Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safety Razors

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I'm now wondering if there is a correlation between guys who use old school razors... preferring rim brakes and 23 tires on their bikes.

11spd can probably answer this question.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I'm now wondering if there is a correlation between guys who use old school razors... preferring rim brakes and 23 tires on their bikes.

Straight razors = wood rims, 38mm tires, fixed gear and single pivot rim brakes

safety razors = aluminum rims, 28mm tires, mechanical group and dual pivot rim brakes

multi blade razors = carbon rims, 25mm tires, electric group and hydro disc brakes

I don't know who's using cable disc brakes and 23mm tires can probably be found sprinkled thru any of the group lists.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

you're definitely on to something there. My two bikes, while kind of new, are ti and steel with rim brakes. Even the CX one has canti brakes and I had to actively search to avoid disc on that type of bike. 10 speed, hand made wheels, and what you'd expect from a luddite. So it probably figures I'm checking out old school razors now.

On the other had I thought nothing of dropping like $10large on two custom bikes. But God forbid I keep paying $.79 for a disposable razor when the old school blades are like $.39. The tighwaddedness correlation would seem to be inverse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At least no one has brought up that horrible safety dance song.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    This one?

Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    Wow, are THOSE things till around? About 1975, when I was 13, my dad gave me his old circa-1948 'safety' razor. Back then, you could buy quality Wilkinson blades for them. By the early 80's, the only blades you could find just plain sucked, and actually a Bic disposable shaver was cheaper and better. No more need to risk your fingers changing blades; these things were only "safety" compared to a straight razor!

As for shaving cream, it was essentially invented to go along with this sort of 1935-ish technology. The only reason for using a brush is if you are using REALLY old-fashioned shaving soap. Anybody using a brush with canned shaving cream is a pretentious boob.

Unless you can really get good blades, I doubt these things are anything more than the latest retro fad. if you are really interested in reducing waste, buy yourself a Norelco electric. I'm on my third one, and they are so much quicker and cheaper than a blade.
    Last edited by No Time Toulouse; 01-25-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Jay,

Yes you can use canned shaving cream with a safety razor. That's what it was invented for.

I was given a Gillette safety razor when I began shaving in my teens in the mid-60s. I would almost regularly nick myself while using it. Switched to a Schick injector razor - still just one blade - in the early 70s and stuck with that until 16 years ago when injector blades became hard to find. Switched to a twin-blade Gillette Sensor Excell. The cartridges seem expensive, about $14 for a 5-pack. But they last me a long time, close to 2 months I think. I should change them out more often, but as long as they still cut whiskers without pulling, I don't mind.

The thing I learned about wasting money on shaving is the shaving foam. I always put it on real thick like I saw in my formative years on Gillette Foamy TV commercials in the 60s. Having deduced that shaving foam is really just a gimmicky wetting agent, and being on my retirement income almost 2 years now, I found that a small dab is all it takes. I can get a year out of one can of shaving cream now, when they used to last maybe one-third as long.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post

The thing I learned about wasting money on shaving is the shaving foam. I always put it on real thick like I saw in my formative years on Gillette Foamy TV commercials in the 60s.
    ha, yeah I used to look like Santa Claus I used so much. I'm not sure how I figured out that was unnecessary but somehow I did a couple years ago thankfully.

I knew regular canned cream had to have been invented for these type of razors but when I was looking at reviews of safety razors I saw a bunch of guys saying regular cream was no good. But those comments were on 'shaving sites' so must have been shaving snobs and that was probably the equal to being told on this site that you shouldn't ride any stock mass produced bikes.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    30-year-old Gillette Excel II razor, 10-pack of blade refills, 2 cans of shaving gel. I'm good for a year.

I get a 4-6 weeks out of each blade refill, and half a year per can of gel.

Bam.

That translates to about 30 bucks per year, and non-recyclable waste measured in grams.

The new shaving gels are so moisturizing, you barely even have to wet your face to get a smooth shave.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Schick Quattro user...

shave the face daily and the legs about twice a week, still get 2-3 months of use from a cartridge.

the pro tip is is to shave in the shower...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Yeah, but it's a real water waster. I'd rather put the water onto my petunias.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Hey now, this is a family friendly forum. We all know what that's a euphemism for.

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    I actually like that song. In fact, I have a thread here somewhere, which when I fid, will share.

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    ...Unless you can really get good blades, ...
    you can. spread your wings, and learn about the world. it is full of new and old things, some of which are cool.yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Any of youz guy's used a safety razor to shave and have any comments how they are? ...
    I toyed with the idea for a long time, hated that the blade I learned about in the 80s was getting harder and harder to find and more pricey, and finally jumped in last year.

For less than a hundred bucks, I got a nice Merkur razor, a sample pack of a hundred blades, soap, and a brush.

I've since settled in on a blade I like (and bought a hundred of), bought another bowl of soap, and am pretty happy.

The internet notion of ritual, etc., is not mandatory. Find a blade you like, lather up on a freshly showered face, and go to it. After the second day, flip the 25 cent blade, use it 2 more times, and discard.

Yeah. 25 cents a blade.

Use some after shave afterwards. I am using Clubman, because I can get it at the drugstore, and Mrs. 10ae likes it..

Its worth it, and it isn't near as hard as the internet makes it out to be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    meh, our municipal water system uses surface water, not groundwater...

not a big deal.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

a real member's member
    i trim my beard with scissors, occasionally use a disposable razor, and ride 23c tires on aluminum rims using dual pivots and non aeros.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    I toyed with the idea for a long time, hated that the blade I learned about in the 80s was getting harder and harder to find and more pricey, and finally jumped in last year.

For less than a hundred bucks, I got a nice Merkur razor, a sample pack of a hundred blades, soap, and a brush.

I've since settled in on a blade I like (and bought a hundred of), bought another bowl of soap, and am pretty happy.

The internet notion of ritual, etc., is not mandatory. Find a blade you like, lather up on a freshly showered face, and go to it. After the second day, flip the 25 cent blade, use it 2 more times, and discard.

Yeah. 25 cents a blade.

Use some after shave afterwards. I am using Clubman, because I can get it at the drugstore, and Mrs. 10ae likes it..

Its worth it, and it isn't near as hard as the internet makes it out to be.
    Cool. Thanks.

I got a Merkur too. And 10 Merkur blades. Should have it in the mail next week.
    I only got 10 blades to make sure they were okay before ordering bulk but in retrospect I should have gotten a sample pack of blades.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i trim my beard with scissors, occasionally use a disposable razor, and ride 23c tires on aluminum rims using dual pivots and non aeros.
    My brother from another mother, except for the beard part. When I've tried to grow a beard, it ends up being a so-called summer beard -- some are here, some are there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use Gillette Fusion 5-blade cartridges; I like the way they work. They are certainly more expensive than double-edge blades, but I've found their life can be extended by drying the blade thoroughly after each use (the theory is that most of the deterioration of the edge is not from use, but from corrosion when stored wet). I get 2 weeks or more from a cartridge. At 3 or 4 bucks a cartridge, that works out to no more $100 a year. Not the cheapest, but not extravagant.

On the retro (and cheaper) side, I use a brush, with J.B Williams shaving soap, which is still made with essentially the same formula that was used to make it from 1840 to 1960 in the town in Connecticut where I live. A cake of soap costing a little over a buck lasts a month, so that's less than $15 a year.

And I ride fixed-gear bikes for more than half of my riding. ;-)
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

a real member's member
    My brother from another mother...
    maybe so, mr horse, maybe so.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Ive been using the same safety razor that my dad bought me when I went off to college in 1984. Cant beat that kind of longevity. All other razors can suck it.
    The holder would last. Discarding used blade is somewhat pain in the a$$ which is why I switched to those common Schick disposable shavers for my face.

BTW, I'll bet you guys didn't know that I'm a woman.

j/k

welcome to the jungle
    Well here's a beaut of a wooden folding straight, if you're into that sorta thing.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

welcome to the jungle
    Oh, and...

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Oh, and...
    If someone gave me this, I'd ditch my trusty old Gillette Excel II, and start shaving with this straight razor, just so I could admire the damascus steel every morning.

Count Shockula, I have a birthday coming up.

welcome to the jungle
    If someone gave me this, I'd ditch my trusty old Gillette Excel II, and start shaving with this straight razor, just so I could admire the damascus steel every morning.

Count Shockula, I have a birthday coming up.
    But I keepses it for myself, my precioussssssss....

(how is this already a meme?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Oh, and...

I got a couple nicks just looking at the pictures. Maybe I'l consider one after I learn to paint irises and stars but I'll pass for now.

I have had barbers whip out one of those to clean up a horrible sideburn job I walked in with and the back of my neck and they make it seem no big deal though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast