We have met the enemy...

Round 2 in kidney saga goes to me!

Had the followup procedure yesterday to remove the temporary plumbing aid to allow my kidney to heal from probable blunt force trauma.

It has been more than a little annoying to be relatively inactive since mid-December. Not painful exactly, but annoying and restrictive (I'd start bleeding if I overdid things, like the last round of snow-shoveling.)

TMI, I know, but I am really pleased to have a narcotics hangover, no bleeding, no more hardware and a picture of the interior of my kidney showing how well it is healed.

(It looks like the picture of the inside of a balloon, taken through the neck...Cystoscopic procedure, using tiny instruments. Geez, science is grand!)

So back on the bike in a few days I hope--Spring is coming, and unlike T0G, no roller work and no miles last fall, so it will be uphill both ways for a while.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Russian Troll Farmer
    As a person living with failed kidneys, I hope that your GFR numbers are at least in the 30's. Dialysis is a b*tch.......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    As a person living with failed kidneys, I hope that your GFR numbers are at least in the 30's. Dialysis is a b*tch.......
    Sorry to hear that you are a permanent sufferer.

Mine was straight physical damage that was bad enough to incapacitate me, so straight to emergency, triage etc & so far as anyone can tell, no lasting damage. It did scare the beejeezuz out me--and my New Year's resolution was to be kinder to my body!

There was some concern along the way about a mass--but it turned out to be scar tissue/clotting so no harm, no foul.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Glad to hear it's one less annoying thing to deal with! Pretty scary to start bleeding from physical activity.

Frog Whisperer
    Glad to hear Pare, I have several friends with seriously impaired kidneys that do regular dialysis, none of them speak highly of it. Now get on your bike and RIDE
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Glad to hear bike riding is in your near future. On the even brighter side you were off the bike in winter instead of prime riding weather (assuming northern hemisphere).

What was your trauma? Bike crash? Ninja patrol? Bar fight?

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    .......... I have several friends with seriously impaired kidneys that do regular dialysis, none of them speak highly of it. .....
    I nominate this post as "understatement of the week"....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, unfortunately no way to truly understand good health until it is gone; Joni Mitchell concurs. However, I think it is safe to say cyclists still have a special appreciation for being healthy, staying healthy, and taking advantage of their health.

Glad you are on the mend paredown I am sure despite being out of shape, getting out and riding will bring an extra level of appreciation after it being taken away from you for awhile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Wish you a speedy recovery and long miles of good health!

Frog Whisperer
    It is true
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

We have met the enemy...
    Thanks all--appreciate the kind thoughts and the encouragement.

The thing is--the source of the problem is a little mysterious--but likely stemmed from a fall when I was cutting wood. I was scrambling across the log pile, a log rolled and I went down hard, landing crosswise to a log, right on the kidney area. No hands out to save myself because I was carrying the chain saw (not running--I am not a complete idjit!)

Weirdly though, I didn't notice anything other than excruciating pain (no blood when urinating), tiled a floor the next day in crazy pain, and then went through more than a few days of what I thought was a weird pain and back-ache--or so I said to my wife--back pain, but you know, "different".

More than a week later, I stood up from the couch, doubled over in pain, went to the bathroom, and all hell broke loose....

So the question that puzzles (and for which the surgeon had no full explanation) is "why the delay on the bleed?"

(Along the way, when they first did round 1--the clean up and cauterizing--and it was pretty beat up--there was as secondary scare that there indeed was some kind of mass in the kidney, (biopsied but inconclusive), so they stented and let everything heal.)

Round 2 this past week was exploratory--was there a mass, would they have to biopsy again, would the stent go back in?

Instead, they went in and everything was healed, stent came out, and they are so confident they didn't even feel it necessary to schedule a follow-up!

A crazy explanation of the delay is that previous damage (I had a serious fall previously on the same side/area) had already left clots in the kidney that acted as a kind of screen for this recent fall until it got really bad--or I simply missed the first traces of blood...

However you cut it (really bad pun) I am a very lucky guy!
    Last edited by paredown; 03-05-2017 at 02:23 PM.
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is morbidly fascinating. Maybe you peed in the dark at some point and missed seeing blood?

I can't believe you were tiling in extreme pain. Misery on top of misery, can't get my mind around it!

The body is a machine that's been fine-tuning itself for millions of years. Amazing how it works around our own stupidity and stubbornness!

half-fast
    Damn, dude.

Heal up.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    This is morbidly fascinating. Maybe you peed in the dark at some point and missed seeing blood?

I can't believe you were tiling in extreme pain. Misery on top of misery, can't get my mind around it!

The body is a machine that's been fine-tuning itself for millions of years. Amazing how it works around our own stupidity and stubbornness!
    Well, this was part of what made me think I have not been kind to my body...

And, yes--I could well have missed the first signs, and the clots would have prevented more...

Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Damn, dude.

Heal up.
    I know, right? Stubborn men do stupid stuff. Thanks for the good wishes...
    John Rogers