biding my time

Saw 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'...

Not gonna bother with a long review, will simply say: See it. It really is that good... good enough that even ppl who don't like superhero movies will like it.

And, finally, a Spider Man film that nails the character (after three prior misses in a row). Sony was very smart indeed to collaborate with Marvel Studios creatively on this one. And Michael Keaton is excellently intense-yet-actually-almost-sympathetic as the villain. He's also key in perhaps the best 'Didn't-see-that-coming' moment in recent summer blockbuster memory.

Oh, and Iron Man/Tony Stark shows up as Spidey's mentor. Great stuff.

Three and a half stars out of four. Yes, it's even a bit better than Wonder Woman... and I liked Wonder Woman plenty.

Last edited by SystemShock; 1 Week Ago at 05:53 AM.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Watched it last night ... both myself and my wife loved it.

You "Must" stick around for the second post credit scene! It explains what happened to Captain America after "Captain America Civil War".
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

Cat 6
    Saw it last night. Probably now my favorite comic movie. Just a whole lot of fun. Took me back to reading friendly neighborhood spidey comics as a kid.

The first spidey movie that also got Peter Parker spot on...

What the Hell is going on
    Well, I hate to be a wet blanket but to nit pick . . . with all the money heaped upon these movies the CGI Spiderman looked flat (think actual cartoon animation). The Transformers CGI are much better. Being more true to the comic books, I'm not a big fan of this "high tech" Spidey especially when it comes to his web shooting capabilities. What's the point of having Spidey sense when you have access to a Spidey drone and Karen. I liked it better when Spidey's web shooters were organic and not man made.

While it was a good movie I fear that I may have reached the saturation point with comic book movies. I still think the Tobey Maguire (Sam Raimi) versions are far superior. Maybe it's because this incarnation of Spider Man deals mostly from his High School perspective (and I don't want to be reminded of that) that it has a Napolean Dynamite feel (not my demographic) but I find him too whiny and effeminate.

The only thing they got right is Auntie May is, indeed, very hot and they finally made Spidey's mask eyes more expressive a la "Deadpool".
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Not gonna bother with a long review, will simply say: See it. It really is that good... good enough that even ppl who don't like superhero movies will like it.

And, finally, a Spider Man film that nails the character (after three prior misses in a row). Sony was very smart indeed to collaborate with Marvel Studios creatively on this one. And Michael Keaton is excellently intense-yet-actually-almost-sympathetic as the villain. He's also key in perhaps the best 'Didn't-see-that-coming' moment in recent summer blockbuster memory.

Oh, and Iron Man/Tony Stark shows up as Spidey's mentor. Great stuff.

Three and a half stars out of four. Yes, it's even a bit better than Wonder Woman... and I liked Wonder Woman plenty.

WW is plenty good ... your reviews are usually dead on for me.. thanks!

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    Well, I hate to be a wet blanket but to nit pick . . . with all the money heaped upon these movies the CGI Spiderman looked flat (think actual cartoon animation). The Transformers CGI are much better. Being more true to the comic books, I'm not a big fan of this "high tech" Spidey especially when it comes to his web shooting capabilities. What's the point of having Spidey sense when you have access to a Spidey drone and Karen. I liked it better when Spidey's web shooters were organic and not man made.

While it was a good movie I fear that I may have reached the saturation point with comic book movies. I still think the Tobey Maguire (Sam Raimi) versions are far superior. Maybe it's because this incarnation of Spider Man deals mostly from his High School perspective (and I don't want to be reminded of that) that it has a Napolean Dynamite feel (not my demographic) but I find him too whiny and effeminate.

The only thing they got right is Auntie May is, indeed, very hot and they finally made Spidey's mask eyes more expressive a la "Deadpool".
    Everything you listed as a dislike is the original story of Spiderman except the high tech and that's just the result of 50 years of comics. Peter was a science nerd, he was picked on, he did invent his web shooters, he didn't fit in, he did joke around to cover his insecurities, didn't understand his powers and was just a neighborhood hero. Original fans got the movie they've been waiting for.

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    WW is plenty good ... your reviews are usually dead on for me.. thanks!
    No prob.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Everything you listed as a dislike is the original story of Spiderman except the high tech and that's just the result of 50 years of comics. Peter was a science nerd, he was picked on, he did invent his web shooters, he didn't fit in, he did joke around to cover his insecurities, didn't understand his powers and was just a neighborhood hero. Original fans got the movie they've been waiting for.
    Sums it up. If you've read the comics, the movie is pretty true to the character(s), it's just updated some.

As in, the advanced Spidey suit as you mention, Flash being a mean nerd instead of a mean jock, Peter's love interest being multiethnic, The Vulture being a formidable guy in high tech flying armor instead of a crazy old bald man in a low-rent flying suit, etc. etc.

There's nothing wrong with bringing Spidey into the 21st century in peripheral ways so long as you remain true to the character. They did.

Result is one of the best superhero films ever, bigtime box office success, and some sequels to come with the same cast.

Bet Andrew Garfield wishes he'd been in this Spider Man movie... poor bastid.

Master debator.
    I've never been a Spiderman fan so I saw the movie under duress with the wife. We were on vacation in wonderful Salmon, ID so the theater was small and not modern. Michael Keaton made the movie imho. I have never liked the fact that Spidy seems to f@ck up more than he eventually fixes. If you paid attention you would not have been too surprised at the big ah hah moment, it really couldn't have went any other way to keep the story moving.

There were some amusing comic relief portions, especially from Ironman and Cpt. America. I apparently also missed something at the end, we stayed through the credits and caught one of the extras, but didn't catch the second one. Rookie mistake, but I wanted out of there.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I've never been a Spiderman fan so I saw the movie under duress with the wife. We were on vacation in wonderful Salmon, ID so the theater was small and not modern. Michael Keaton made the movie imho. I have never liked the fact that Spidy seems to f@ck up more than he eventually fixes. If you paid attention you would not have been too surprised at the big ah hah moment, it really couldn't have went any other way to keep the story moving.
    Don't want to give it away to others, but there's a very obvious reason why a lot of ppl didn't see that one coming.

And, agree that Michael Keaton turned in the strongest performance of anyone.

There were some amusing comic relief portions, especially from Ironman and Cpt. America. I apparently also missed something at the end, we stayed through the credits and caught one of the extras, but didn't catch the second one. Rookie mistake, but I wanted out of there.
    It was another Captain America PSA. Kinda funny, but not that consequential.

Master debator.
    Found the Capt America one on YouTube... looking forward to the next DCU movie for sure.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Sums it up. If you've read the comics, the movie is pretty true to the character(s), it's just updated some.

As in, the advanced Spidey suit as you mention, Flash being a mean nerd instead of a mean jock, Peter's love interest being multiethnic, The Vulture being a formidable guy in high tech flying armor instead of a crazy old bald man in a low-rent flying suit, etc. etc.

There's nothing wrong with bringing Spidey into the 21st century in peripheral ways so long as you remain true to the character. They did.

Result is one of the best superhero films ever, bigtime box office success, and some sequels to come with the same cast.

Bet Andrew Garfield wishes he'd been in this Spider Man movie... poor bastid.
    I love Spider-Man and I've collected Spider-Man comics back in the day (I stopped reading them when they increased the price to $1.50 a title). Don't get me wrong it's a solid movie (maybe even something to write home about) but it felt kinda deja vu (but not in a weird way). If I were to rank them, I would rank them thus: Tobey McQuire's Spider-Man 1,2 and 3 then Spider-Man Homecoming . . . . Green Lantern and the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man's. Things I really like about it are the Ramones and Marisa Tomei (forgive me, I'm old).

What I'm really waiting for is a great Fantastic Four and this time with Galactus! Or maybe just Galactus himself. But I fear this might not happen because Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer was a dud.

Don't get me wrong it's a solid movie (maybe even something to write home about) but I felt kinda deja vu (but not in a good way).
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Cat 6
    I cannot begin to see how you put Spiderman 3 ahead of homecoming .

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    I cannot begin to see how you put Spiderman 3 ahead of homecoming .
    Yeah, he kinda lost me there too.