Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 90

Thread: Safety Razors

  1. #51
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    .... Discarding used blade is somewhat pain in the a$$ ..
    Oh, that's why there is that little slot in the back of most in-wall bathroom mirror-cabinets. It's where you're supposed to dispose of the old blades.

    Many years ago I worked in home contracting, mostly doing siding but occasionally on internal jobs. You always had to be careful when you removed one of those things, because there were often a couple hundred discarded blades in the wall behind it.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  2. #52
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Oh, that's why there is that little slot in the back of most in-wall bathroom mirror-cabinets. It's where you're supposed to dispose of the old blades.

    Many years ago I worked in home contracting, mostly doing siding but occasionally on internal jobs. You always had to be careful when you removed one of those things, because there were often a couple hundred discarded blades in the wall behind it.
    I've never seen one. Must've been older homes than the ones I've lived or visited.

  3. #53
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,762
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Oh, that's why there is that little slot in the back of most in-wall bathroom mirror-cabinets. It's where you're supposed to dispose of the old blades.

    Many years ago I worked in home contracting, mostly doing siding but occasionally on internal jobs. You always had to be careful when you removed one of those things, because there were often a couple hundred discarded blades in the wall behind it.
    was helping a friend remodel her 1950s vintage house a few years ago...removed the drywall behind the medicine cabinet which had a blade slot and found a large pile of rusty discards. carefully disposed of them but then stupidly brushed some remaining dust up with my bare hand. one blade had lodged under some of the framing and was just barely protruding...

    required a trip to the med center for a couple of stitches and a tetanus shot.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

  4. #54
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,742
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I've never seen one. Must've been older homes than the ones I've lived or visited.
    What Ever Became of…Razor Blade Disposal Slots? : Atomic Toasters
    Too old to ride plastic

  5. #55
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,908
    I'm old enough to remember when medicine cabinets had a little slot to dispose of used blades. They went into the wall between the studs, and stayed there forever.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  6. #56
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when medicine cabinets had a little slot to dispose of used blades. They went into the wall between the studs, and stayed there forever.
    Ah, before the start of recycling fad.

  7. #57
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,276
    We kept all our single blades in a large mason jar on the mantle above the fireplace. That is until they were gifted to li'l sister Sally one christmas. And boy, was she as happy as a weasel in a bathtub! no one knew exactly what she had planned with 'em. But one day, she exited the shed with the most elaborate hanging mobile anyone did ever saw. 'Course we hadn't seen many, but that didn't matter none. it sure was beautiful. she planned to enter it in the county art show held at the Elks Lodge. Unfortunately, walking along the way, she was tripped by Lance Boils, the neighborhood bully, and she met the bloodiest death our little community ever did see. Suffice it to say, we weren't allowed to use single blades no mores. Most of us stopped shaving altogether, even Ma.
    .

    /loungefiction
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  8. #58
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,225
    ^ That's a good one.

  9. #59
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,225
    Back in college, I was using the cheap disposable twin blade razor (by Schick). Then one day I remembered my early years watching my father use one of those single blade safety razor so I decided to get one myself. It shaved fine but for some reason, it scrapes the skin more than those cheap disposables. When I applied aftershave to my face, it hurt like @#$%&*. I ditched that safety razor and went back to Schick disposable which I still buy to this day.

  10. #60
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Back in college, I was using the cheap disposable twin blade razor (by Schick). Then one day I remembered my early years watching my father use one of those single blade safety razor so I decided to get one myself. It shaved fine but for some reason, it scrapes the skin more than those cheap disposables. When I applied aftershave to my face, it hurt like @#$%&*. I ditched that safety razor and went back to Schick disposable which I still buy to this day.
    This is what I'd expect to experience if I shifted to using an antique setup to shave.

    Progress in shaving tech isn't a uniformly bad thing. I like my Gillette Excel II disposable blades. Smooth, close shave with no irritation or cuts, since the mid 1980s.

  11. #61
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,390
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    It shaved fine but for some reason, it scrapes the skin more than those cheap disposables. When I applied aftershave to my face, it hurt like @#$%&*.
    From what I gathered researching the design of old school ones can vary quite a bit as far as aggressiveness goes and quality of blades can make a big different. I wonder if you just got the wrong holder/blade combo for your face. I must have gotten lucky/research paid off in that regard.

    Anyway, I got the thing and have used it (only once). Works great. At first I was really careful due reading some people making it sound like handling nitroglycerin when researching these things. By the end I was hacking away and it was just like using the disposables I had been using but requiring less passes and seemed to get a little closer.
    Definitely got a better shave than usual with disposables but that could be that I was paying more attention with it being a new thing.

    One definite advantage, for me, over disposables is dealing with clogs. I have a pretty thick beard and with disposables I could not rinse them out well so had to bang them on the sink or use a toothpick. This one clogs too, but I could unscrew the head a few turns then simple rinsing does the trick.

    Looks like it will accomplish what I wanted to; a. cheaper b. less waste with the added bonus of c. less clog hassle while still getting a decent shave so I'm happy with it.

  12. #62
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,876
    I'm blessed with an unthick beard. I didn't always feel this way though.

    I had some rather shabby mustaches and goatees when I was in my 20 and 30s.


  13. #63
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,390
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I'm blessed with an unthick beard. I didn't always feel this way though.

    I had some rather shabby mustaches and goatees when I was in my 20 and 30s.

    Other than a real bad stache when I was too young to actually grow one, no skeletons in that closet for me.

    Let's not talk embarrassing hair though. In retrospect business-in-the-front-party-in-the-back was most decidedly not cool.

  14. #64
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    One definite advantage, for me, over disposables is dealing with clogs. I have a pretty thick beard and with disposables I could not rinse them out well so had to bang them on the sink or use a toothpick. This one clogs too, but I could unscrew the head a few turns then simple rinsing does the trick.
    Even faster and simpler than unscrewing the head is the press of cleaning button shown below. It pushes a flexible plastic bar between the blades out and does the unclogging. This is one of the reasons why I still buy these.

    Name:  1458524186.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  45.7 KB

  15. #65
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    ... dealing with clogs. I have a pretty thick beard and with disposables I could not rinse them out well so had to bang them on the sink or use a toothpick.
    toothpick? use the wife's toothbrush!

    lemme know if ya need anything else.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  16. #66
    half-fast
    Reputation: 10ae1203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Other than a real bad stache when I was too young to actually grow one, no skeletons in that closet for me.

    Let's not talk embarrassing hair though. In retrospect business-in-the-front-party-in-the-back was most decidedly not cool.
    Mullet crew checking in, yo. They were cool enough at the time. I had one. Draw your own conclusions.

    Good luck with the new blade.

  17. #67
    half-fast
    Reputation: 10ae1203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,204
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    toothpick? use the wife's toothbrush!

    lemme know if ya need anything else.
    Some place to stay after this experiment?

  18. #68
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,276
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Some place to stay after this experiment?
    or use your own. not a biggie.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  19. #69
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,390
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Mullet crew checking in, yo. They were cool enough at the time. I had one. Draw your own conclusions.

    Good luck with the new blade.
    Thanks.

    And now that you mention it, there were cool at time. And practically required to be taken seriously as a hockey play back in the 80's so what to heck. No regrets.

  20. #70
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,908
    Speaking of straight razors............................................ .........................

    He got a 32 gun in his pocket for fun
    He got a razor in his shoe.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  21. #71
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,390
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Speaking of straight razors............................................ .........................

    He got a 32 gun in his pocket for fun
    He got a razor in his shoe.
    I was just asking about razors though as I already have a custom Continental
    and an Eldorado too.

  22. #72
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Thanks.

    And now that you mention it, there were cool at time. And practically required to be taken seriously as a hockey play back in the 80's so what to heck. No regrets.
    I've been trying to talk the little woman into supporting my desire to be one of the first in my area to bring back the Mullet + Fu Manchu 'stache look. Or at least a rattail ponytail and a cop 'stache (which is like a bad porn stache, but trimmed neatly).

    No dice thus far.

  23. #73
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,390
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I've been trying to talk the little woman into supporting my desire to be one of the first in my area to bring back the Mullet + Fu Manchu 'stache look. Or at least a rattail ponytail and a cop 'stache (which is like a bad porn stache, but trimmed neatly).

    No dice thus far.
    I rank going to the barber right up there with the dentist so tend to put it off as long as I can. But now I'm follicley challenged up top, but not in the back, so I need to be careful about my procrastination not resulting in an inadvertent mullet. I don't see a skullet in my future but nice to know I'll probably have the option should I ever leave the reservation and want to flaunt it.

  24. #74
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I rank going to the barber right up there with the dentist so tend to put it off as long as I can. But now I'm follicley challenged up top, but not in the back, so I need to be careful about my procrastination not resulting in an inadvertent mullet. I don't see a skullet in my future but nice to know I'll probably have the option should I ever leave the reservation and want to flaunt it.
    I stopped going to the barber shop several years ago when I finally realized that I can give myself a buzz cut in the bathroom every saturday morning.

    No waiting. No dogeared Field & Stream magazines. No annoying kids running around. No smelly barbershop fart-air stench. No $15 bucks for a haircut I have to touch up as soon as I get home.

    I'm livin' like Larry.

  25. #75
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    No smelly barbershop fart-air stench.
    That's new to me.

    No $15 bucks for a haircut I have to touch up as soon as I get home.
    I thought about getting one of these when my budget was tighter.

    Safety Razors-e0fab9c2b2da3cfb8bdc6ef315cd2740.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Saftety razors/double edged razors
    By BigTex_BMC in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 09:03 PM
  2. Razors
    By locustfist in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 10:47 AM
  3. An interesting read re: safety of cycling in US v. Europe
    By mdehner in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 01:01 PM
  4. Safety warning, beware
    By CycloPathic in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 08:04 AM
  5. Rail trail vs. Road vs. safety
    By turborob in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 07:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.