take on me

Saw 'The Big Sick'...

Another short review. Simply said, it's one of those very rare romantic comedies that actually works.

I know, I know... you'd have a better chance of getting struck by lightning. But it does.

And, it's a Judd Apatow-produced film that avoids Apatow's getting-to-be-a-cliche 'gross but heartwarming' formula. Instead, it actually goes the 'real' route, with stunning success. So, kinda two miracles in one.

Stars Kumail Nanjiani (Dinesh on Silicon Valley), Ray Romano, Holly Hunter, and Zoe Kazan. And everyone's truly excellent.

But specifically, this feels like a breakthrough role for Nanjiani, in the same way that 2015's Trainwreck finally put comedian Amy Schumer firmly on the map. Except that The Big Sick is a considerably better movie (and I liked Trainwreck).

Three and a half stars out of four. This summer is turning out to be lots better for movies than I thought it'd be (Wonder Woman, Spider Man: Homecoming, and this).

I'll likely go 4-for-5 when I get around to seeing the by-all-accounts-excellent Baby Driver soon. If only I could've avoided the howlingly bad It Comes At Night, it would've been a perfect run.

Last edited by SystemShock; 07-13-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

take on me
    Very good reviews for it.

Rotten Tomatoes:

Critics score: 97%
    Audience score: 92%

If it's one or the other (good critics/bad audience or good audience/bad critics) I worry, as I've been burned by that. But both really good? That hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Very good reviews for it.

Rotten Tomatoes:

Critics score: 97%
    Audience score: 92%

If it's one or the other (good critics/bad audience or good audience/bad critics) I worry, as I've been burned by that. But both really good? That hasn't steered me wrong yet.

I went to see it at Alamo in SF (sit down, restaurant theater place) and it was awesome. The menu was also put together by Kumail.
    https://drafthouse.com/news/the-big-sick-menu-specials

Anyway, loved the movie and was a lot of fun with the food.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    I went to see it at Alamo in SF (sit down, restaurant theater place) and it was awesome. The menu was also put together by Kumail.
    https://drafthouse.com/news/the-big-sick-menu-specials

Anyway, loved the movie and was a lot of fun with the food.
    Very cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    I'll look for it when it comes on Netflix. My wife and I haven't been to a movie theater in 7 years. I was offended at shelling out $8.75 for a ticket and then having to sit through 20 minutes of TV commercials before they run the movie. I can hold a grudge for a while. Plus, we bought the flat screen and new stereo sound system, so Netflix satisfies our movie needs. And we don't have dolts in the audience fvcking with their smart phones during the movie.

Proud luddite
    My wife and I saw the movie yesterday and truly enjoyed it. A very different sort of rom/com, with an informative dose of Pakistani culture tossed in.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    My wife and I saw the movie yesterday and truly enjoyed it. A very different sort of rom/com, with an informative dose of Pakistani culture tossed in.
    I know, right? A rom-com that doesn't tread the old tired paths and which actually works is so rare.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It was good not great. Slow in parts, but often funny. And it has one of the most shockingly hilarious lines I've ever heard in a movie. If you see it, you'll know.