Le MisÚrable

Serie A question

Not being a big follower of Italian football, I don't see much of it...but tonight I'm sitting here watching a very entertaining CL match between Napoli and Chelsea, and what do I see in the Neapolitan crowd but a boatload of Confederate flags!!

If this were Lazio I wouldn't be surprised--their supporters seem to adopt every single icon ever remotely associated with racial discrimination--but it's not so WTF? Is there a legitimate association there I don't know about?

I was hoping for something innocent like strawberry, vanilla and chocolate ice cream...
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

We're no better than mice

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Napoli and the rest of southern Italy feel looked down upon and have identified with the Rebel losers of the confederacy. Hence, the flags.

Now rep me.
    Dictated but not read.

Le MisÚrable
    You're gonna have to live with the verbal tip, Henry: the machine won't let me rep you again for like a hundred years or something.

That goes for you too, E-ride. Good linky. Again.

Interesting about Napoli. I have no first-hand experience with southern Italy...I can agree that the northerners have some good reasons to be snobby, though: the lakes north of Milano are one my very favorite vacation spots.

My in-laws all say that southern Italy is dirty and inbred and that nothing works right, but I'll refrain from judgment until I see for myself...they say the same thing about Marseille, after all, which I find to be perfectly charming.

Incidentally, this match is in extra time after highly improbable back-to-back 3-1 road wins.

PS Chelsea just scored.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Ivanovic 4-1

Man, Roebuck is going to kill you two for not including spoilers.
    Dictated but not read.

Good day to You, I wish to Congratulate and Inform You that Your Urgent Attention Is Needed at Our Branch Office In the United Kingdom As Your email Have Won The CHEVRON MSN and yahoo ONLINE ENDOWMENT FUND AWARD worth $3,000,000.00

Great news! That's probably enough to buy Fernando Torres.

I told you the handball for the penalty was obvious

CHELSEA 5 NAPOLI 4

.....there it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

117 min Napoli on the ball for the first time in ages. Chelsea with 11 men back in their half. Pandev tries a very silly shot on the turn from just outside the box. Goal kick, and Luiz has gone down in a heap after doing some limping. He's back up, and still limping.

120+1 min We're going to have two minutes of added time. Bathtub refinishing at goalie line.

120+2 min Chelsea win a throw,.Drogba chucks his arms around to summon up more enthusiasm from the stands. He succeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide View Post
    Good day to You, I wish to Congratulate and Inform You that Your Urgent Attention Is Needed at Our Branch Office In the United Kingdom As Your email Have Won The CHEVRON MSN and yahoo ONLINE ENDOWMENT FUND AWARD worth $3,000,000.00

Great news! That's probably enough to buy Fernando Torres.
    Too bad that won't get you any goals.
    Dictated but not read.

Le MisÚrable
    E-ride, this is as weird as those threads where you claim to like NASCAR and firearms.

PS did anyone see Drogba's flop towards the end of regulation time, where the Napoli player took a swipe at the right side of Drogba's face, missed by six inches, and then Drogba went down in a heap holding the left side of his face? The ref bought it, too.

It's just weird to see a guy that big and muscly act like the skinny heel in a 70s wrestling video.

--Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ibashii View Post

PS did anyone see Drogba's flop towards the end of regulation time, where the Napoli player took a swipe at the right side of Drogba's face.
    Drogba would do well here in the lounge. This isn't the first time.

Ferdinand is out as Drogba awaits verdict - The National

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter View Post
    Man, Roebuck is going to kill you two for not including spoilers.
    I'm drafting letters as we speak.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Oh! and good morning papa

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide View Post
    Oh! and good morning papa
    And a good evening to you, too!
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
    I feel it important to tell you that, after taking a harrowing bus ride through the city, then having my wife's coat run over by an inconsiderate ******* after I moved to pick it up where she dropped it, I vowed never to appreciate Napoli in all it's squalor.

I immediately shifted into New York-Italian mode (complete with hand gestures) trying, in vain, to convey my disgust with the ****-stick who almost killed me to the apparent amusement of several witnesses.

As my wife ushered me away, it became obvious that you just cannot out-Italian Italians...particularly on their home turf.
    hang out in Podium Girls - the desperation there is way funny - terry b
    I don't get either but that is irrelevant to the comedic impact and it's resulting effect on the male centric hegemony contained therein... - svendo
    when I was a n00b there were no message boards to clutter up with trolling posts. I had to do it the hard way....standing at the mall making fun of people loudly - Platy
    ...in short, antonio_b ... it's time to embrace your inner Travis Bickle - spirito

Le MisÚrable
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio_B View Post
    I feel it important to tell you that, after taking a harrowing bus ride through the city, then having my wife's coat run over by an inconsiderate ******* after I moved to pick it up where she dropped it, I vowed never to appreciate Napoli in all it's squalor.

I immediately shifted into New York-Italian mode (complete with hand gestures) trying, in vain, to convey my disgust with the ****-stick who almost killed me to the apparent amusement of several witnesses.

As my wife ushered me away, it became obvious that you just cannot out-Italian Italians...particularly on their home turf.
    LOL...even in the north, I have to admit that I've had the same thought. It's best to just go along with it and never get mad at anybody no matter what they do, because nothing good ever comes out of it.

France is like this to some extent, but whenever I get frustrated with my Gallic lot in life I just think about Italy. Then again, Italians say the same thing about Greece, so I guess it's all relative.

--Hugo

E-ride, this is as weird as those threads where you claim to like NASCAR and firearms.

PS did anyone see Drogba's flop towards the end of regulation time, where the Napoli player took a swipe at the right side of Drogba's face, missed by six inches, and then Drogba went down in a heap holding the left side of his face? The ref bought it, too.

It's just weird to see a guy that big and muscly act like the skinny heel in a 70s wrestling video.
    Dictated but not read.

Le MisÚrable
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter View Post
    I think the top pick is actually a shot of the play I'm talking about: the French broadcast zoomed in on the musclebound fool and mocked him pretty good for a few seconds, especially the part where he opened his eyes, looked around carefully to see if his dive had worked, and then went back to writhing in pain.

--Hugo

Failboat Captian
    flat rabbit
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

I think the top pick is actually a shot of the play I'm talking about: the French broadcast zoomed in on the musclebound fool and mocked him pretty good for a few seconds, especially the part where he opened his eyes, looked around carefully to see if his dive had worked, and then went back to writhing in pain.
    It is that play.
    Dictated but not read.