Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    No human is quicker than a DSG/PDK auto-manual type gearbox. Additionally, these gearboxes make the best use of engine management software and shift points. Manual gearboxes are dying for a good reason; they are garbage in comparison to a good auto-manual. Ferrari dumped manual crap many moons ago.
    Exactly. Someone was just doing a little trolling.

The 0-60 thing was not my reason for buying in any case, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

My Corvette is manual but I notice even there that tests of the new auto versions are quicker and it's all the local dealer seems to be ordering. In the real world, it's the blasts up through 2nd and 3rd that are of most interest. (If only those 325's would hook up ).
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    VW doesn’t have the reliability of Audi. A TTS is like 300 pounds lighter than a Golf and the TTS has a completely different AWD system with the “dynamic mode” putting power 40/60.
    Everything I've seen says that the Golf R and the TTS use the same engine, transmission, and Haldex AWD system. Please point to where it shows the AWD system is different.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    No DSG is quicker unless you believe the Volkswagen lies. And in case you didn't know Volkswagen lies a lot. The only reason to buy a DSG is if a) you can't drive a stick (shame on you) or b) the wife will also drive it (shame on her).

Ok so it also could be that the husband will drive it if you're a girl cyclist, but I think we scared them all away.
    Every road test I've seen shows the DSG Golf R is ~0.7 sec quicker than the manual 0-60. It is really fun to launch the DSG, put it in launch control mode, stomp on the brake with your left foot, stomp on the gas with the right, when it hits 3200 rpm slip the left foot off the brake and let the DSG do its thing Oh, and be all the way back in the seat with your head on the headrest. The DSG seems to shift much harder than normal when you do this. 60 comes up pretty quickly. Lots of fun. Too bad the manual doesn't have launch control, that would help close the gap on the DSG.

The biggest issue I have with the Golf R is the GTI. I've driven both back to back (both manual and DSG versions of both,) and as good as the Golf R is it just reminds you how good the GTI is. Other than the extra HP I just found the GTI to be more enjoyable to drive. Now if they made a Golf R Sportwagen I'd be all over that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You obviously have more direct experience than me. I've looked at a lot of online reviews, English and German. This was the one

We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening

One.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Ah the misinformation... Since threads like these inevitably lead to the F1 racing argument, let me remind everyone up front that the reason Formula 1 went to automated transmissions was not for speed, but for durability (you can't over-rev on a mis-shift). Which is why car manufactures have done this as well. Whatever a manual loses on launch or shifting it more than makes up for in being able to over-rev the DSG shift points. But the proof is in the pudding. If you're interested in actual performance, not massaged test cars (which VW has already admitted to detuning manuals for), all you have to do is check out DragTimes.com.

To wit the Golf R:

13.257* 103.160 Stock Volkswagen Golf R DSG
    13.210* 106.100 Stock Volkswagen Golf R

Note the mph difference. Is it quicker to 60? Maybe, hard to say, but how many times do you use launch control on a daily basis?

I'd also point out that this isn't particularly fast for a $40,000 "sports" car, especially considering it's not "real" AWD. The Evo or STi have far better AWD systems that will provide far better performance. Tuning the Golf R will definitely yield better results with a manual car.

In full disclosure I own a VW (diesel pre-emission gate) and I'm quite happy with it. But VW lies about EVERYTHING. They lie about shift points on the DSG (look it up on VWVortex), they lie about DSG mpg (look it up on TDIForum), they even lie about what a DSG actually is, which is NOT a dry clutch transmission. Whatever it says on the tach, speedo, or fuel economy average, you're a fool to believe it if you own a VW.
    Last edited by DrSmile; 01-02-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tka View Post
    Please point to where it shows the AWD system is different.
    FIRST DRIVE: 2017 Audi S3 -- Small changes make a big difference
    Google "dynamic mode" "40/60" audi tts and you can read for yourself. Audi's Haldex IS NOTING like VWs.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    You obviously have more direct experience than me. I've looked at a lot of online reviews, English and German. This was the one

At 2:34 Das war geil mit dem weihnacht baum, Sie sieht aus wie Sandra Bollach
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    At 2:34 Das war geil mit dem weihnacht baum, Sie sieht aus wie Sandra Bollach
    Bitte

(but who is Sandra Bollach?)

One.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Bitte

(but who is Sandra Bollach?)

Typo Sandra Bullock
    Last edited by Eretz; 01-04-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Matnlely Dregaend
    Google "dynamic mode" "40/60" audi tts and you can read for yourself. Audi's Haldex IS NOTING like VWs.
    Not to poop on everything, but I despise Audi's newer AWD systems, even the Torsen based ones, because they cheapened out and went with brake controlled rear and front diffs, which basically makes your car incredibly dangerous should you experience slip on takeoff. The car stops, and you get sideswiped by traffic. Turn off the traction control and now the car won't stop, but starts spinning when you look at it funny.

All part-time AWD systems are generally poor performers. My 2017 Honda CR-V is downright unsafe. Go Subaru!
    Last edited by DrSmile; 01-03-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    It is literally the same system- just with different programming. Haldex Gen 5. There are aftermarket Haldex programming tools.

Note that the application list for the aftermarket controllers includes both VWs and Audis:

Haldex Performance Controllers | HPA Motorsports, Inc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    So fingers crossed for my first VW in more than 40 years.
    I'm in the clear minority but between my wife and I we've had the following VWs together and have had relatively few problems compared to our friends with other makes;

74 Super Beetle
    97 Jetta
    01 Jetta Wagon (traded in last spring with 140k miles)
    91 Westfalia (still have it)
    17 Alltrack (wife's daily driver and go-to for any out of town drives)

The Bug and the Westy are in different leagues compared to modern cars so you can throw them out as data points.

The 97 Jetta had an electronic glitch that would cause the car alarm to sound when you pressed the window buttons, but that's really the only thing I remember being wrong with it. My wife just fell in love with the wagon so we traded it in. I forget the mileage.

The 01 had an ignition switch and a tranny issue that would temporarily disable the car but both were repaired under recall fairly soon after we noticed the problems. We loved everything else about the car EXCEPT that it developed a severe misfire whenever the roads were slushy (such as during any awesome ski day). That wasn't something we could live with and mechanic never could figure it out. I also did something stupid that resulted in a lot of zip-ties and DIY "body work" and much less space to change the oil filter... So we traded it in on the Alltrack.

We only have 6,500 miles on the Alltrack but the only issue has been that the infotainment system needed to be reflashed a month after we bought it. So far it's an awesome car for what we need it for.

Meanwhile, all of my friends with Subies have had head gaskets replaced and door seals that fell out. Don't even get me started on my coworker's 2015 Dodge Ram (he kept it less than a year), and I know for sure that a certain vintage of Nissans have problems with exhaust manifold studs busting. My friend made out great with Toyota's frame replacement recall, but what a hassle to go through. And I've seen plenty of other newer cars of various makes sitting on the side of the highway with a POed owner staring at them.

IME, and I know I'm an oddball on this forum in this regard, VWs aren't as unreliable as they're made out to be and people sometimes overlook problems that plague other makes. Meanwhile, for the money, VW makes a pretty nice car that is fun to drive and has styling that is far more appealing to some compared to other cars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for that. Only a week or so until the arrival of mine. It's loaded with electronics and "driver aids" so hopefully I will manage to learn how everything works. After owning many different cars over the years I was thinking this will be my first ever turbo. Will report with first impressions when I get my hands on it.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    . Will report with first impressions when I get my hands on it.
    My guess is that you're going to LOVE it. The Alltrack is my first turbo as well. It's no R but even it feels like far more performance than I should be in control of.

I'm certain there are electronic things that I will never learn to use in that car.

I drooled over the R that was in the showroom.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    You will love it I think.
    The philosophy of the Golf was always to have the driver being able to control everything with its power. To some people boring maybe but actually a very safe concept. Especially because many drivers are not as skilled as they think they are. Post your review!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I have a 2017 R Manual. Now at 24K miles. Love it. Understated. Get the Dynamic Suspension. Makes a huge difference between 3 settings. I also got a Stage 1 APR tune, which is simple ECU change, bumps power to about 370HP. My wife and teenager daughter also drive it!

And yes you can easily fit a bike in without removing wheels!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Crappy aftermarket hack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Go Subaru!
    Yea, util your head gasket blows as they always do on Subies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    My wife sold her 10 y.o. Subaru Forester with more than 300,000 km. No head gasket blow etc.... She bought a new Subaru Crosstrek.

But even with a head gasket blow problem, my wife would have bought another Subaru. The AWD was for example very important to her.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No, on STIs it’s the ringlands

RoadBikeReview Member
    Only a few days now.

I've seen some debate as to where these are manufactured. Other Golfs are made in Mexico and rumor was that Golf R production was moved there also. Even my salesperson here seemed to think Mexico. NTTAWWT.

But I just got the VIN, and that says Germany, Wolfsburg.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flafonta View Post
    I also got a Stage 1 APR tune, which is simple ECU change, bumps power to about 370HP.
    Very useful on public roads. lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very useful on public roads. lol
    I do think there's a sense of immediacy to very high HP cars that is very nice even on public roads. I'd also say that if you buy a car like this and never take it to the track, you are selling yourself short.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I needed a 5 door hatchback, and want something with performance without being too "boy racer" ish. Subaru don't seem to do the HB version of the WRX any more and the sedan has the big wing. Likewise the FOCUS RS is a little too showoffy and hardcore as well as only having a manual when I wanted to try a DSG type transmission.
    As a WRX STI owner I take offense to your remarks about "boy racerish"

You do know that you can get the WRX STI without the wing your so concerned about. (STI looks stupid without the wing IMHO.)

You can also get the Ford Focus RS in a muted Grey if you don't dig the Blue FYI.

If you really must have German why not look at an Audi S3 ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    As I said, if Subaru sold the hatchback version, I might have considered it.

The Audi S3 is a sedan also, so not what I need, and with similar spec to the Golf R is about $8,500 more here in Canada.

The Focus RS is available only in red or blue and is a whopping $15,000 more expensive than the Golf. $60,000 vs $45,000 (loaded).

My Golf will be extremely stealthy. And as an added bonus, it turns out to be very cheap to insure.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 01-10-2018 at 11:21 AM.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member

My Golf will be extremely stealthy. And as an added bonus, it turns out to be very cheap to insure.

Sup Brah?

don't forget to have your fender liners removed and fenders rolled when you have it stanced & bagged. Keys on a lanyard, flat brim hat and vape stick you'll be set.

Name:  554ff557b6c628d66917ded432e8e40b.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  34.4 KB

You'll be able to talk all kinds of sh!t about WRX's and Evo's after you get that Stage 1 package.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast