AIE
    midnight melon mounter

Roasted wings = turned out pretty good

I've always been skeptical about doing wings in the oven, and I never gave them a shot. But I finally tried and I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart from fried. The quality of the chicken I use is also a hell of a lot better than the Sysco garbage the wings places use.

I did two sauces. For the kiddos, reduce and strain:

soy/ginger/garlic/honey/water

For adults, reduce and strain:

Franks, butter, cayenne

Neither required salt because reduced soy and/or reduced hot sauce is salty enough. Oh, and I cooked at 400F for 40 minutes on parchment-lined baking trays. Parchment helps brown a bit and your house won't smell like burnt grease.

Only problem was I made too few. Two and a half pounds is what you see here (minus three wings I ate). Not enough for two hungry adults and some kids.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roasted wings = turned out pretty good-wangs.jpg  

Frog Whisperer
    is there a game or something today?....or is it just national wing day?

sounds good can you mail me some?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AIE View Post
    I've always been skeptical about doing wings in the oven, and I never gave them a shot. But I finally tried and I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart from fried. The quality of the chicken I use is also a hell of a lot better than the Sysco garbage the wings places use.

I did two sauces. For the kiddos, reduce and strain:

soy/ginger/garlic/honey/water

For adults, reduce and strain:

Franks, butter, cayenne

Neither required salt because reduced soy and/or reduced hot sauce is salty enough. Oh, and I cooked at 400F for 40 minutes on parchment-lined baking trays. Parchment helps brown a bit and your house won't smell like burnt grease.

Only problem was I made too few. Two and a half pounds is what you see here (minus three wings I ate). Not enough for two hungry adults and some kids.
    Damn! They look so good! You did it right by baking them. No sense in using a fryer and wasting over 5 gallons of oil. What works really well is if you have a wire mesh rack and elevate them above your baking sheet. This way they crisp up really quick and brown on both sides. If you have a convection oven, you will be even better and quicker. Try the rack as the grease will fall off and they won't be swimming in it.

gazing from the shadows
    400F
    Try higher next time.

We always throw them in at 475... on parchment.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

AIE
    midnight melon mounter
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Try higher next time.

We always throw them in at 475... on parchment.
    45 minutes?

Frog Whisperer
    My wife just bought another case of parchment, I love the stuff...
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

gazing from the shadows
    45 minutes?
    Until they are done. However long that takes, depending of they are straight from the fridge or if that have marinated an hour on the counter.

So about 45 minutes or so, more or less. I usually set the timer for 30 and start checking then.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004
    I've always roasted wings in dry rub, but then I can't stand grease. I roast 'em and drain the grease after I turn them. Probably 45 minutes more or less. And Q3 is right - you need to do them at high heat.

my dry rub is Old Bay, nothing fancy, and my wing dip is just butter and Frank's Red Hot.
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

smell my finger
    Sep 2007
    Oh boy yum it is

just ride your bike
    Made about 5 dozen yesterday in the deep fryer (several batches so I only used 48oz of oil); half with straight Frank's, and half with a mixture of equal parts soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, and a bit of sesame oil.

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by desurfer View Post
    Made about 5 dozen yesterday in the deep fryer (several batches so I only used 48oz of oil); half with straight Frank's, and half with a mixture of equal parts soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, and a bit of sesame oil.
    desurfer, judging by your avatar, you might like my Old Bay dry rub idea.
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

just ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    desurfer, judging by your avatar, you might like my Old Bay dry rub idea.
    Never tried Old Bay on wings, but I'm sure it's good, like everything else you can put it on!