Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    It's complexicated

Baron's Story with a Happy* Ending

*Happy because the last three weeks have left our Boy partially paralyzed, but he's still with us.

Baron has been through a lot for a tiny daschund who never bothered anyone. He's been nearly peeled by a dalmatian, requiring 37 or 38 stitches. He suffered spinal stenosis and had surgery to take pressure off his nerves into his front legs. (That was a whole thread in itself 3 1/2 years ago.) And now this.....

Three weeks ago Baron was screaming with pain and knuckling under his back feet. He went from mobile to unable walk in just the space of 4 hours on a Friday afternoon. VaughnA and I rushed him to the vet. Our regular vet said if he didn't have surgery right away, it could be chronic and permanent. So we drove him two+ hours away to a vet hospital. The doctor there examined him and discovered a heart murmur. Being afraid of Baron dying on the operating table, she chose to wait 3 days to for a cardiologist to be on the premises... on Monday. I argued that he had handled anesthesia just fine just 2 months before when his teeth were cleaned. His doctor had said Baron needed immediate attention, not a morphine drip. I was just p***ing in the wind, and she insisted on waiting. Sunday I got a call... Baron had lost all Motor in his back end and he was going into surgery. A week later we picked him up. He was paralyzed despite all our best attempts to avoid this outcome. I was heartbroken that I was not going to be able to go to 24HoB, but I was going to be home to care for The Boy. Then we were told he needed longer hospital care and I chose to make the trip to Atlanta. We brought him home Tuesday after Booty; it had been 10 days at that point.

Since then he's been a lot of work. He can't control his pee or poop. We have to squeeze him several times a day... but at least he's not bladder incontinent. He's got an awful case of separation anxiety. I can't even go downstairs to do the laundry without him howling in despair and/or panic. I do physical therapy at least 3 times a day. He doesn't want anyone but me to do it. And I have to bribe him to do PT with my homemade puppy cookies made with apples, carrots and spent grains from beer brewing. His tail wags and that's a huge improvement. But when I thump or tickle his feet... nothing. I think some motor is very slowly coming back. But it's not ever going to fully return. Vaughn is a great help caring for Baron, but since I'm at home, I hear the constant crying and I'm really stressed out...

Today his wheels finally arrived. He was so happy to be able to move independently that it took only a few minutes for him to adjust to his doggie wheelchair. He followed us around for the first time in weeks. You can see the sparkle in his eyes again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sad Pet Story with a Happy* Ending-baronwheels.jpg  
    Last edited by The Missus; 10-18-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: I didn't like the title....
    Help Support Team Collin. Check out my website MellysArt.com. A portion of every print sold will go to 24 Hours of Booty. All of the proceeds from the note cards goes to support the fight against cancer.

"Hill Repeats are easy. Chemo is hard." ~VaughnA, survivor 24 years and counting

Power Napper
    That is amazing and incredibly adorable. There are people who will tell you that you should have put him down, but they just don't get it.

Rock on Baron!
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Man, a weiner dog on wheels to me would have meant a food truck but I'm glad you found the contraption for Baron.

I typically don't like small dogs but daschunds have a special place in my heart, they are such sweet dogs. I hope the therapy continues to bring more improvement to his QOL. I think he really has two great owners to go to those extremes, too. Best of luck to all three of you.
    Dictated but not read.

Frog Whisperer
    he looks good considering......now, lets talk about those wheels......steel?....alloy?...Ti?.......can you get different colored tires for it?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Spicy Dumpling
    I'm soooo tempted to build a wing on the wheel uprights and a drag chute pack on the back. We are drag racing fans after all. . And he definitely needs a lounge sticker or two.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    I'm soooo tempted to build a wing on the wheel uprights and a drag chute pack on the back. We are drag racing fans after all. . And he definitely needs a lounge sticker or two.
    You can't post something like that and at least make a mockup for a pic. That sounds glorious.
    Dictated but not read.

Power Napper
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    . And he definitely needs a lounge sticker or two.

Heck, get him a whole mini Lounge kit. He;d look good in seafoam green.
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

haole from the mainland
    Aw, I'm so happy Baron has taken to his wheels so well.

Seat's not level
    I think he was feeling left out when you all would go for a ride with your two wheels.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

Frog Whisperer
    btw....clip that poor little guys nails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe as many times as he has been under anesthesia, no one thought to do it....That's the first thing my vet would have done....LOL.

He needs some team Collin stickers too

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post

I can't believe as many times as he has been under anesthesia, no one thought to do it....That's the first thing my vet would have done....LOL.

We clipped them soon after the surgery. Since he isn't walking they aren't getting worn down when he walks. Time to do it again..
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

It's complexicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post

The nails are not why he's got wanky feet that go in all directions. And I thought the vet would have done it too, But Nooooo.... WTF? Black nails are scary to cut since you can't see the quick.
    Help Support Team Collin. Check out my website MellysArt.com. A portion of every print sold will go to 24 Hours of Booty. All of the proceeds from the note cards goes to support the fight against cancer.

"Hill Repeats are easy. Chemo is hard." ~VaughnA, survivor 24 years and counting

Master debator.
    That's a great story about your dog!
    I have several bones to pick with you first.
    #1, the wheels aren't carbon. 'nuff said. #2, the tires should be knobby, or at least have enough grip for off-road adventures, maybe even go with some 29ers. #3, the frame should be steel. It would be a touch heavier, but it would be more compliant.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Misfit Toy
    Aw, my fellow zipperneck! Roll on Baron!
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Stumpcake!
    Where's the racing flames???!!! He needs racing flames on that contraption!

Sorry to hear you're stressed but happy to know he's mobile and that there's some improvement.

Oh and Nutmeg says I'm an idiot. Got her a little in the quick on the last nail. Black nails are tough to clip.
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem."

corning my own beef
    great news! Happy to see Baron regaining some mobility. I see a carbon fiber frame, race wheels and a wing on that rig. Maybe a wheelie bar?

And M, I'm glad that you felt confident using the term "happy ending" here in the Lownje.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Missus View Post
    The nails are not why he's got wanky feet that go in all directions. And I thought the vet would have done it too, But Nooooo.... WTF? Black nails are scary to cut since you can't see the quick.
    I get it...I forgot about the whole not "skating" on hard surfaces wearing them down.....

btw....if he will tolerate it, a cordless dremel with a sanding drum works well, that's what my mom and sister use (on their dogs too)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Glad Baron is doing better. We had a similar situation with one of our doxies a couple years ago, except with his front legs losing mobility. The prognosis for him was very bleak because surgery most likely wouldnt help finally one vet suggested a course of steroids instead of surgery to relieve the pressure on the nerves in between his shoulders and several weeks of very limited movement to let a cracked bone mend. It worked and now you wouldn't know he ever had a problem.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Benjamin Franklin

WWHBD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    You guys are good dog parents- hang in there! Trick those wheels out with some ground effect lighting

+1 on the nail grinding with the Dremel. It's been way less traumatic for our Lab because there's no pressure on the nail, and he doesn't mind the noise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ah, doxies. So pleased to hear Baron's getting some of his mojo back!

My sister once took on a dachshund "project"- little guy was abandoned, b/c the owners didn't want to pay for the surgery, something like that. So she did the surgeries herself- he had a scar from neck to tail, a cone, a cast- she named him Frank, as in Frankenstein

She found a couple that were willing to adopt him when he was better, and for a while they were sending her postcards and photos as they travelled home cross-country with Frank.

Sis had a wire hair that was around 25lbs for many years, he was a riot. Even when he went blind and started pooping in his sleep, he somehow always knew when the refridgerator door was open!

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by The Missus View Post
    You can see the sparkle in his eyes again.
    Makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it? Go Baron!

Spicy Dumpling
    We've been trimming his nails for years. We bribe him with cheese and he's fine with it. They just got away from us after the surgery since he's just laying in bed. They look worse than they really are, even his vet tech says he has 'wonky' feet that splay everywhere.

Honey Smack!
    Love it. Glad to see he's got some wheels!
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

We have met the enemy...
    Cool--he's got wheels and he doesn't have to ask Mom and Dad for the keys.

Win-win!
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Frog Whisperer
    yeah but the insurance rates are going up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast