Maximum Gluteus

Saw "The Book Of Mormon" Last Night....

I went and saw the touring production of "The Book Of Mormon" last night at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC. This is the musical from the creators of "South Park" about Mormonism and...well....it was probably not the best thing to see with a pair of broken ribs. By the end of the show I was nearly unconscious from laughing so hard.

The show was, from beginning to end, breathtakingly profane. And utterly hilarious.

Poking fun at religious beliefs (or non-beliefs) can quickly veer from humor into bigotry. And while I am sure that there are plenty of Mormons out there who might be offended by the show (along with Catholics, Jews, Baptists, Africans, or anyone else who doesn't "get" the satire of South Park), "The Book Of Mormon" actually did a good job of straddling that line. Yes, the show gets folks to laugh at some of the tenets of Mormonism. However, the resolution of the story ultimately turns on a recognition by the authors that critics of religion often underestimate the intelligence of those who choose to believe or their ability to parse the BS from the core message, no matter how weird or incredible the cosmology of those beliefs may seem to others. That said, i would have to believe that the tone of the show would be totally different if the target was, say, Scientology and not Mormonism.

And I have to give credit to the Mormon leadership for doing a very clever thing; rather than protest, they bought a number of full page ads in the "Playbill" magazine that is given to each patron at the show. The ads were positive, with a smiling face and a non-threatening message like "You've seen the play, now read the book!" Or, "The book is better than the show!" Clever as hell.

And, good lord, it was funny. And did i mention that it was extremely profane as well? Very, very profane. Highly recommended.
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I so want to see this ... however I just couldn't fork out the $250+ per ticket for "Way Back" seats when it came to town last fall. Maybe next time I guess.
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 1998 Marin East Peak - MTB
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Saw this at the Pantages in LA. First half, funniest thing I've ever seen (damn if the opening song isn't a freakin' earworm!). Second half - exactly like every other South Park thing...a rehash of the same old joke.
    Last edited by lemonlime; 07-29-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Do what he say!

Saw "The Book Of Mormon" Last Night....

Dang it! I keep forgetting to buy tickets for when it comes to Dallas next month. Last I looked (3 weeks ago) they were $50-$150...scared to look now.
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

No go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

Darling of The Lounge
    Not being LDS and stationed in Utah for 3 years, I've lived my own version of "The Book of Mormon."

The best part of the tour was that a good number of Mormon girls loved military guys. They could get down and dirty with GIs and yet maintain an innocent and wholesome façade within the church community.

Straddling (so to speak) both worlds seem to be their forte.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Not being LDS and stationed in Utah for 3 years, I've lived my own version of "The Book of Mormon."

The best part of the tour was that a good number of Mormon girls loved military guys. They could get down and dirty with GIs and yet maintain an innocent and wholesome façade within the church community.

Straddling (so to speak) both worlds seem to be their forte.
    Dated a Mormon chick once. She loved teh sex like no other.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    David Cross sums up Mormonism brilliantly.

Comedian David Cross on scientology - YouTube

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    So you're one of those who broke the KenCen reservation system a few months ago?
    Ken
    Ladonna Batiste-Williams: “I married a goddam musician, Ain’t no way to make that $#!↑ right.”

Maximum Gluteus
    Got these tickets from a friend, who got them via a deal from American Express.

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

FNG
    Apparently it depends on where you see it/who puts the production together. We saw it in Toronto, and both my gf and I gave it a solid 4/10. Co-worker recommended it based on her seeing it NY; she saw it again here and said the same thing I did - "meh" was as good as it got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Cat 6
    Saw it a few months back in SF...one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I was literally crying laughing at the scene where the locals were telling their version of the Book of Mormon.

Maximum Gluteus
    Name:  BOM-MAGGOTSBOXERS-MED.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  52.4 KB