Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety Razors

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Safety Razors

Any of youz guy's used a safety razor to shave and have any comments how they are? Can you use regular shave cream with them? Everyone I've ever seen use one used the brush and that stuff so not sure if that's required or what.

After something like 30 years of using whatever and not giving it a second thought I'm thinking of trying something new because: Disposable ones suck and the tree-hugger in me feels guilty using them, and the cartridge ones are too darn expensive for replacement blades.

Safety razor seems like it might be a good alternative. Somewhat of an investment upfront but after that the blades are really cheap. But I wouldn't want to have to deal with the bowl and brush and all that stuff every day.

I did some googling and people seemed to like them. But I'm pretty sure most of those people writing reviews were like REALLY into the ritual and all that crap with the brush and so on. I just want cheap, good and fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Practice on somebody else's face before you start shaving your own.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Practice on somebody else's face before you start shaving your own.
    Any volunteers?? Free of charge.

Good idea, but I got nothing to lose at this point. Hockey pucks and hockey sticks ruined my face model career hopes quite a while ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok, I will ask. Are we talking facial shaving or grooming legs and stuff?

Custom Title= ?
    I started in the service about a thousand years ago when submarines were still made of wood. Used the multi-blade razors on and off way back when, but always had the safety razor gear around and thatís what has been in the cabinet for the last.. . bunch of years.

I do use the brush, soap and don't leak enough that requires the repair gear. I use the same soap bowl I had in the service. Several brushes, a handful of razors, etc.

Some can get by with just bar soap and when I get lazy, that will suffice.

On the one hand there is the ritual and on the other is the simplicity. As if that makes sense.

Oh, it doesnít have to be cheap.
    West Coast Shaving and Shaving 101.
    Qh6+!!

30 mpdb
    I use a safety razor. You can use regular shave cream. It takes a little while for your face to get used to it, but I don't see myself ever going back to the overpriced multi-blade razor things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    Ok, I will ask. Are we talking facial shaving or grooming legs and stuff?
    yeah, especially on a cycling forum I should have specified. Face only.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Didnít mean anything bad, just clarifying Jay. I recently switched from a safety razor to an electric Braun series 9. The nice thing about the razor was it seemed to cut closer albeit with more time and mess. The Electric does a nice job and my face is still adjusting, been about two weeks. Almost as close and quicker in the morning. Nice thing is I can carry it to work and touch up during the day if needed. I used regular cream and it worked great. Blades were cheaper for sure. Iím still torn on the two methods.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    Didnít mean anything bad, just clarifying Jay. I recently switched from a safety razor to an electric Braun series 9. The nice thing about the razor was it seemed to cut closer albeit with more time and mess. The Electric does a nice job and my face is still adjusting, been about two weeks. Almost as close and quicker in the morning. Nice thing is I can carry it to work and touch up during the day if needed. I used regular cream and it worked great. Blades were cheaper for sure. Iím still torn on the two methods.
    I definitely didn't take it any way other than being a straight legit. question.

Thanks all for the replies. I think I'm going to give one a try. From what I can tell from reviews and reading this seems like a decent one to get: https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Mer...azor_p_31.html

Got to love the internet sometimes. I never gave the subject of shaving a second thought until yesterday. A few hours on the internet and I could probably right a book on it now.

I hadn't considered electric. Had a bad experience the one time I borrowed one way back in college. I'm sure that was because the blades were super dull and it was a crappy one but I just can't shake the memory of having wiskers pulled from my face. That was really bad. Decades ago and I still remember it.
    I'm sure the newer ones are fine though.....several friends swear by them.

Proud luddite
    Iíve been using the same safety razor that my dad bought me when I went off to college in 1984. Canít beat that kind of longevity. All other razors can suck it.

Welcome to the jungle
    I used to use one (with a guard, of course). It replaced an utterly awful Norelco or somesuch electric shaver that was much better at giving me facial rashes than any kind of decent shave.

Got nice, close shaves with the straight razor, but not significantly better than what I got with good disposables (like the Mach 3). Not as sharp, but could follow my face better.

In the end, I ditched the straight, probably out of some subliminal fear that I could potentially cut my fool head off with it somehow.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've used Norelcos for 30 years, though I now have a full beard and there's not much to do. I also have one of their body groomers. Norelco either has or had a trial period during which you could return it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I've been using a Merkur Long Handled double edge safety razor I bought on Amazon several years ago.

I buy the Feather blades from Amazon as well. They are good for a week's worth of shaves or so. Far and away cheaper than disposables (and it's not even close).

Electric razors and cheap (but way too expensive) plastic crap razors are terrible by comparison, and for my personal experience give me ingrown hairs and shaving bumps.

I don't use the soaps and brush.

My skin is pretty sensitive, so I'm picky about shave cream. Edge unscented (sensitive skin) gel is my preferred choice.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I used a Norelco rotary electric razor from my mid-teens to about age 55 when Sogno my wife convinced me to go to a genuine blade. Pardon my total lack of purity in the shaving game, but I've found my current Gillette Fusion 5 multi-blade razor gives me the best, most comfortable shaves I've ever had. Each blade is supposed to last for a month. I've found they peter out after a couple weeks, but I withhold my temper tantrums. I've also settled on Proraso shave creme and pre-shave cream. Much, much better than the domestic brands I've tried. A brief flirtation with Art of Shaving products fell kind of short. I also happened to buy a Bulgarian Shaving Cream ("Kapo") when I was in that country, several months ago. Better than the Proraso but impossible to find on these shores. Bottom line, though, I've still not truly entered shaving nirvana. The areas where my lower lip connects to the upper one cannot be closely shaved without a measure of irritation, or even some bleeding.

As for mustaches and beards, I don't mind them on other people but I find them uncomfortable and ugly on myself.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the metal designer option - forget the Nordic guyís name - which puts the handle between the finger and thumb. At which point I realised that all these multi blades, rollerball, suspension, flexible gimmicks were all catering for the main design fault in razors. By having a handle you put your fingers 5cm from your face. Using this I effectively stroke my face and my flexible, knuckled fingers cater easily for every bump, curve and irregularity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always changing.....
    My son bought me one over a year ago as a gift for Xmas. He had bought one himself being that they are better for the environment.

I love mine and I have a thick beard. The blades seem to last a long time and I just use regular shaving cream. I have only cut myself a few times and that was when I was rushing but the cuts are minor and no different than ones you would get from the plastic disposable ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks all. Glad to hear pretty much what I had hoped to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Lasers... the answer is always lasers (cat is optional)... Laser Hair removal....

That or the serial killer option.. Straight Razor..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    That or the serial killer option.. Straight Razor..
    Attend the tale of Sweeny Todd.
    He served a dark and a vengeful god.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I used to use a safety razor years ago. I don't anymore. There's a reason for that. I prefer the multi blade razors. I've been getting blades from Dollar Shave Club. They're the same as the ones I used to buy at the drugstore, but a lot cheaper. They send me 4 each month. A lot nicer than a trip to the drug store, and then trying to remember what kind to buy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    This thread sort of makes me glad that I can't grow facial hair. Seriously, I gave it a shot around the holidays. After not shaving for 6 weeks a person sitting across a table from me wouldn't have noticed. My follicles are just really widely spaced.

If I remember to, I shave every Sunday night. I don't even need to use shaving cream if I'm really feeling lazy.

And my wife is probably the only woman I've met that would like her SO to have a beard. Sorry honey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I switched to a safety razor a few years back. I, too, got tired of spending so much money on the cartridges. The electric ones never worked well for me as they just seemed to pull hair and irritate.

What I was told, and what I've found, is the blade is very important. You have to find one (or if you're lucky, more than one) that works with you. When I got mine i bought a sampler pack of a bunch of different blades to try out. The results ranged from face butchering to a great, comfortable, easy shave.

For what it's worth, my favorite blade is the Gillette super stainless (green package-made in Russia). I bought some once that were also in a green package wise but made in India and they did not work well at all. Then I learned to pay very close attention to what blades I was buying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    This thread sort of makes me glad that I can't grow facial hair. Seriously, I gave it a shot around the holidays. After not shaving for 6 weeks a person sitting across a table from me wouldn't have noticed. My follicles are just really widely spaced.
    You should be glad.

The worst part is there's no benefit to being a slob who doesn't care about appearance. I'd happy to shave once a week and just be scraggly for 6 of those days but shaving every 7 days equals way more than 7 times the PITA of a daily shave so it doesn't make sense.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post

If I remember to, I shave every Sunday night. I don't even need to use shaving cream if I'm really feeling lazy.

And my wife is probably the only woman I've met that would like her SO to have a beard. Sorry honey.
    Feel fortunate. I can grow a beard in two weeks. I have to shave every day. Some of us are closer to the apes than others. I feel fortunate that at least there's no hair on my back.

Beetpull DeLite
    Tried it twice...no thanks. It was a bigger hassle than I'd expected, especially on my neck where I have a wonky growth pattern. I went back to my 15-year-old Braun.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast