You Phillip mah census

Roach extermination

I very seldom get cockroaches in my apartment as I'm up on the 5th floor. But one showed up last night just before bedtime and there's no way I'm sleeping with that critter smooching around. I'm a firm believer in justice swift and sure when it comes to roaches-I just whap 'em upside the head with an old newspaper. Last night I came up with something so simple and effortless I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it before....GRAVITY. I'd got it cornered on the hardwood part of my flooring, poised with newspaper in hand, then I noticed an old baseball I have lying around in a glove. I picked it up, held it over the roach from a height of about half a metre and ...just..let..go. Old roachypants never even saw it coming. No swoosh of air, sudden vibration or noise to give the game away. Anyone else try this? How do loungers show the door to those cute little fellers?
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

n00bsauce
    Orkin.

Reminds me of the time in college (many, many moons ago) when we had to call the exterminator. Two guys walked in the door and one went to a kitchen cupboard door and opened it up. He looked in and turned to his co-worker and said "Yeah Joe, they got 'em bad." We knew it was time to call the exterminator when the roaches started dropping in partiers beer cups.

BTW, if there's one there's a mother.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Master of my Domain
    One of the great things about Colorado - Haven't seen a cucharache since SoCal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Heloise has a great roach dough recipe, using flour, oil, sugar, and boric acid. Roll it up into little balls, place in various spots away from pets and kids, and the roaches eat it up.

I make "ghetto roach motels" using old tubes and rubber bands. Stuff them with roach dough, secure lengthwise with one rubber band. I figure this keeps them from drying out as quickly.

You Phillip mah census
    If I was getting loads of roaches I'd go this route as insecticides are a waste of time, but I so seldom get them that I think I'll stick to my trusty baseball for now. Besides, it was fun.

Tig
    Valar Morghulis
    We saw the first one in several months last night.
    Teh kittehs quickly dispatched it.
    Problem solved!

Many people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    A roach on the 5th floor??? No way!...everbody KNOWS they's a feared of heights .

RoadBikeReview Member
    When is your lease up? I would get out of there. Otherwise you will be constantly trying to get rid of them since it is originating from someone elses unit.

Low rep power
    Boric acid at the floor-wall corners.

We lived next to a couple of entemologists for a while, and this was their suggestion. According to them, roaches are the world's cleanest insects and are continually cleaning themselves, like cats. The boric acid gets on them, and acts like ground glass when they ingest it.....

But the baseball method does reward those with good hand-eye coordination

You Phillip mah census
    Everybody but the roach it seems.

You Phillip mah census
    I've only seen a handful in the ten years I've been living here. I'm guessing they are attracted to the slight drip of water from my aircon unit out on the balcony. I've dealt with the water situation so I'll just wait and see what transpires.

Resident Dutchbag
    Check for egg capsules. If you don't, and if there is one, you'll have dozens of the little effers running around that will produce dozens of offspring for each female quite soon.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by saf-t
    Boric acid at the floor-wall corners.

We lived next to a couple of entemologists for a while, and this was their suggestion. According to them, roaches are the world's cleanest insects and are continually cleaning themselves, like cats. The boric acid gets on them, and acts like ground glass when they ingest it.....

But the baseball method does reward those with good hand-eye coordination

boric acid (or borox) is great if you have fleas as well. sprinkle it in your carpet, lawn, whatever. that and it does create a fresh smell as well.

heck when the yard was redone, we threw about 2 big boxes of borax into the soil when it was getting roto-tilled. havent seen a flea on any of the pets since.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/