Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanford and Son

jaded bitter joy crusher

Sanford and Son

I just discovered these guys a few weeks ago, and I haven't been able to stop watching them. I just love how Fred meshes with Lamont.

Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing. ---- Cormac McCarthy

A man can get disouraged many times, but he is not a failure until he begins to blame somebody else and stops trying --- John Burroughs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sitcoms back then were like live theater. Definitely great stuff!

Love the other clips that come up too- The Puerto Ricans are Coming and Marijuana

These were the shows my parents would watch, but I was too young to appreciate. Not until I was older did I start watching reruns of M*A*S*H, The Jeffersons, etc. etc.

Burning Fists of Love

irony

Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    I just discovered these guys a few weeks ago, and I haven't been able to stop watching them. I just love how Fred meshes with Lamont.

In Sanford and Son, Fred Sanford (played by Redd Fox) always says, its the big one, I coming to join you Elizabeth and feigns having a heart attack.

Red Foxx, actually died of....a heart attack
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

Wave, dammit!
    Wait til you discover Barney Miller...
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    I am a WKRP fan.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Classic, maybe the greatest sitcom ever. Every character on the show was fantastic.

Burning Fists of Love

Memories galore

Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569
    All in the Family
    Thats My Momma
    Taxi
    Maud
    Phyllis
    Good Times
    Of course Barney Miller
    Thern its spin off Fish (YES, Abe had his own show)
    Avoid the show BJ and the Bear....it used to preceded Knight Rider and they both sucked ass IMO
    James at 15 (or was it 16?) BARELY doable
    Makin It
    One Day at a Time
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa
    I am a WKRP fan.
    As God as my witness, I swear I thought turkeys could fly.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    OMG you're kidding?...........I guess yer just a kid huh?......72 to 77.......that was 5 years i never even saw a TV....but I bet I've seen ever episode.....funny sh!t....Redd fox was a genius !
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    OMG you're kidding?...........I guess yer just a kid huh?......72 to 77.......that was 5 years i never even saw a TV....but I bet I've seen ever episode.....funny sh!t....Redd fox was a genius !
    Ummm. I'm tinklin' this is yet another Lounge derivative-title thread.

That, or Fredke's even more a geek than we could possibly have imagined.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    Who can forget this one? We used to love to play "Six Million Dollar Man" but the only problem was only one kid got to be Steve Austin! He was the shiznit of the 70's!

Six Million Dollar Man - Intro (Opening Theme) by STARDUST72

Steve Austin. A man barely alive.

And completely unable to comprehend the laws of physics.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    Steve Austin. A man barely alive.

And completely unable to comprehend the laws of physics.
    Don't be dissin' Steve Austin! He'll mess you up! He can run 60 mph you know. And he sees so well it makes a noise....that's pretty good eyesight.

The kid next door was kind of nerdy and for some reason took pleasure on playing Oscar Goldman when we played "Six Million Dollar Man". Billy was a good kid. I did like being Steve though. Steve was da bomb! Cool red track suit too, with those snazzy red Adidas. Then Jamie Sommers had to come along and put a feminine touch on the whole bionic thing. And then they added the bionic dog...remember that? That was a total shark-jumping if there ever was one.

Proud luddite
    Hell, what about that other awesome 70's shows? Love Boat? Fantasy Island? My mom used to secretly watch Three's Company....I think she had a thing for John Ritter. She'd put us to bed because, you know, Three's Company wasn't for kids, what with Suzanne Sommers bouncing around all over the place and Ritter trying to "get it on" all the time. Good times, good times.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter
    Please pass the monitor cleaner spray stuff.

Christine's got it right. New stuff has to be so polished and smooth that it loses it's edge. Nothing 'live' or in the moment about it at all. That's saying something that it's still funny today and funny (for different reasons) to different age groups. Well done.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter
    OMG... they're turkeys!!!

Happy Thanksgiving - WKRP Turkey Drop - kewego
    http://www.sharkhost.com Happy Thanksgiving from Sharkhost.com! This is a blast from the past, WKRP in Cincinnati Famous Turkey Drop. Sharkhost does not own any copyright to this material. Web host, web design, marketing and promotion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Loved Sanford and Son as a kid in the 70s. (I almost posted a Sanford and Son thread to parody the Mumford and Sons thread... hahaha! You beat me to it!)

Barney Miller, Jeffersons, Taxi, Good Times and All in the Family were great too.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by bismo37
    Loved Sanford and Son as a kid in the 70s. (I almost posted a Sanford and Son thread to parody the Mumford and Sons thread... hahaha! You beat me to it!)

Barney Miller, Jeffersons, Taxi, Good Times and All in the Family were great too.
    I still say "good googli moogli" on a regular basis. Drives the missus crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb
    Don't be dissin' Steve Austin! He'll mess you up! He can run 60 mph you know. And he sees so well it makes a noise....that's pretty good eyesight.

The kid next door was kind of nerdy and for some reason took pleasure on playing Oscar Goldman when we played "Six Million Dollar Man". Billy was a good kid. I did like being Steve though. Steve was da bomb! Cool red track suit too, with those snazzy red Adidas. Then Jamie Sommers had to come along and put a feminine touch on the whole bionic thing. And then they added the bionic dog...remember that? That was a total shark-jumping if there ever was one.
    Well yeah, but Jaime was squishy in all the right places. And better yet, remember the made-for-TV movie reunions that had Sandra Bullock as Bionic Woman 2.0?

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569
    A little context: Mumford and Sons

I never could get into Barney Miller or many of the other sitcoms of the era, but I honestly did appreciate Sanford and Son.
    Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing. ---- Cormac McCarthy

A man can get disouraged many times, but he is not a failure until he begins to blame somebody else and stops trying --- John Burroughs

Sculpture on 2 wheels
    May I highly suggest the Fred Sanford You Big Dummy T-Shirt it's full of win everytime I ware it people go nuts and ask for pictures with me. You could say that my big dummy
    T-shirt makes me more popular than say Don Jhonson!

Wow just talking about it is a win I feel my tiger blood flowing! I gota go home and change! cheers

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    You mean to tell me all you throwbacks were talking about great old shows, and no one mentioned "The Bob Newhart Show"? (The Suzanne Pleshette one.)

I even loved the theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRVy5jPtjMw

donuts?
    Sanford and Son, Welcome Back Kotter, and MASH were my childhood.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

RoadBikeReview Member
    New stuff has to be so polished and smooth that it loses it's edge. Nothing 'live' or in the moment about it at all.

Notice how the characters are often facing the audience- just like theater. It's similar today, but plot lines have become more complex, with several stories going on at once instead of just one or two at a time.

Ricardo Cabeza
    What? You just discovered Sanford and Son?
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast