Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIO de JANEIRO

I want a Road Bike :)

RIO de JANEIRO

WON...12345

winnar
    poast count +1
    But .... a long NNC session and jerkin' the gherkin to some old-school pr0n... not necessarily in that order. Much cheaper than H&B. JustTooBig
    mtymxdh is right... you have been scammed my dear. Creakyknees

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by mtymxdh
    WON...12345

winnar
    I say right choice. Chi would have been cool and all, but South America deserves their shot.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Spicy Dumpling
    Brazilians for everybody!!!!
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

12 strings, no waiting
    That should be one hell of an opening ceremony, and probably NSFW.

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Rio de Janeiro will host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee announced today. Rio beat out Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo. It is the first time South America will host an Olympics event. The city has budgeted $14.4 billion to the effort, the largest amount of any of the four finalists.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...016/index.html

Gee, I wonder if that's why they won.
    Dictated but not read.

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    What a party that's going to be. I think I might start saving my money now.

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Screw Chicago.....I'm going to Rio.
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

We're no better than mice
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebird
    What a party that's going to be. I think I might start saving my money now.
    Portuguese! Lovely. I'll have to brush up.

Last edited by EverydayRide; 10-02-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter
    Rio de Janeiro will host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee announced today. Rio beat out Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo. It is the first time South America will host an Olympics event. The city has budgeted $14.4 billion to the effort, the largest amount of any of the four finalists.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...016/index.html

Gee, I wonder if that's why they won.
    Nope. They just need to invest the most in order to host the Olympics. Chicago already has most of the capital in place.

I also believe this is the first time in a very long time (ever?) that South America will host the modern Olympics. This is the first time Brazil, and a developing country, will host the Olympics.

Rio de Janiero really deserves this one. Chicago would just be a cluster*uck. The city can't handle the people who are already there, let alone a couple million more for the Olympics.

Edit: totally was not thinking. Should have put South America*
    Last edited by iliveonnitro; 10-02-2009 at 10:25 AM.

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    Nope. They just need to invest the most in order to host the Olympics. Chicago already has most of the capital in place.

I also believe this is the first time in a very long time (ever?) that South Africa will host the modern Olympics. This is the first time Brazil, and a developing country, will host the Olympics.

Rio de Janiero really deserves this one. Chicago would just be a cluster*uck. The city can't handle the people who are already there, let alone a couple million more for the Olympics.
    If you don't think money rules the IOC then I've got a bridge to sell you.
    Dictated but not read.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    It is the first time South America will host an Olympics event.
    That's pretty cool ...

At first I was bummed, because Chicago's a great city. But now I don't mind so much.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

It's a business, lets leave it at that.

Bacon!
    Thongs and feathers baby!

They already said that 100,000 people will be partying tonight and that's just for the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgetop
    Thongs and feathers baby!

They already said that 100,000 people will be partying tonight and that's just for the announcement.
    They're already partying in Chicago now!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    "Rio de Janiero really deserves this one. Chicago would just be a cluster*uck. The city can't handle the people who are already there, let alone a couple million more for the Olympics."

Personally im sick of the whole "chicago has this or that problem, how can they have an olympics" argument. Uhhh, have you ever heard of Los Angeles California or Atlanta, Georgia? Not excatly bastions of safety and organization. But they held kick arse olympic games!! Frankly, the last 8 odd years of bad blood we built up as a country is reflected here, US cities dont usually finish last in these things.

Dirty. Nerdy. Unemployed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmig19
    Personally im sick of the whole "chicago has this or that problem, how can they have an olympics" argument. Uhhh, have you ever heard of Los Angeles California or Atlanta, Georgia? Not excatly bastions of safety and organization. But they held kick arse olympic games!! Frankly, the last 8 odd years of bad blood we built up as a country is reflected here, US cities dont usually finish last in these things.
    final four != last

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bigmig19
    Frankly, the last 8 odd years of bad blood we built up as a country is reflected here, US cities dont usually finish last in these things.
    That's a pretty sweeping statement made on a political slant if I've ever heard one. Look at it historically between 1904 St Louis to 1932 Los Angeles & Lake Placid [9 games in between]. Then go look from 1932 to 1960, Squaw Valley, then 1960 to 1980, almost 20 years.

So lighten up on the politics a bit and give Rio it's first time effort and credit to undertake this event.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    I highly doubt they could have out-bribed Chicago...we're pretty damn good at corruption. This would be a big failure on Mayor Daily's part.

Brazil, fwiw, did deserve the Olympics.

Wave, dammit!
    I agree Brazil deserves their shot. Given how close Chicago is, though, I am a bit bummed about not having the chance to attend an Olympic event. Oh well. Time to start the grassroots movement...

Ottumwa - 2020

Who's with me?!?!?
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Rio was always the odds on favorite. Good for them, hope they have a plan for the traffic though. . .
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

"El Bwana"
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Rio was always the odds on favorite. Good for them, hope they have a plan for the traffic though. . .
    Actually the odds were on Chicago: http://betzoo.co.uk/obama-effect-has...6-olympic-bid/

The sentimental favorite was Rio.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

wots...uh the deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569
    Ottumwa - 2020

Who's with me?!?!?
    Got my vote. I lived there for about 5 months. Could be a very beautiful city if they got some industry back and fixed up all them old Victorian houses.
    martymoose

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PDex
    Actually the odds were on Chicago: http://betzoo.co.uk/obama-effect-has...6-olympic-bid/

The sentimental favorite was Rio.
    All the actual news coverage I saw said Rio was the favorite, and Chicago was the late bloomer due to the push from the Obama's.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

ToF
    yup
    I was kind of hoping for Madrid. But only because I want to go there more than I want to go to Rio. That Chicago lost may have something to do with the fact that the last two Olympics in the U.S. were 1. marred by a bombing (Atlanta) 2. marred by major corruption scandals (SLC). Lets give another country a chance to screw it up for a change!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rio is one of the most dangerous cities in the world and rated the second most dangerous city for tourists (losing out to cities in Africa). The poverty is mind-boggling as well. Wonder how they will deal with that - the government doesn't control much of the city, which is controlled by drug lords/gangs, and a good % of the police are corrupt...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast