ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Shock absorbers for my Nissan

Gas filled or hydraulic/oil filled? I'll do the work, gas is a few bucks more.

Slippery Old Devil
    Gas is not effected by temperature.....if it gets cold where you live.

Beetpull DeLite
    What vehicle?

If you liked how it rode and handled before, just buy the OEM ones at a dealer. Courtesy Nissan sells online pretty cheap at courtesyparts.com.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    What vehicle?

If you liked how it rode and handled before, just buy the OEM ones at a dealer. Courtesy Nissan sells online pretty cheap at courtesyparts.com.
    if I remember correctly a '03 Nissan Xterra.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    What vehicle?

How I roll. On my cars if I am going to replace a wear and tear part, when it is time I'll always replace with a better than OEM part if such a part is available. Case in point, I'm looking at KYB gas adjust shocks for the rears, thinking they are $60 or so each, hydraulic are $50 range, I'm doing the work myself (undo 4 bolts for the whole job, spritz on some PB blaster in advance, easy stuff, cost saving) so I'm not talking about spending big money here. But also won't do the overkill either like putting on a lift kit or something crazy on a daily driver. I think I'll do gas, I once upon a time replaced OEM shocks on a car with KYB, was completely satisfied, flattened out the cornering a bit, helped reduce body roll.

Beetpull DeLite
    KYB's recommended for Altimas on the forums, partially for the reason you mention. But IMO the Altima rides just fine so I think I'll go with OEM. I'm tempted to do the same on brakes, since at 90k miles they're barely worn.

Sometimes 'better than OEM' isn't so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I believe KYB makes OEM shocks for Nissan.
    Struts too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    KYBs get mixed reviews on the VW Vanagon forum I'm a member of. These are also heavy vehicles and the 4wd versions get heavily modded for off road use - so this info may be applicable to you too. Bilstien HD get great reviews and the LT version I put on my wife's Jetta are a noticeable improvment over the OEM shocks. The OEM shocks weren't worn out when I replaced them either -one had a bent shaft, don't ask.

Beetpull DeLite
    What'd you end up doing? When I rotated my tires I noticed that the front left appears to be leaking a bit and the boot's ripped open on the front right. The OEM prices are ridiculous - $500 for shocks alone, no mounts or boots! KYB is sounding much more appetizing.

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: Shock absorbers for my Nissan

Quote Originally Posted by oily666 View Post
    Gas is not effected by temperature.....if it gets cold where you live.
    Is this really true? As far I know gas shocks still function by forcing a fluid through valves... The gas is just used to allow the shock to be fully sealed, as the shaft displaces fluid when it enters the body... And that fluid needs to go somewhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    not sure if koni has a shock for these applications, but you can never go wrong with a koni shock/strut.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Infiniti needs shocks in the worst way. Wondering if we can get away with Nissan shocks......hmmm!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    Is this really true? As far I know gas shocks still function by forcing a fluid through valves... The gas is just used to allow the shock to be fully sealed, as the shaft displaces fluid when it enters the body... And that fluid needs to go somewhere.
    Gas shocks are still oil filled, but the gas is used to keep the oil from foaming which can happen from rapid compression and rebound.

My personal preference if talking aftermarket are Koni, Tokico, and KYB in that order. Depending on model you could have no adjustments, rebound adjustments, or compression and rebound adjustments available to tailor the ride quality. That helps alot when installing aftermarket springs as well with different spring rates, otherwise the shock absorber can't control the spring. If you've ever seen a lowered vehicle bouncing around then you know what I'm talking about.
    Sent from my Personal Computer while tapping on the keyboard

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    The Infiniti needs shocks in the worst way. Wondering if we can get away with Nissan shocks......hmmm!
    Rock Auto should tell you what parts interchange.