Proud luddite

Risks of second-hand exposure to e-cigarette vapor?

A family member just started smoking e-cigarettes and insists that it's o.k. to do it in the house because the vapor is safe....and that those of us who are exposed to the vapor are not at risk. My quick stab at online research shows that there isn't a whole lot of research done on this, and the main sites that claim the e-cigarettes are harmless are, of course, the manufacturers' websites.

So since the Lounje is all knowing, what's the scoop....should we make the family member smoke the e-cigarettes outside or are we truly safe when being exposed to the vapor? I should mention that we have cats too, and we want them to be safe from possible toxins as well.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Yah, smoking is smoking. Tell them to get the hell out.

Low rep power
    Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert on e-cigarettes.

That said, the major hazards of second hand smoke from regular cigarettes result from products of combustion, which are not present in the electronic versions. While I'm sure that there's some environmental exposure to nicotine from the e-version, I haven't seen anything yet that quantifies this (which would be really useful). If it were my house, I'd think about defaulting to outside use, but it wouldn't be an evidence-based move...
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

Le Misérable
    It's probably not dangerous...but a) why take the chance with a highly-synthetic unknown, and b) smoking outside is a good principle, regardless.

Besides, it's not like you live in Edmonton: s/he isn't going to get frostbite.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Who's paying the rent/mortgage? That person should decide.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    A family member just started smoking e-cigarettes and insists that it's o.k. to do it in the house because the vapor is safe....and that those of us who are exposed to the vapor are not at risk. My quick stab at online research shows that there isn't a whole lot of research done on this, and the main sites that claim the e-cigarettes are harmless are, of course, the manufacturers' websites.

So since the Lounje is all knowing, what's the scoop....should we make the family member smoke the e-cigarettes outside or are we truly safe when being exposed to the vapor? I should mention that we have cats too, and we want them to be safe from possible toxins as well.
    And the sites that are saying it's bad are, surprise surprise, the anti smoking zealots.

I say zealots because ecigarettes eliminate every single criticism of regular cigarettes - the smoke, the odor, the cancer risk, etc, yet anti smoking groups still oppose them. The answer is simple, really. A large organization dedicated to eradicating something would have no reason to exist if they succeeded in their goal. So they must find new demons to pursue in order to stay relevant. Hence, their opposition to ecigarettes.

Mrs69 uses those. It's water vapor. Once in a while I catch a whiff of something minty. It's certainly less of a health hazard for me than her, and its WAAAYYY less of a health hazard for her than smoking real cigarettes.

All in all, I'd guess drinking the tap water or not washing your hands after you poop is probably a bigger health hazard than these things.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    All in all, I'd guess drinking the tap water or not washing your hands after you poop is probably a bigger health hazard than these things.
    Wait a minute....we're supposed to wash our hands after we poop???

I drank what?
    I seriously doubt there any second hand issues with it.
    q_and_a - "I don't really have an appropriate response for this situation" so you'll have to wait 30 seconds for a reply

RoadBikeReview Member
    on a similiar topic.... the few people that I know who have switched to these (and pretty much use them everywhere) think they are actully worse since they can use them anywhere as opposed to cigarrettes which they had to take a break and go outside to smoke

discuss amongst yerselves...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I switched over to the e-cig about three weeks ago and within a week felt better. No more cough and don't get winded like I used to. I wouldn't be worried in the least about second hand vapor. The nicotine isn't what is so harmful about a cigarette to begin with, and the only other ingredients in e-liquid are propylene glycol (which amongst other things can be found in asthma inhalers and nebulizers), vegetable glycerin, and flavoring.

I'd recommend anyone who smokes to make the switch to a personal vaporizer over smoking. I feel it's safer, not to mention a heck of a lot cheaper if you refill your own cartomizer/cartidge.
    Sent from my Personal Computer while tapping on the keyboard

Fred the Clydesdale
    No. You should only wash your hands after you wipe your butt after pooping. Or, if you are a bedouin, you may use your left hand to wipe (using sand) and your right hand to eat with.

Of course, if you don't touch your food when you eat or shake hands or handle door knobs, or bicycle handlebars, then it is ok not to wash your hands.

HTH.
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Firstly, you only need to wash your hands post-poop if the toilet paper develops a hole, also known technically as 'breaching the hull'.

Secondly, most of the mind controlling drugs that they (the Government) put in e-cigarettes do not enter the local atmosphere at high enough concentration to fully enslave you, so you're good to go.

RoadBikeReview Member

Yes they are less harmfull.

We have one if those guys, you know the guy who has to push every rule to the limit. So we go to a military formation , in uniform, inside, and this guy pulls out a e-cig and starts puffy ing away.
    People told him to stop but he was bound and determined to prove his point.
    Bill

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by idris icabod View Post
    Firstly, you only need to wash your hands post-poop if the toilet paper develops a hole, also known technically as 'breaching the hull'.
    I'll add that amendment to the "must wash hands before returning to work" sign in the employee bathroom at the restaurant.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Eddy 53:11
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Wait a minute....we're supposed to wash our hands after we poop???
    What about second hand exposure to poop vapor? Is IT harmful?
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    How'd that work out for him?

For what it is worth, The e-cigs are not authorized for use in gubment buildings.

Do what he say!

What about smoking an e-cig while pooping? I heard there may be a risk of the cig vapor combining with the poo vapor, creating a combustible, stinky gas.
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

No go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by j__h View Post
    I seriously doubt there any second hand issues with it.
    not if that hand has poop on it
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
    What about second hand exposure to poop vapor? Is IT harmful?
    only if you smoke it

SuperAndy's Garage

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    WOW! I really learned a lot in only 19 posts!
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

Get me to In&Out
    Quote Originally Posted by idris icabod View Post
    As a married man I call this "getting some a$$".
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Dr. Buzz Killington
    The risk of second-hand exposure to e-cigs asymptotically approaches zero.

RoadBikeReview Member
    i'm starting to see people 'vape' in cinemas. annoying.
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com