RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Savannah, GA--1 Day ??

I'll be in Savannah, GA for business and have one free day. Any suggestions for for things to do? I won't have a car and will have a graduate student with me so whatever it is can't be expensive.

I'll be near the Civic Center, SCAD, and SCAD's Art Museum--that's the "historic district" right?

Thanks!

Get me to In&Out
    Take the tourist bus tour of the city. So much history there, and with the tour you will get the highlights plus some. I highly recommend Paula Dean's restaurant too. I know she is a racist in public opinion, but you will get the best shrimp grits and fried chicken you will ever eat there.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Eddy 53:11
    Hit The Pink House Restaurant for dinner. Sit downstairs or maybe outside; reservations recommended.

Coffee? Gallery Espresso about 2 blocks away from the Pink House. There is a small bike shop named Perry Rubber right next door FWIW. Across he street from Gallery Espresso is The Six Pence Pub. Decent beer/food.

Smiling Savannaha's Piano bar North end of River Street for crappy beer, but lots of drunk fun. There's a speak easy nearby as well if you can find it. I got in with a "member."

River Street is a "must" just for sport . . . . but, checkout The Distillery beer bar for good pints.

Broughton Street has a great outdoor store called Halfmoon Outfitters and shopping and a place called World Beer. It's a chain, but again, LOTS of good beers and some food.

All of these places are downtown proper and only several blocks from one another, very walkable.

WHAT hotel will you be staying??
    Live vicariously through yourself.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabondcyclist View Post
    I'll be in Savannah, GA for business and have one free day. Any suggestions for for things to do? I won't have a car and will have a graduate student with me so whatever it is can't be expensive.

I'll be near the Civic Center, SCAD, and SCAD's Art Museum--that's the "historic district" right?

Thanks!
    8th Air Force Museum.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get out and walk. Savannah is one of the most beautiful cities in the US with the nation's largest historic district, and is best seen on foot. Stick to the streets with "squares" on them, and you'll be in the shade most of the time with little traffic. What we enjoyed most about Savannah was discovering little details while walking -- beautiful homes, sheltered gardens, sculptures, fountains, even drain spouts (shaped like dolphins). River Street is a lot of fun, particularly when ships go by, but is also touristy. Include Forsythe Park on your walking tour, for the fountain if nothing else.

I lived in downtown Savannah, a block from SCAD, for 2 years. Paula Dean didn't even have a restaurant at that time. We liked to eat at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House, Palmer's Seafood on one of the islands, Johnny Mercer's, and the Crystal Beer Parlor. I was always disappointed at the touristy restaurants that you heard so much about, like the Pirate's House.

For a unique drinking experience, go to Pinky's -- probably the only bar in the US with a memorial to Pres. Jimmy Carter.

Moderatus Puisne
    I really enjoyed my trip to Savannah. The pink house was nice - next door to my hotel - and as a someone who really enjoys historic architecture, I really liked just walking around the old town.

Though it may not be the cheapest thing - sorry! - if your budget can swing it I can't recommend the restaurant Elizabeth on 37th highly enough. It is one of the best dining experiences I have ever had.

Non non normal
    For straight up, home cooked, southern style, the real deal go with Tarheel's recommendation of Mrs. Wilkes.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
    All of these places are downtown proper and only several blocks from one another, very walkable.

WHAT hotel will you be staying??
    The Courtyard Dowmtowm/Historic District. And the Coastal Center.

I can swing more expensive, but don't want to put the grad student in a bad spot (and I'll be picking up enough of his tabs as it is).