Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Safety Razors

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    That's new to me.

I thought about getting one of these when my budget was tighter.

Attachment 321724
    I must have had farty barbers my whole life. Every barbershop I've been in during the past 40 or so years has usually smelled like farts at one point or another during the wait or haircut.

I use wahl clippers and a No. 1/2 blade. Takes about 5 minutes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I must have had farty barbers my whole life. Every barbershop I've been in during the past 40 or so years has usually smelled like farts at one point or another during the wait or haircut.
    Sorry to hear.
    I stopped going to the barber shop several years ago when I finally realized that I can give myself a buzz cut in the bathroom every saturday morning.
    Couple friends of mine keep "bald" look and I always wondered how often they go through the routine but never asked about it out of fear that it's a sensitive subject especially I still happened to have full head of hair. Now I know.

Frog Whisperer
    I have been using my trusty Gilette Atra since I was 18 years old. (47 years) I use whatever soap or shaving cream that is handy. I buy a 12 pack of generic blades every 15 years whether I need them or not. I get a bit over a year on a blade. That said, I have had a beard since I was 18 1/2 and trim the cheeks and throat every month or two. I had a really nice straight razor which I used for 7 or 8 years until my brother in law sharpened a pencil with it....that totally trashed it, it was never sharp again!

you guys that shave every day are nuts!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    does anyone here remember the old Gillette Techmatic with the advancing blade cartridge? When I was a kid I decided to take one of the cartridges apart to see what made it fly. And fly it did, it had not occurred to be that a razor blade (even a band of blades) is spring steel. I got the cartridge opened and IMMEDIATELY had a razor blade/ spring flying all over my desk. There was quite a bit of blood involved!

Last edited by Touch0Gray; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:02 PM.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    lookie.....an instruction manual....or how to hurt yourself without really trying!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safety Razors-1970s-techmatic.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    You might try a electric again. There is is big difference between types - foil and rotary. I had used a Remington foil ages ago and went back to blades.

A few years ago I got really tired of buying expensive Gillette cartridges and getting terrible neck rash with ingrown hairs. Costco was having a sale so I got a Philips Norelco 3-head rotary type. It worked very well for me: a good shave and no neck irritation. I never went back to blades.

That original Sensor 3D model died after about 6 years. All reports were that the newer Philips heads did not shave as closely as my old unit. I tried the Braun Series 9 foil-type razor. It shaved closely but needed pressure and cut the hell out of my jawline in the process. I went back to the "best" shaver in the Philips line. It's not as good as my old model by still does well enough for me.

I can grow a beard pretty well but it is pretty light in color so I shave every other day. This helps prevent razor burn on my neck. I also use it in the shower, wet, with regular bar soap.

The one thing I miss is using the shaving brush my dad gave me. I used it with Crabtree and Evelyn sandlewood shave soap, which would last 2 years of daily lather. I loved the clean scent of the soap and the ritual of making and brushing on the lather. I could use it with my electric but my current bathroom doesn't have a place to leave it out, and my wife and I duel for time with the single sink.

For what it's worth, my dad used a safety razor in the Navy and for many years after. He retired it for Gillette cartridges and never regretted it.

My own progression: Gillette Trac II - Remington foil shaver - Trac II - Gillette Sensor - Schick Tracer - Sensor - Gillette Sensor Excel - Gillette Mach 3 - Schick Extreme 3 - Mach 3 - Mach 3 Power (yeah, it worked) - Schick Quattro - Mach 3 Power - Gillette Fusion - Gillette Fusion Power - Phillips Norelco Sensotouch 3D - Braun Series 9 - Phillips Norelco Series 9000.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Sorry to hear.

Couple friends of mine keep "bald" look and I always wondered how often they go through the routine but never asked about it out of fear that it's a sensitive subject especially I still happened to have full head of hair. Now I know.
    I don't do bald. The No. 1/2 blade is 1/8" or something like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by B_arrington View Post
    The one thing I miss is using the shaving brush my dad gave me. I used it with Crabtree and Evelyn sandlewood shave soap, which would last 2 years of daily lather. I loved the clean scent of the soap and the ritual of making and brushing on the lather.
    Any comments on the PITA factor of that as compared to canned cream?

I definitely value convenience, but holy crap two years out of a bar of shaving soap is tempting. Then I'd be 'all-in' on the tighwaddedness aspect of my decision to go with old school blades.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    does anyone here remember the old Gillette Techmatic with the advancing blade cartridge? When I was a kid I decided to take one of the cartridges apart to see what made it fly. And fly it did, it had not occurred to be that a razor blade (even a band of blades) is spring steel. I got the cartridge opened and IMMEDIATELY had a razor blade/ spring flying all over my desk. There was quite a bit of blood involved!

I had one of those P.O.S. razors when I was in high school. I always wanted to break it open and see what the band of razor looked like. Never got around to it though.

Frog Whisperer
    I had one of those P.O.S. razors when I was in high school. I always wanted to break it open and see what the band of razor looked like. Never got around to it though.
    It was NOT a stellar idea, trust me on that!

Russian Troll Farmer
    You might try a electric again. There is is big difference between types - foil and rotary. I had used a Remington foil ages ago and went back to blades.

A few years ago I got really tired of buying expensive Gillette cartridges and getting terrible neck rash with ingrown hairs. Costco was having a sale so I got a Philips Norelco 3-head rotary type. It worked very well for me: a good shave and no neck irritation. I never went back to blades.

For the last 20 years, I've been using Norelco wet shavers. I use neutrogena face wash as a lather-that way I wash my face while shaving.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

I definitely value convenience, but holy crap two years out of a bar of shaving soap is tempting. Then I'd be 'all-in' on the tighwaddedness aspect of my decision to go with old school blades.
    Not a PITA at all. Actually, I found it took less time and made much less of a mess than using a can of cream or gel. The lather stays on the brush, not your hands.

My procedure was this: Wet the brush. Open the lid for the soap. Swish brush around the soap to make a nice lather in the bowl - maybe 5 seconds? Brush lather on face. This part is much more accurate and faster than trying to slather on canned cream or gel. Shave. Rinse the brush in water and shake off - 5-10 seconds? I used to rub it on my towel to flush the hairs. Hang on the holder that came with the brush. You want the bristles to air dry.

If you need a bit more lather, it's on the brush already instead of having to squirt out more cream - less waste. I also found that shaving soap washed off cleanly and far more easily than shave cream or gel, speeding up the shave process even more.

And yes, shave soap is VERY economical. I got my soap and brush in 1991-1992. It came in a wooden bowl that I still have. I only had to replace the cake of soap. I liked it for travel too. Brush + soap packed smaller than a can of cream.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

Since I've been using soap and a brush I wouldn't go back to canned soap. I don't see it as a PITA but I use it in the shower. I shave every week or two, whether I need it or not , so a quick shave in the shower to knock off the big stuff and then a close shave at the sink where I can use the mirror.

As of late I've been using Cremo when I do my final shave at the sink and I'm really likin' it. It's in a tube and doesn't lather up and really shaves close. If it starts to dry all it takes is a little work with a wet hand and all's good again.

https://www.cremocompany.com/product...ng-shave-cream
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    I do use soap and a brush when I trim the neck and cheeks, I have had the brush since high school... Say, 72?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Not a PITA at all. Actually, I found it took less time and made much less of a mess than using a can of cream or gel. The lather stays on the brush, not your hands.

My procedure was this: Wet the brush. Open the lid for the soap. Swish brush around the soap to make a nice lather in the bowl - maybe 5 seconds? Brush lather on face. This part is much more accurate and faster than trying to slather on canned cream or gel. Shave. Rinse the brush in water and shake off - 5-10 seconds? I used to rub it on my towel to flush the hairs. Hang on the holder that came with the brush. You want the bristles to air dry.

If you need a bit more lather, it's on the brush already instead of having to squirt out more cream - less waste. I also found that shaving soap washed off cleanly and far more easily than shave cream or gel, speeding up the shave process even more.

And yes, shave soap is VERY economical. I got my soap and brush in 1991-1992. It came in a wooden bowl that I still have. I only had to replace the cake of soap. I liked it for travel too. Brush + soap packed smaller than a can of cream.
    Thanks you Sir. Definitely worth a try.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234