RoadBikeReview Member

Schwab vs Fidelity vs…?

Already have a Vanguard for a Roth IRA but thinking of adding someone with better research tools, etc. Who do you guys like and why?

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    Already have a Vanguard for a Roth IRA but thinking of adding someone with better research tools, etc. Who do you guys like and why?
    Like the low-fee aspect of Vanguard a lot. I own almost no equities that aren't in mutual funds, though.

I tend to treat my Roth stuff like Ron Popeil would, though; "set it, and forget it."

What kind of research tools are you looking for?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Like the low-fee aspect of Vanguard a lot. I own almost no equities that aren't in mutual funds, though.

I tend to treat my Roth stuff like Ron Popeil would, though; "set it, and forget it."

I have an account with Fidelity and there seems to be way more to that site than Vanguard offers. I don't have visibility into Schwab. I tried set it and forget it with Vanguard for over ten years and would have done better stuffing money in my mattress. Trying to educate myself and pay more attention now.

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    I have an account with Fidelity and there seems to be way more to that site than Vanguard offers. I don't have visibility into Schwab. I tried set it and forget it with Vanguard for over ten years and would have done better stuffing money in my mattress. Trying to educate myself and pay more attention now.
    It has been a rough ten years; simply not losing money is something of an accomplishment. An awful lot of professional money guys haven't done any better.

But there's certainly nothing wrong with becoming more educated as an investor, especially if you plan to be a more active one.

Rep *****.
    I'm looking for a broker on a motorcycle to follow Larry Wildman around.
    Tags: Truckstop Honeys, Becky Beadle, Subaru, 12" stroke, The moon, 10 grams, Beet Smoothie
    <--It aint gonna rep itself. Hit me

RoadBikeReview Member
    Doesn't matter too much if it's Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab etc....it's about the funds you choose with regards to making money. You can get many the same funds through each firm. Take time to research what the funds invest in, top holdings, past years returns....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hontors View Post
    Doesn't matter too much if it's Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab etc....it's about the funds you choose with regards to making money. You can get many the same funds through each firm. Take time to research what the funds invest in, top holdings, past years returns....
    Yeah, I might just do it all with Vanguard. They do seem to have the lowest fees. Seems like Google and Yahoo have most of the tools I'd need to research. But I also thought it might be good to mix it up a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It has been a rough ten years; simply not losing money is something of an accomplishment. An awful lot of professional money guys haven't done any better.

But there's certainly nothing wrong with becoming more educated as an investor, especially if you plan to be a more active one.
    This is true. 2008 was horrible. Luckily my house and old muscle car did pretty well through it all. I think my old Merckx went up in value, too... Trying to decide when to cash in on all the old Stars Wars cards and NOS Campy bits...

Born to chase Ducks
    If you are planning on investing in mutual funds, I recommend trying Morningstar.com for research.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I cannot decide whether the seafoam green Lounge kit is cursed or a suit of armor that protects us...like a lycra St. Christopher's medal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I've had a Schwab account for years and recently upgraded to their Street Smart Edge account. No cost for that, but you need to agree to ~36 transactions/year to qualify as an "active trader". It is a nice all-in-one sort of system, research, charting, live quotes, and some pretty decent research tools, etc.

You need a pretty hefty PC to run it, I have an older dual core 2.8GHz system w/ 3GB ram and it just manages to run the software, I think 3+GHz/4GB ram is what they receommend. I think they are talking about doing a more web-based system in the near future. They give you a 1 hour live tutorial when you sign up with a live person on the other end of the phone and logged into your system. I think they also have dual screen support, you could really use that to be able to see everything all at once.

Their regular web-based tools are OK as well, but having everything you use up and live at the same time is nice. One nice feature is that you can link multiple screens, say you have a trading screen, a charting screen, a research screen, and if you say chart Apple on the charting screen, then switch to the research screen if has Apple loaded as in the News feed and if you switch to the trading screen, Apple is in the quotes/trading tool. It does get addictive, though, so be warned!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fidelity has excellent customer service and a great website for research. With their funds network, you can invest in a wide range of no-load funds from various families. For research, however, Morningstar is the best site.

What kinds of funds are you looking for? Vanguard has a wide range of excellent funds to choose from, index as well as managed. I have heard their customer service is somewhat lacking, however, and minimum investment amounts are high.

If you are looking for an age-based fund-of-funds, I personally think T Rowe Price has the best options. I've got my IRA money split between Fidelity and TR Price. Both have their pros and cons. You can get free access to Morningstar premium service with a TR Price account, which is an excellent perk if you want more research.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2 View Post
    Fidelity has excellent customer service and a great website for research. With their funds network, you can invest in a wide range of no-load funds from various families. For research, however, Morningstar is the best site.

What kinds of funds are you looking for? Vanguard has a wide range of excellent funds to choose from, index as well as managed. I have heard their customer service is somewhat lacking, however, and minimum investment amounts are high.

If you are looking for an age-based fund-of-funds, I personally think T Rowe Price has the best options. I've got my IRA money split between Fidelity and TR Price. Both have their pros and cons. You can get free access to Morningstar premium service with a TR Price account, which is an excellent perk if you want more research.
    Great info, thanks. Was definitely planning to use Morningstar as a resource. I'll check out TR Price