Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sigh

Frog Whisperer

sigh

Those of you who know me know I have pretty much always had a good dog by my side.

Today, I lost one of the best dogs I have ever had, I loved her, she was my buddy. and since I work from my home, I have had her by my side 10 to 24 hours a day, for 13 years. I made it a point to tell her almost every day "I'm going to miss you when you're dead"

And I will.

13 years, she had a great life with a 15 acre wooded yard, she came every time I called her and never chased game.

God speed Lace......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sigh-20161219_155847.jpg  
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

What the what???
    I’m sorry to hear that, T0G. Mrs. Opus and I have sworn off dogs... at least for the foreseeable future. We get too attached to see them go so soon.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    So sorry, ToG.

Master debator.
    When people say they feel your pain, I don't believe it except when it comes to animals. Losing a good dog is tough, my girl shepherd is by my feet as I type and both her and I wish you comfort in getting though this tough time.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

take on me
    Sucks, man.

Always hurts when a good dog goes to heaven.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Crusty AF
    She lived a wonderful, full life with you from what we've seen on here. The worst part is how their live times don't line up with ours.

I'm so sorry for your loss :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm sorry to hear it.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Really sorry, TOG. Animals stay so honest and true to themselves, right up to the end. It just doesn't seem fair they have to go.

Sweet photo, BTW. Anyone can see she was awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    My condolences

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry. I hope she had an easy passing.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    When 5 am rolls around, I will be wide awake, waiting for her to bark to go outside,

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Condolences ToG. A good dog is a treasure; I'm sorry you lost her.

half-fast
    Sad news. Not much in life like a good dog. They are a gift.

gazing from the shadows
    Losing any pet is tough, but losing a special buddy is even worse. You have my most sincere condolences for your loss.

She had a great life, and you had the joy of being there with her for it. She did good, you did good. Try to hold onto that when the pain and emptiness hits, it won't make it better, but eventually it helps to bring a smile to your face when you think of her.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry to hear that TOG, 13 yrs for a Lab is about the norm. Hope she went easy. Start thinking about the next dog, shelter rescue maybe? I think she is grateful she had you as well.

Frog Whisperer
    She had a great life, after the first year she was pretty much never on a chain or lead and once or twice ever, confined to a kennel for a few hours. We live in the middle of a 15 acre woodlot and she had free reign. She came every time I called her and never left our property. If she saw deer or turkeys, she would drop to her haunches and look at me. She was incredibly gentle, I caught her more than once parading around with a bird in her mouth that she had "rescued", which I made her give to me so I could release them.(never left a mark, pretty sure they were pretty disgusted by being spit covered. I absolutely never saw her display any aggression or ever heard her growl for any reason. My grand daughter would use her as a chair and feed her crayons!

About 3 of 4 years ago, she tore her acl and I rehabbed her and got her back in great shape with no surgery. As long as I could run her and keep her leg muscles in good shape she was fine, not even a limp. BUT she had multiple cancers and for the past 3 weeks was really showing the effects, She was in pain and it was time to make the call.

I had bought her a big ole bag of food on Thursday, and after making the decision on Friday morning I had to go to town so I returned it, the gal asked "is there anything wrong with it?" I teared up and choked out "no, I'm not going to need it....." That was tough.
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:22 AM.

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I had bought her a big ole bag of food on Thursday, and after making the decision on Friday morning I had to go to town so I returned it, the gal asked "is there anything wrong with it?" I teared up and choked out "no, I'm not going to need it....." That was tough.
    So sorry for your loss.

Parting with a furry companion is never easy. Time may lessen the pain, but it never goes away entirely.

Cherish the happy memories and the years of love, both witnessed and shared.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ToG,

Condolences on your loss. That's a hard one for sure.

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    BUT she had multiple cancers and for the past 3 weeks was really showing the effects, She was in pain and it was time to make the call.
    It's good that her suffering is over, and as hard as it was to do, you ended her suffering. Again, I'm sorry.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Sorry for your loss!

We have met the enemy...
    Sorry for your loss, my friend.

I think she had a great, full life with you and the woods, and the other humans. That's the best any of us can hope for....
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Frog Whisperer
    The first year was brutal, neither one of us (Lace nor I) was going to give up control. I would call her and she would make a beeline the other direction so I had to keep her "tethered" in the yard. She became a digger, extraordinaire. She would lay on her side and dig 1 foot wide canals in the yard, 20, and 30 feet long, crisscrossing the yard. When it rained they would fill with water and she would wallow in the mud.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The first year was brutal, neither one of us (Lace nor I) was going to give up control. I would call her and she would make a beeline the other direction so I had to keep her "tethered" in the yard. She became a digger, extraordinaire. She would lay on her side and dig 1 foot wide canals in the yard, 20, and 30 feet long, crisscrossing the yard. When it rained they would fill with water and she would wallow in the mud.
    That's a good memory.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    What an awesome dog life you gave her. That's about all they can ask for, our pets. She was a good girl for sure.

Frog Whisperer
    I lost it......... I was vacuuming the rugs as not coming up with the cannister full of fur, my wife and the girls (grand daughters, 6 and 3) came in. The girls wanted to bury Lace's ashes and build a monument. I can't yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast