Thread: RIP Adam West

30 mpdb

RIP Adam West

TV Batman actor Adam West dies at 88 - BBC News

"West died peacefully in Los Angeles after a brief battle with leukaemia, a family spokesperson said.His tongue-in-cheek portrayal of Batman and the superhero's alter ego Bruce Wayne won a cult following.
    However, West later struggled to find acting work. He most recently played a character in the animated comedy Family Guy.
    West was born in 1928 in Walla Walla, Washington state, and began his acting career in Hawaii in the 1950s.
    He is survived by his wife, Marcelle, six children, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren."

I remember growing up, my brothers and I would always watch reruns of Batman at my grandparents house. It's sad to see an icon from your childhood go.

a real member's member
    Robin: Holy jumble! Where's the hope of the world now?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    RIP Batman. Duked it out but even superheroes can't beat certain things

Devoid of all flim-flam
    That show created a sensation. It was the proverbial new template for television series. I was in junior high school at the time. We couldn't wait to watch it. Everything else seemed so stale. Adam West was perfectly cast. RIP.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Rest in peace, Mr. West. You'll always be the only real Batman.

Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty View Post
    TV Batman actor Adam West dies at 88 - BBC News

"West died peacefully in Los Angeles after a brief battle with leukaemia, a family spokesperson said.His tongue-in-cheek portrayal of Batman and the superhero's alter ego Bruce Wayne won a cult following.
    However, West later struggled to find acting work. He most recently played a character in the animated comedy Family Guy.
    Kind of a stupid obit. Adam West was a reasonably significant recurring character on Family Guy (he played himself on the show, as 'Mayor West'), and Family Guy is a pretty significant show... it's not like West died penniless, unknown, and destitute. He went out still-famous, which is pretty good for an 88-year-old in Hollywood.

Guess the BBC is just clueless on the Westinator. More the pity for them.

RIP AW. You were always cool.

Last edited by SystemShock; 06-12-2017 at 06:22 AM.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    RIP.

Did this guy cover-up his voice as well when playing batman? This ruined the character for me.

Seat's not level
    BAM ! Kapow !
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Kind of a stupid obit. Adam West was a reasonably significant recurring character on Family Guy (he played himself on the show, as 'Mayor West'), and Family Guy is a pretty significant show... it's not like West died penniless, unknown, and destitute. He went out still-famous, which is pretty good for an 88-year-old in Hollywood.

Guess the BBC is just clueless on the Westinator. More the pity for them.

RIP AW. You were always cool.

The LA Times did a first class obit. I'd include the link here but I'm too lazy.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    NEVER leave home without your "Bat Shark Repellent"!

RIP Adam West-adamwest.jpg

RIP Adam West-alwaysready.jpg

a real member's member
    ever seen the cast who played the villains in that tv series? they're all heavy hitters: eli wallach, ida lupino, burgess meredith, van johnson, george sanders, vincent price, milton berle, etc. etc.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    NEVER leave home without your "Bat Shark Repellent"!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AdamWest.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	319372

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alwaysready.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	319373

I always loved how 'camp' the original Batman TV series was.

In fact, that might be the show that invented camp on TV.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

a real member's member
    that might be the show that invented camp on TV.
    a few other campy shows preceded it by just a couple years: the munsters, get smart, gilligan's island, mister ed, and the addams family.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    a few other campy shows preceded it by just a couple years: the munsters, get smart, gilligan's island, mister ed, and the addams family.
    You sure those other shows were really 'camp'? Or did they become so later on, as viewed through the lens of hipster-vision and ironic-TV-viewing?

Gilligan's Island, for example, struck me as more just silly than anything else.

Whereas Batman was in-your-face camp from the very beginning.

Of course, camp resides in the eye of the beholder to some extent, doesn't it?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    System Shock has it down. By critical consensus, Batman was the first show to embrace its badness, in other words, be campy. Sure, there were assorted sitcoms in the 1950's where the actors would break the fourth wall and ironically address the audience (George Burns did this in Burns and Allen), but Batman brought the notion to a whole new level.

a real member's member
    You sure those other shows were really 'camp'? Or did they become so later on, as viewed through the lens of hipster-vision and ironic-TV-viewing? Gilligan's Island, for example, struck me as more just silly than anything else. Whereas Batman was in-your-face camp from the very beginning. Of course, camp resides in the eye of the beholder to some extent, doesn't it?
    two grown men bunkbedding while a movie star walks around a deserted island in an evening gown? sounds rather campy to me.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    ever seen the cast who played the villains in that tv series? they're all heavy hitters: eli wallach, ida lupino, burgess meredith, van johnson, george sanders, vincent price, milton berle, etc. etc.
    Don't forget Ertha Kitt.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had to google it. I must live under a rock. For the benefit of others:

Camp (n.) and Campy (adj.): Being so extreme that it has an amusing and sometimes perversely sophisticated appeal. Over the top and farcical, intentionally exaggerated so as not to be taken seriously. Found primarily in television, theatre and motion pictures, camp endeavors for satire and, for those who fully understand and appreciate the risible nature of its material, it's not surprising when it develops a cult following.