Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side business

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Side business

Looking for some side business ideas. Have some free time and looking to starting a business. Anybody started a business with tips or advices?

Russian Troll Farmer
    If you don't have any ideas of your own, you are not going to make any profit. Business is not something you can make a go at with just your 'free time'.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

hello
    If you own a good car you can drive people around and make a few bucks.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Darling of The Lounge
    This worked for me a few years back:

I made enough money to buy a new pellet gun!

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    This worked for me a few years back:

I made enough money to buy a new pellet gun!
    Imagine how many sea monkeys you could buy with the money you make selling seeds!

Russian Troll Farmer
    Oh, wow, a THREE SPEED BICYCLE is one of the prizes!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    There’s good money in selling kidneys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Stick with the proven winners, Amway and illegal drugs top the list for MLM schemes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cryptocurrency mining, if you can get someone else (landlord, employer) to provide the electricity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Once 401k is maxed out, what is next? Put it down extra for mortgage, increase brokerage account, real estate, or start a small side business? Just curious what others have done?

Proud luddite
    I tried to make a go at being a gigolo once. For some reason my potential customers couldn't stop laughing.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by tk288 View Post
    Once 401k is maxed out, what is next? Put it down extra for mortgage, increase brokerage account, real estate, or start a small side business? Just curious what others have done?

Good question.
    Last edited by Eretz; 05-21-2018 at 02:56 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Do you have any hobbies you're really good at? Photography? Free lance yourself for weddings and other events. Fishing? There are people that will pay you to take them around. It's amazing that people will pay for just about anything.

I was lucky. My hobby has always been biking so I helped open a bike shop. Full time I'm an accountant and I'm thoroughly burnt out on that, but I can hopefully retire in five years. A few people have told me I should consult small businesses on the side.

I've wondered if I could start a new, stress free career for the last few years. Teaching? Too political. Be an artist? I suppose I'd stress if I didn't sell anything. The best I've come up with is to become a drone photographer. There are lots of them out there, but I bet the industry is still growing. You could do weddings, realty, corporate events, sporting events, and I bet the list goes on. The other one I thought is being some sort of vacation planner, as I've planned several good bike trips over the past few years for me and a few of my friends. But I hate selling, and one way or another, you have to sell in either of these two positions.

Locally the easiest job to start in my area seems to be lawn care. But I'm too old to be working that hard for money!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I know some retirees doing a tour guide on the side.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I'm in the early stages of a side business. I work as a chef with my particular specialty being in pastry. But there's not a lot of demand for a pastry chef where I live so I work hot side because bills must be paid. So I started doing chocolate work at home just to get that side of what I do out of my system. Since I don't eat a lot of that stuff, just enjoy making it, I started giving the results of my hobby out to friends and family. Some of them shared it with their friends and co-workers and the question of whether I was willing to make things to sell began to arise. My initial inclination was to say no but then a more practical part of me asked "why not?" The easy answer to that is because I do it for fun and sometimes when you introduce a business aspect to your hobby, it can take away from the fun. But I decided that it can still be up to me how much I want to do so I've slowly started working my way into it. It's still at the slow end of the cottage craft category right now. Just word of mouth and requests. But it does generate enough cash to pay for new toys that I can expand my hobby with. I currently have a melanger on it's way that will allow me to begin playing around with bean to bar production and I'm getting ready to order a bunch of additional molds which will make producing in quantity easier... all funded by the side business that's something I was already doing anyway just for fun.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Seat's not level
    H&b...
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    There are a lot of things attached to starting up a side business besides figuring out what you want to do and how to do it. One of the bigger difficulties I'm encountering is coming up with a name for my side business. Need that before instagram, twitter, facebook page, any of that sort of thing, can be set up to help promote the business and network with others doing similar. I came up with North of 50 Chocolates... I live just slightly above 50° N, I'm just over 50 in age and it's a play on the Canadian tv series North of 60 so it seemed semi-clever... but I keep second-guessing it.
    - 10ae1203

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    I'm in the early stages of a side business. I work as a chef with my particular specialty being in pastry. But there's not a lot of demand for a pastry chef where I live so I work hot side because bills must be paid. So I started doing chocolate work at home just to get that side of what I do out of my system. Since I don't eat a lot of that stuff, just enjoy making it, I started giving the results of my hobby out to friends and family. Some of them shared it with their friends and co-workers and the question of whether I was willing to make things to sell began to arise. My initial inclination was to say no but then a more practical part of me asked "why not?" The easy answer to that is because I do it for fun and sometimes when you introduce a business aspect to your hobby, it can take away from the fun. But I decided that it can still be up to me how much I want to do so I've slowly started working my way into it. It's still at the slow end of the cottage craft category right now. Just word of mouth and requests. But it does generate enough cash to pay for new toys that I can expand my hobby with. I currently have a melanger on it's way that will allow me to begin playing around with bean to bar production and I'm getting ready to order a bunch of additional molds which will make producing in quantity easier... all funded by the side business that's something I was already doing anyway just for fun.
    MMMMNmmmmmm chocolate!

My lovely wife worked with a bean to bar specialty maker--still miss that chocolate. (He won prizes in the UK competitions with his.)

Vosges-Haut started out small--she used to rent commercial production space and do everything herself in the beginning.
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

Sweet Potato Kugel

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    That is different from your original question. This is what to do with extra money. The original seemed to ask what to do with extra time. My accountant has always recommended extra money should be used to pay down the mortgage, but there are arguments against that as mortgages these days are pretty cheap. I would love to invest in real estate but have never felt competent to do that on my own. I have invested and done OK with that. Investments have included the normal securities but also REIT funds (so proxy real estate) and tax free bond funds.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    If I had free time and looking for some extra cash, I'd give the Oldest Profession a try.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    If I had free time and looking for some extra cash, I'd give the Oldest Profession a try.
    In that case, he can deduct male enhancement medication cost as business expense in tax return.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    In that case, he can deduct male enhancement medication cost as business expense in tax return.
    This must be Mrs. tk288.
    - 10ae1203

Seat's not level
    Anybody started a business with tips or advices?
    You must be a pretty good waitress if you can start a business with tips and advice...
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Frog Whisperer
    Been running my own business since 1979. Next person that says "you're lucky, you got your own business".......

I decided early on to keep it a one man show.

Seriously, you are on, 24/7. If you're not actually working, you're worrying about it.

Work always comes first, it has to or it doesn't work.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast