Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

RIP Marco Simoncelli

Not sure if anyone here is a MotoGP follower as of late, but every time there's a loss, it's pretty a horrific sight. Really makes me second guess how cool everything is in the world of motorcycle racing. Simoncelli was pretty much the only rider on the grid who fit the description "up and coming". He was mixing it up, and already going balls-out to hang with the elite riders and was set to promote to Honda's factory team.

"Horrific" really is the term I'd use. Simoncelli's helmet popped as Colin Edwards (unintentionally) rode over him after he lowsided. This was at the start of the Malaysian GP. Fearlessness can be mistaken with invincibility, and I guess a number of MotoGP followers are again realizing that.

Sorry to throw the names around the unfamiliar, but I honestly didn't think things would be uglier than Daijiro Kato's fatal crash in 2002.

Linked instead of embedded for those who can get rather uneasy:
    Marco Simoncelli horrific crash in Sepang Malaysia - YouTube

RIP

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Wow that was bad...
    RIP Marco

On the wrong floor again
    So sorry. Two weeks in a row with racing deaths. Not good.
    "I swear to god, if you wreck this airplane I'll help you pay the deductable but I'm not touching the yoke again"

Quote Originally Posted by Qstick333 View Post
    I just got an email from her saying..."don't worry, they were store bought. a$$hole."
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Rouge View Post
    Indeed it is. Nothing left of the horse but a sun-bleached skeleton, and still the beating goes on.

Master debator.
    That sux.
    RIP.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    RIP. Nothing worse than that. Very sad for MotoGP and Mcycling.

Fierce Pancake
    He was tipped to be the next Rossi. Some say Rossi may retire after this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

banned
    Oct 2011
    I saw Simoncelli race at Laguna Seca this year. That was a pretty nasty crash.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qatarbhoy View Post
    Some say Rossi may retire after this.
    I haven't come across any word of that. They were very close, but I can't imagine Rossi turning away from the sport - at least I hope not. Very unlucky that his nightmare season has been topped off by being directly involved with the incident, although not as much as Edwards. A video with slightly extended footage shows Edwards somewhat limping towards Marco with his own dislocated shoulder. Sad sight.

In the NNC world, even Contador addressed Marco. Would've never guessed that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    That's horrible. I keep up with MotoGP and he was definitely one of the more exciting although controversial racers. Had SOME hopes for him maybe challenging Stoner next year after his runaway championship this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    It's such a shame, it was easy to pick out Simoncelli's from the crowd this year, especially given how fast the kid showed to be on a non-factory bike. He was bound for success, this is a dark day for MotoGP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
    It's such a shame, it was easy to pick out Simoncelli's from the crowd this year, especially given how fast the kid showed to be on a non-factory bike. He was bound for success, this is a dark day for MotoGP.
    Actually, he did have a factory bike this year. Gresini Honda has at least one rider supplied with a factory RCV as of late (actually I think it goes all the way back to Gibernau and Kato). But the difference of team is there. Sic likely wouldn't get priority on development/parts unless he was in the Respol Honda pitbox.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Ah-ha, thanks for that info. I'm more or less a casual observer of MotoGP (as a motorsport fan in general), so I wasn't aware of that specific arrangement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    i just joined the forums after getting my first road bike and its sad that this is what my first post is about but...
    Super Sic was a great guy. I met him in the paddocks at laguna this year and even got him to take a picture with my girlfriend. he, and all of the other rockstars on the motogp grid are great people. i was really shocked when i woke up early this morning to this news. sounds weird, but i actually got numbed by the news. never good when any sport loses someone doing what they do best...
    RIP Marco

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repete View Post
    sounds weird, but i actually got numbed by the news.
    Yeah, same here (as you can tell by how attentive I am to the thread). I'm a Rossi fan, and have been mostly having a one-sided focus to the season revolving around him and Ducati's mess so I'll admit I wasn't anywhere close to being Marco's #1 fan. Not for a second I'd think this could happen to anyone in modern GP, especially Sic. And then suddenly the news hits.

Young rider, virtually born into the sport, pushed forward and sometimes played anti-hero on the grid, taking anything that got in his path. That's just not the person you expect dead, and I could only imagine what kind of life that was.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    im definitely a rossi fan for sure, but i admire all of the riders with talent enough to race motorbikes at the premier class level (some more than others). sic was definitely a standout guy from other past rookies or sophomores. very likable and great personality. i feel horrible for colin as well, imagine what he's going through, although it wasnt his fault at all, there must still be some guilt in his mind.

PRB
    Bibo Ergo Sum
    He was destined for greatness and livened up the series. A sad day for motorcycle racing.

RIP 'Super Sic'.
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

banned
    I had recorded the race this morning and sat down tonight to watch. I was immediately stunned. I knew as soon as I saw his helmet rolling he was gone. Rest peacefully Marco.

Don't Tread on Me
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by qatarbhoy View Post
    He was tipped to be the next Rossi. Some say Rossi may retire after this.
    Rossi has another year on his contract with Ducati.

After next year now, I wouldn't be surprised. He always said he wanted to finish his career on the Ducati, and losing one of his best friends will only persuade him to do so even more

Riposa in pace Super Sic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As for motorsports, I primarily follow pro MX and SX. However, I do admire the skill and bravery of the MotoGP riders

And yes, that was really a ghastly crash. Before Colin even made contact, Marco was completely off the side of the bike and out of control. Just a low side or had he already collided with another racer? Just curious since the video didn't show what actually precipitated the accident.
    "I think the bicycle is the best piece of exercise equipment known to man."
    -Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1PA View Post
    Just a low side or had he already collided with another racer?
    Lowside from what reports say.

There probably isn't data kept on what propagated it. It was just going into the second lap, but with current tire technology it's hard to judge if it was cold or not, and apparently the bike was able to veer inward (partly thanks to traction control). But regardless, it was an unfortunate lowside.

PRB
    Bibo Ergo Sum
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1PA View Post
    Before Colin even made contact, Marco was completely off the side of the bike and out of control. Just a low side or had he already collided with another racer? Just curious since the video didn't show what actually precipitated the accident.
    It looked to me like the tires lost their grip and he tried to muscle it back up with his knee (a common practice in road racing). He managed to do that but unfortunately when they regained grip the bike was pointed towards the middle of the track and shot forward right into the path of Edwards and Rossi.
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by takl23 View Post
    So sorry. Two weeks in a row with racing deaths. Not good.
    Yes. And these things come in threes. Probably a good time for these racers to do their thing with extra caution.

Not Banned
    really sad
    it's a dangerous sport and part of what made Super Sic 'up and coming' was that aggression that lets you run the ragged edge
    really a big loss for the sport
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    You guys were correct, a lowside caused him to veer hard into Colin's path. Interesting point Ventruck how traction control may have exacerbated the situation. The video below contains on-board footage from Alvaro Bautista. He was immediately behind Marco and lucky not to be involved in the accident. It really is a sport where tenths of a second make all the difference.

*** Please note the title of this video and watch at your own discretion. ***

RIP Marco.
    "I think the bicycle is the best piece of exercise equipment known to man."
    -Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Tragic for sure but we should all be so lucky to go out like that.

A instant of an "oh, ****" moment and then oblivion...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast