Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Semi-exotic car for daily driver in snowy city???

Ok, building on the other thread...

Disclaimer: This car is not for me (dammit).

A friend is trying to choose a new car. She is a surgeon and wants a once in a lifetime car. The problem is she lives in a city with VERY cold winters and a fair bit of snow and this will be her daily driver. Think Minnesota-like winters.

Suggest a car for her. Here are some criteria:
    1) You can spend up to about $130K
    2) She likes sports cars. Had her eye on a Maserati Gran Turismo but figures it won't be good in the snow. She's also considered a Fisker Karma.
    3) Doesn't like Porsche and didn't really care for the service at her local BMW dealer (last car)
    4) Her husband's car is practical (SUV)
    5) They don't have kids

What sayeth the Lownje?
    Last edited by carveitup; 11-18-2012 at 05:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Nissan GT-R
    Audi R8
    Audi TT-RS

All have AWD but you would still need to put snow tires on them

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Audi S7. 420 horses. AWD. Probably goes like stink.
    Jaguar F-Type V8S. New for 2013. Probably goes like stink. My guess is warm weather only.
    Porsche. AWD. Goes like stink. A piece of perfection. What's not to like?

We have met the enemy...
    I would be all over one of the nicer AWD Audis--sporty, fun to drive, decent reliability.

I think I would pick the A6 over the A8...
    Last edited by paredown; 11-25-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Merc CLS AMG63; 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Alpine edition and a Black one too.
    Another vote for the Audi S7. And definitely snow tires on what ever she get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    2) She likes sports cars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I live in Minneapolis and have 2 cars. You can do nothing to prevent some speedy jackass from sliding 200 feet right into your car.

Perfection car: 1995 Porsche 928 (1 of 50 left out of 104 made that last year). Actually goes UP in value. It is going to the climate-controlled, secure garage under the Central Medical Building on Black Friday and comes out after May 1.

Winter car. 2001 Jeep Grand Charokee 4WD. Runs, runs, runs, and runs. Snow up to 18" is no problem. It's like a heated snowmobile. In Minnesota no one judges you by your winter car. I know 5 multimillionaires. 3 drive a beater in the winter. An old AWD M-B, an AWD BMW, and a FWD Ford. 1 walks thru the Skyway to the office. 1 is chauffered in a company SUV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    She should definitely look at some of the Audis, all of them are all-wheel drive. I currently have an A7 which is one of my all-time favorite cars. But I'm intrigued by the big new performance sedan, the S8.

R8 4.2 - V8, 430 hp, 316 lb-ft, 0-60 in 4.4, starts around $115K
    R8 5.2 - V10, 525 hp, 391 lb-ft, 0-60 in 3.7, starts at $150K

A7 3.0 - V6, supercharged, 310 hp, 325 lb-ft, 0-60 in 5.4, around $70K
    S7 4.2 - V8, turbocharged, 420 hp, 405 lb-ft, 0-60 in 4.5, around $85K

A8 - probably not exciting enough for her, but one of the best of the German luxo barges.
    S8 - the new high performance version of the A8, 4.0 liter, V8, 520 hp, 481 lb-ft, 0-60 in 3.9, around $130K

I've driven an R8 in Chicago winters and it was fine, except front spoiler clearance when the snow was deep.

The A7 is a great value and a really handsome job. It's also a hatchback. I can fold the rear seats down and lay two road bikes flat back there with a moving blanket between them and without removing their wheels.

The S8 is a big luxury sedan with supercar performance stats.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 11-17-2012 at 02:10 PM.

still shedding season
    My Honda Element meets all of those classifications.

I like sports cars too, but don't own one.

gazing from the shadows
    Audi seems a good one car choice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by carveitup View Post
    ... a once in a lifetime car.
    Well, she could get a fully tricked out Subaru rally car that is barely street legal.

Once in a lifetime car + full winter of driving = once for a year car. It seems to me the best solution is two cars. Buy the superdoopercar, buy another one with 4wd for winter. Having the superdoopercar stored for at least 3 months will save a HUGE amount on insurance (and nerves trying to drive the thing on icy streets and through snow drifts). The money might not matter, but the nerves will.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Any of the german sports cars. But she must, MUST invest in a set of performance snow tires on their own set of rims.

I live in Iowa and my wife hates driving in the snow. We started putting on snow tires three cars ago and I can tell you that her cars, Acura RSX Type S and TSX have better control and traction in the snow than my 4 x 4 Explorer with regular tires.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.

Legal Notice: General disclosure of non offensive intent.

The above internet forum poster, by and through the act of posting and participating in said forum, does hereby disclaim and disavow any offensive intent by way of written word, gesture, or emoticon and none should thus be inferred or taken.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Nissan GT-R beautiful body style but not so good in inclement weather
    Audi R8 zero in the snow
    Audi TT-RS = pure sex, very inexpensive, great upgrades, low cost of insurance, nice balance. With an APR Stage 3 you can achieve 600 hp and 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. You'll still pull mid 20's city and mid 30's highway.

All have AWD but you would still need to put snow tires on them

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder View Post
    Any of the german sports cars. But she must, MUST invest in a set of performance snow tires on their own set of rims.
    Agreed. It will make a world of difference.

30 mpdb
    I'd go with the GT-R; the platform allows for insanity on top of already amazing performance. But I gotta ask... What's her current car? The low ride height/clearance of most sports cars sounds like a bad idea in areas that see a lot of snow.

And why someone would subject their "once in a lifetime" car to the foulness that winter can bring is beyond me. But it's not me,and more importantly, it's not my money.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieB313 View Post
    WRC Fully modded Suburu rally car FTW

They cost something like 250K + though.

Modded up to 130k would probably do the trick.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last car was an X3. I'm honestly not too sure why she wants to drive the new one year round. Possibly to justify the tremendous depreciation such a thing would have?

I forgot to mention that she would like a (at least token) back seat.

Based on further conversations, she may still consider BMW. M3, M5, or 6 series... If it were me, I'd do a 335xi with all the performance options (I'd get the wagon, she'd probably prefer the coupe).

She thinks Audis don't have luxurious enough interiors (lots of plastic). Sounds like some of you have driven the A7/S7. How's the interior?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Needs to get over the Porsche issue. Carrera 4S all the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieB313 View Post
    The proof is in the pudding

PS- I hear they come with co-driver to yell at you in any select foreign language- German is preferred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyb0...feature=relmfu
    So are you suggesting a Citroen then? Hard to get in N. America...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    As a Minnesotan physician, we don't drive our "semi-exotics" in the winter. Tell her to get whatever she likes for the warmer months and budget for a winter car.

That said, my wife's RWD jaguar XJ does just fine with snow tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm with an earlier poster, have her go test drive a 911 4S. They are phenomenal cars and all she'd need is a second set of tires for the winter. If after driving one she is still not on board with it then I'd say look at the GTR. Third option would be Audi S5.
    Personally I'd avoid the Maserati.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Audi R8 with studded tires.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paralizer View Post
    I'm with an earlier poster, have her go test drive a 911 4S. They are phenomenal cars ...
    Oddly, the Porsche happens to be the second most reliable car out there too. You'll get 200,000 to 300,000 out of a drive-train. Perfect balance. I think q_and_a owned one before he bought his Merc a couple years back. We both followed the same pattern of evolution through Audi to Porsche.

All in all, I'd still be driven' an F150 4x4 to get to my beepers in the mid-night oil. Tall, thin tires and careful. The other three seasons? Do what ever I can to get there on pair of Conti 4000 S and good chain lube. Cars are soooo over rated.

Below a nice take on the S.

Every ride is a race
    is she single? she's a woman and i've always liked women. and she has money. i like that too. i'll move to her.

30 mpdb
    Sports car? check.
    AWD? check.
    Semi-exotic? check.
    Car of a lifetime? check.
    Snow-capable daily driver? chizzeck.

Masters Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by locobaylor View Post
    is she single? she's a woman and i've always liked women. and she has money. i like that too. i'll move to her.
    Hmmm. Must not have read the OP very close.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast