On your left!

Saw "Arrival" last night...

Being a scifi fan, I wanted to see this movie but I heard to much "meh" about it. I figured eventually I'd see it on video so I avoided any info/spoilers.

Discovered it on Amazon Prime last night so I checked it out. And as most reviews had stated....meh.

There were some good qualities. I will start low and work my way up.

1-The idea that we could re-wire our brains to see things (time, in this case) differently. As a 55 yo (today!) I look for things that interest me and try new adventures as time and $$ allow. If I were braver, I'd love to up and move and start all over. Learn a new career and a new language while I'm at it. Well, in theory I'd like to but....back to the review.

2-What's with all the increased squid/octi/Mollusca showing up in sci books/movies over the past 10 years? Back in the 70's it was dolphin then whale. Well to be fair, it in the 70's there was this series about apes that has managed to stick around. I agree, Mollusca may be clever but multi-dimensional space travel and circular time theory?

3-Amy Adams. She plays a fine, fine smart woman. Though, no chemistry between her and Jeremy...

****SPOILER****
    And finally, without giving away any spoilers, the title. At the end I perked up and realized the title Arrival is not referring to what you thought it was...or is it?

Think of this movie as a cross between:

*Contact; I still love Jodie. Also plays a fine, fine smart woman, but I suppose her brain would have to do some re-wiring first before she would have interest in me. And Contact is light years ahead as far as quality and story.

*Signs; For the surprise ending...And not such a bad movie. Kind of a surprise ending in Arrival but not so obvious.

4-Best thing about the movie? It was free and satisfied my need for some thought provoking scifi.

If you haven't seen it, give it a go. Just hang on til the end and maybe you will appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saw "Arrival" last night...-arrival.jpg  
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx View Post

2-What's with all the increased squid/octi/Mollusca showing up in sci books/movies over the past 10 years? Back in the 70's it was dolphin then whale. Well to be fair, it in the 70's there was this series about apes that has managed to stick around. I agree, Mollusca may be clever but multi-dimensional space travel and circular time theory?
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
    Last edited by Teuthis; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
    ​Huzzah! I've figured out how to put something in the little box under my posts.

Neophyte
    Does this or does this not have any relation to the Charlie Sheen movie? I'm serious here...

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Does this or does this not have any relation to the Charlie Sheen movie? I'm serious here...
    No. No hookers and blow involved at all.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Ha I liked that movie, it's not very good, but I still liked it.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    They came from outer space, they have a ship the size of a city, what the hell do they want with us? just doesn't figure!
    BANNED

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Arrival was one of my favorite movies of last year. Luxurious look and pace. Amy Adams is soulful and beautiful. Yeah, the story didn't quite add up. For one, I agree that it's tough to understand what the heck those aliens are doing on our planet. But I don't care as much about those things as I used to.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Try reading Ted Chiang's collection of short stories "Story of Your Life", of which one of the stories "Arrival" is based. A very satisfactory collection of ideas.

On your left!
    I was waiting for that...Praise Cthulhu!
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    They came from outer space, they have a ship the size of a city, what the hell do they want with us? just doesn't figure!
    Duh...they want Amy Adams!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I could understand that if it was Amy Schumer!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    It was a great movie but Contact is still the #1 "real" alien possibility movie for me

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by PathWarrior24 View Post
    It was a great movie but Contact is still the #1 "real" alien possibility movie for me
    I liked my Hollywood alien movies better when they were invading us. For me the only "real" alien movies were from Steven Spielberg.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael