Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Crusty AF
    Reputation: drussell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,210

    Risk Management Says NO!

    Office safety may have officially lost the plot.

    Coming back from a, uh, "waste management meeting", I walked through a group of 6 people dry fitting those round mirrors you see in parking garages to the office ceilings. My guess is to help people moving at a walking pace avoid bumping into each other as they go around a corner.

    This officially a solution in search of a problem.

    https://www.inc.com/suzanne-lucas/wh...ml?cid=sf01001
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

  2. #2
    hfc
    hfc is online now
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Reputation: hfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,172
    No, they're to hide the cameras watching you post on RBR.

  3. #3
    Crusty AF
    Reputation: drussell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,210
    Nah. We're a big enough company they have software to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

  4. #4
    half-fast
    Reputation: 10ae1203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,132
    Could be worse.

    https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...mployees-death

    The surviving worker in this accident was fired for being a problem, or a thorn in the company's side, depending on who you believe.

    I'm not saying that the nanny culture is the way to go, but there is a duty to protect those we work with.

    Those mirrors aren't going to do anything anyhow. What you need is a proximity sensor in people's mobile devices to put off a tone and vibrate to warn of collision hazards.

  5. #5
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    18,976
    Name:  safetyThird.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  16.9 KB
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

    Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    570
    What's needed is for people to quit looking at their ******* phones when they're walking around and to have some situational awareness.

  7. #7
    Crusty AF
    Reputation: drussell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Could be worse.

    https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...mployees-death

    The surviving worker in this accident was fired for being a problem, or a thorn in the company's side, depending on who you believe.

    I'm not saying that the nanny culture is the way to go, but there is a duty to protect those we work with.

    Those mirrors aren't going to do anything anyhow. What you need is a proximity sensor in people's mobile devices to put off a tone and vibrate to warn of collision hazards.
    Don't get me wrong. I quite like going home to get both hugs and grief (sometimes concurrently) from my 3YO. I work mainly with the mining sector, and am all for protecting workers in environments like that. I just feel that when bumping into someone in the hallway is considered a near miss, a bit of perspective is needed. As the article I linked indicates: when you start treating everything as a genuine hazard, you stop taking the real ones as seriously as you should. Your signal-to-noise ratio goes to $hit and you get safety fatigue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

  8. #8
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,499
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    What's needed is for people to quit looking at their ******* phones when they're walking around and to have some situational awareness.
    Why do you hate America?

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    570
    They should do that while driving like most others.

  10. #10
    half-fast
    Reputation: 10ae1203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,132
    Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I quite like going home to get both hugs and grief (sometimes concurrently) from my 3YO. I work mainly with the mining sector, and am all for protecting workers in environments like that. I just feel that when bumping into someone in the hallway is considered a near miss, a bit of perspective is needed. As the article I linked indicates: when you start treating everything as a genuine hazard, you stop taking the real ones as seriously as you should. Your signal-to-noise ratio goes to $hit and you get safety fatigue.
    That's true.

  11. #11
    Custom Title= ?
    Reputation: Bixe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    762
    My office staff wear life jackets due to the constant risk of becoming inundated in bull$hit.
    Qh6+!!

  12. #12
    Avid smart-ass
    Reputation: Pete in MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    48
    Why don't they just have the staff cover themselves in bubble wrap every morning? Or buy inflatable sumo wrestler costumes for everyone?
    2015 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon
    2015 Scott Solace 30

  13. #13
    Crusty AF
    Reputation: drussell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete in MD View Post
    Why don't they just have the staff cover themselves in bubble wrap every morning? Or buy inflatable sumo wrestler costumes for everyone?
    Because we're a consulting firm, and those measures aren't project billable :-)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,477
    I'm in the same boat as drussel, Rio Tinto has even been a client. I'm also the office H&S guy (in an office of 2).

    The thing you need to remember about a lot of the H&S "nanny state" isn't so much that relative non-issues need to be treated as genuine hazards for their own sake. It's that doing that helps modify employee behavior / corporate culture so that looking for and recognizing hazards becomes second nature.

    Google "the Bradly Model" or "incident pyramid". Basically, for every 10,000 "bumping into someone in the hall" incidents that you prevent, you also prevent a much smaller number of serious incidents. If you create a culture that obsesses over paper cuts etc. your employees automatically become trained to recognize "real" hazards too.

    But I agree, all the work to document that minor stuff is a pain in the butt. And not billable.

Similar Threads

  1. Risk Management
    By freethelemmings in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 11:08 PM
  2. Kerry says he is not running until he says he is...
    By thatsmybush in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 01:20 PM
  3. Treadmill test says max=175, HRM says 184
    By jshelton in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 02:57 PM
  4. Bush says government was ignorant of risk to levees
    By Fredke in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 04:29 PM
  5. Has anyone here been in retail management?
    By Free2Pedal in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •