Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned forever.....or not
    "Did soldiers really line up like that on the beach? Seems like they would be a super-easy target in rows like that?"

Yes....
    Would you want to lose your place in line to get a boat ride home??
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Well, since they were Brits, they weren't lined up, they were queued, (Cheerio old boy! Chop chop, hey hey!) although unlike the movie, I would think they didn't start lining up until there were actually boats there to get them. You can find pics of them lined up.

Master debator.
    Dunkirk Veteran Weeps At Film Premiere: 'It Was Just Like I Was There Again' | HuffPost

Let's not forget 40,000 or so Brits that were killed so the others could evacuate. I suppose showing that in the movie would have just made it another war movie...
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

No, not at all.
    Dogbert.

I>U

RoadBikeReview Member
    This guy hated it and thought some CGI would have improved things https://www.theguardian.com/film/fil...k-left-me-cold
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

I wonder if this guy wanted a character explaining every detail of the event? We could have the Hero, killing 100 Nazis, the coward who saves the day at the end, and bitter soldier who plugs a hole in his ship with his head....In other words, pure 1970's Hollywood. I enjoyed the fact that they didn't mention that the Kenneth Branagh character died after getting a shipload of French soldiers out, when he went back for a second load.
    Dogbert.

I>U

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Sounds like a film I'll totally love if it's done correctly. I'm not bothered that it's less genre than his others, I'm curious to see what he does with it. Now I loved Interstellar, but that ending was weird, and at least with a true story, he can't have it end with Matthew McConaghey lost in a book case. LOL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Sounds like a film I'll totally love if it's done correctly. I'm not bothered that it's less genre than his others, I'm curious to see what he does with it. Now I loved Interstellar, but that ending was weird, and at least with a true story, he can't have it end with Matthew McConaghey lost in a book case.

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Q: Chris Nolan's Achilles Heel is that he usually falls apart in the third act.

Does he do so this time?
    Does he ever. In fact this whole movie is a Nolan Third Act. It seems as if Nolan just hacked off the first and second act (the good parts) and just went straight for the end. If Chris Nolan's goal was to make a war movie unlike any other war movie, then he succeeded. This movie fails to give us, what Marty DeBergi would say are the "sights, sounds and smells" of what it would feel like to be British Infantry trapped in Dunkirk. The movie is just a bunch of meandering scenes slapped dashed together into an incoherent mess, except Tom Hardy in a Spitfire. That was boss.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Fake President
    Some people are going to get annoyed at me for saying this, but... it's been apparent for sometime now that Christopher Nolan is a 'pretty good' director that has somehow been mistaken for (and sold as) a great director.

Not sure why.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Some people are going to get annoyed at me for saying this, but... it's been apparent for sometime now that Christopher Nolan is a 'pretty good' director that has somehow been mistaken for (and sold as) a great director.

Not sure why.
    I looked at his list of films.

Insomnia 2002 is awesome. (a great, late Pacino film with a restrained and evil Robin Williams)

as is

The Dark Knight 2008.

other than that............meh
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I saw it in 70mm IMAX and was blown away. I'm sure the medium had something to do with it, but I also knew nothing of the story. The play with timelines was masterful and, like Dark Knight, Nolan managed to build on perilous scene on top of another on top of another, so that you never get break. The score was relentless as well. Awesome movie.

Note: It lacked gore because Nolan wanted a PG-13 rating.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Spoiler: Germans lose in the end.

One of my old man Groucho complaints is the CGI rendering of aircraft in film. BITD, they would use real aircraft (Tora, Tora, Tora comes to mind) which is of course, realistic. Now they use computer renderings of aircraft and IMO, do a lousy job in that while looking real, fly in the manner in what an 8 year old must imagine. Zipping across the screen at what would be probably about 700 mph rather than the true speed of probably 200-300. Havent seen this film yet but I'm always hoping they do a better job.
    You may be pleasantly surprised then. From an interview with Nolan:

Guerrasio: Was there any specific sequence in this movie that was a challenge in the edit?

Nolan: The aerial sequences were particularly challenging because the reality of aerial sequences is they are tremendous eye candy. You watch the dailies you just want to use everything. But you have to be constantly aware in the edit that story drives everything for an audience. And if there isn't a new story point being made you have to be disciplined, so in the aerial sequences we were throwing away some of the most incredible aerial footage that I've ever seen and not putting it in the film because that's what you have to do. You have to trust that with what you are putting in there you are going to convey that sense of visceral excitement and wonderment that you felt in the dailies. That's always a challenge and it takes a long time to hone the whole thing down from a longer cut to a shorter cut.

Guerrasio: I couldn't tell what was visual effects and what was practical in this movie, particularly the sinking destroyers and dogfights. How much visual effects were used?

Nolan: I'm very proud with the visual effects being as seamless as they are. I worked very closely with my visual effects supervisor, who was there shooting with me on set. He basically was doing himself out of a job because he was able to help me achieve things in-camera that would have actually been visual effects and then didn't need to be. So, there's really nothing in the film that isn't in some way based in some kind of practical reality that we put in front of the camera. We didn't want anything to go fully CG and I'm very proud to be able to say that of my films this is the first time when we've been able to make a film that I actually can't remember which of the shots are visual effects and which aren't in some of the sequences. We've never been able to get to that point before.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    I looked at his list of films.

Insomnia 2002 is awesome. (a great, late Pacino film with a restrained and evil Robin Williams)

as is

The Dark Knight 2008.

other than that............meh
    Memento? Classic.

Inception? The story gets a little ridiculous, but his direction and visualization were outstanding.

Same for Interstellar.

He has a way of visualizing things that are seemingly impossible to visualize, and he does it better than most others.

His biggest weakness, both as a writer and director, is how he deals with female characters.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    I told my father that I suggested he see Dunkirk, but that I didn't want to get into why it disappointed me until he saw it. I know that, on one hand, he will have been glad to have went (if he doesn't make the mistake I did by going to the Imax for a $17 seat and $10 parking), but on the other - all hell is going to break loose for not even attempting to show what was driving the entire movie.

Fake President
    Finally, saw it.

Liked it, didn't love it, and for many of the same reasons other ppl have already mentioned - too dispassionate/not much connection with the characters, the scale of the event isn't really apparent, and the constant jumping from location to location – which is meant to be cool/tension-building – just winds up being momentarily confusing, more often than not.

Two and a half stars (out of four). Maybe three if you see it in IMAX, which I didn't, and which would probably give more of an 'epic' feel/sense of grandeur than what I saw, which was 'Dunkirk on a budget'.

Still do dig Kenneth Brannagh, though. Dude's always on point, in any film.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12