Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 57 of 57
  1. #51
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: nealric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,843
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    As I said, if Subaru sold the hatchback version, I might have considered it.

    The Audi S3 is a sedan also, so not what I need, and with similar spec to the Golf R is about $8,500 more here in Canada.

    The Focus RS is available only in red or blue and is a whopping $15,000 more expensive than the Golf. $60,000 vs $45,000 (loaded).

    My Golf will be extremely stealthy. And as an added bonus, it turns out to be very cheap to insure.
    I almost dismissed the STI over the lack of hatch, but I've found that with the seats folded down, you get 95% of the utility of a hatch. The trunk space is much bigger than on its hatch-based counterparts. Still, I can totally understand why someone would choose the Golf R over the STI.

  2. #52
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: WRM4865's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    I almost dismissed the STI over the lack of hatch, but I've found that with the seats folded down, you get 95% of the utility of a hatch. The trunk space is much bigger than on its hatch-based counterparts.
    "this"

  3. #53
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    I Still, I can totally understand why someone would choose the Golf R over the STI.
    "that"

  4. #54
    tka
    tka is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    FIRST DRIVE: 2017 Audi S3 -- Small changes make a big difference
    Google "dynamic mode" "40/60" audi tts and you can read for yourself. Audi's Haldex IS NOTING like VWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    It is literally the same system- just with different programming. Haldex Gen 5. There are aftermarket Haldex programming tools.

    Note that the application list for the aftermarket controllers includes both VWs and Audis:

    Haldex Performance Controllers | HPA Motorsports, Inc.
    I heard back from a former co-worker. He had just got back from Sweden, was over there for some development work and he got a chance to drive several Gen 5 & next Gen Haldex systems. He confirmed that the Audi S3 & Golf R systems are identical except for the programming and some mounting differences. He is now an ECU developer for BorgWarner, parent company of Haldex. I'll give you a guess on why he was in Sweden.

  5. #55
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bikerjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,492
    Well, there was a months delay as cars from my shipment were held for inspection in Halifax because of an unusually rough voyage. I've now had it for a week and it's very nice indeed. Lots to learn with all the modes, displays, and DSG. It's fast.

    I joined a VW Golf 7R forum and the US side is still waiting. Nobody really knows why for sure except maybe the EPA was sticking it to VW.

    Snow has gone already since last week when this was taken, maybe spring will sprung.

    Last edited by bikerjulio; 02-23-2018 at 05:51 PM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

  6. #56
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,510
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post

    I joined a VW Golf 7R forum and the US side is still waiting. Nobody really knows why for sure except maybe the EPA was sticking it to VW.

    Snow has gone already since last week when this was taken, maybe spring will sprung.

    You'll love the vehicle. Perhaps the best bang out there ever for the buck.
    Last edited by Eretz; 02-24-2018 at 06:47 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -


  7. #57
    Boobies!
    Reputation: paredown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Well, there was a months delay as cars from my shipment were held for inspection in Halifax because of an unusually rough voyage. I've now had it for a week and it's very nice indeed. Lots to learn with all the modes, displays, and DSG. It's fast.

    I joined a VW Golf 7R forum and the US side is still waiting. Nobody really knows why for sure except maybe the EPA was sticking it to VW.

    Snow has gone already since last week when this was taken, maybe spring will sprung.

    Happy you got your new ride! Enjoy!!
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. RBR TdF 2018 Predictions! Post by Start Time 2018
    By PJay in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 07-28-2018, 07:45 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-10-2016, 06:41 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2015, 12:55 PM
  4. Oil Not Priced in Dollars by 2018?
    By KenB in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 02:43 PM
  5. how to buy golf clubs...
    By raptorUW in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.