RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Saloman XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX vs Asics

looking at trail running shoes

any advice?

anyone have any experience with these?

i love Asics but the Salomans look nice and reviews, for what they are worth, are good

thx!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Don't purchase shoes on looks, base them purely on fit.

The first time I went into a real running shoe store I was hoping for a pair of Asics ... I ended up walking out with a pair of Brooks (never heard of the brand at the time). He recommended that the shoes select me, rather than me select the shoes. I've since purchased 10+ pairs of Brooks road and trail running shoes since, because they fit my feet and have never induced a blister.

I tend to like trail running shoes that are a bit stiffer, the softer one's all me to feel the rocks too much.

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    I've been wearing the Solomons for a few years now. The GoreTex ones are sweet in the wet, obviously, but can get a little hot in the summer. If you have sweaty feet, that could be a problem for you. The non-GT ones are pretty awesome too. The lacing system works well, but both pairs I've had eventually the lace gives way at the toe. I just tie it back together with a fishermans loop and go on my way. Works fine.

I run on the road in Asics. I don't know much about their trail shoes, but I'm a fan of their road shoes.

You should try them both on and see what you think. Check to make sure the Solomon's are tight enough in your heel. You don't want blisters back there out on the trail.
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    I recommend going to a shoe store dedicated to running. In Chicago we have Fleet Feet and Running Away Multisport. The salespeople at Fleet Feet will have you run on the treadmill and do a gait analysis then fit you with a few shoes. You can then test each shoe on the treadmill or indoor track or outside on pavement. This selection process worked well for me. The shoes might be ugly, but they feel great.

turtle killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by New_World_Man
    I recommend going to a shoe store dedicated to running. In Chicago we have Fleet Feet and Running Away Multisport. The salespeople at Fleet Feet will have you run on the treadmill and do a gait analysis then fit you with a few shoes. You can then test each shoe on the treadmill or indoor track or outside on pavement. This selection process worked well for me. The shoes might be ugly, but they feel great.
    +1

the Saloman's are awesome! If they work for you (they do for me). They're wider than Asics generally run. FWIW I avoid goretex in running shoes.. even using them backpacking, my feet simply dry faster.. since well.. the goretex keeps water out, but the membrane also keeps it in.

"El Bwana"
    I have a fairly normal gait and both pairs of Salomans I bought online hurt my feet. I am an Asics fan now.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    thanks everyone

I have owned a pair of both and love them both, just not these models

the Salomans fell apart rather rather quickly but I loved them.

I also loved the Asics which I raced in

I think I will get hte Salomans in case it is a really wet summer. If I end up doing more road running I'll pick up a pair of Asics

the Asics are on sale for $53 and the Salomons are on sale for $112 whichis worth a consideration

your text here
    shoes are like bikes: ya gotta try them out before you know. i went running the wrong shoes once.
    once.

took a few weeks to get my knees back.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Cpark
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRider
    I've been wearing the Solomons for a few years now. The GoreTex ones are sweet in the wet, obviously, but can get a little hot in the summer. If you have sweaty feet, that could be a problem for you. The non-GT ones are pretty awesome too. The lacing system works well, but both pairs I've had eventually the lace gives way at the toe. I just tie it back together with a fishermans loop and go on my way. Works fine.

I run on the road in Asics. I don't know much about their trail shoes, but I'm a fan of their road shoes.

You should try them both on and see what you think. Check to make sure the Solomon's are tight enough in your heel. You don't want blisters back there out on the trail.
    +1
    I've been using TNF and Salomon Gore-Tex trail shoes for a long time.
    They provide excellent stability and motion control for trail running, but they get too hot for my feet during the summer.
    I use a Saucony Grid Control series for summer running.

RIP Funny Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by CARBON110
    looking at trail running shoes

any advice?

anyone have any experience with these?

i love Asics but the Salomans look nice and reviews, for what they are worth, are good

thx!
    Have used a number of trail shoes over the years...recently I switched to New Balance MT100. They would be regarded as a minimalist shoe for trail running.

That said...never buy a shoe you have not tried and if possible (like Fleet Feet) and other better shoe stores...they will allow you to wear them and exchange them if they don't work out in the real world.

Depending on the kind of trails you are on...many times a regular pair will suffice.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm on my third pair of North Face "Prophecy" trail runners with Vibram soles. I love them. They are not as heavy or stiff as other trail runners but feel fine on the rocks. I can't stand bulky trail shoes so the NF ones suit me.

I drank what?
    I owned those shoes for about a week. Seemed nice. Had to sale them because they ran to small for my feet. I figured they'd break in but they didn't after several days of wearing them. So, just make sure they fit correctly.