RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Sizing terminilogies in the cycling industry

You guys notice that the cycling industry uses the term "performance/sportive" to actually mean "relaxed" or "casual".

And then they use the term "pro" or "race" when they really want to describe a product that is truely "up there".

Mean while out in the real world, there are lots of older and overweight guys looking to cycling just to lose weight and stay healthy. These are the guys who go 14/15 mph at a very casual cadence.

I find it funny with the semi euphormism. I mean really, do we really need to artifically bolster people's egos up so bad that we're resorting to semantics?

Well just my Lounge thought for the day before I'll head out to do my 17 mph "pro" recovery ride.
    Last edited by aclinjury; 05-23-2013 at 11:25 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Just try not to murder any pets.

hold my beer n watch this
    Who you calling older and overweight, just because I was riding with the noobs last night at a blistering 11.9 MPH on my carbon race frame all decked out in my finest company jersey...oh wait. But my butt is not a cubit wide, so there.
    So no matter who you are, what you look like, or how far you think you are from your goal kit up and get started. Your friends are out there, waiting for you.

We have met the enemy...
    Whatever it takes to get people off the couch and onto a bike.

When I was young I sneered at the old, slow guys--and now I are one.

But I'm having the last laugh, because I'm still digging being on my bike long past the time when lots of people my age are doddering around and having trouble with stairs.

I don't care who sneers at me in my racer duds and slow pace.

I used to be fast. Now I don't care.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Moderatus Puisne
    Disclaimer: I'm in the bike industry.

This is something like wagons in the US. Car manufacturers will perform all kinds of horrible verbal gymnastics not to say "Station Wagon," and instead insert images about sporting activities. "Sportcombi," "Avant," "Cross sport," "Touring," and the like.

With regard to road bicycles:

Very roughly, it used to be that there were two kinds of road bicycles, "Touring" bicycles, and, "race" bicycles.

Nowadays, a "touring" bicycle has come to mean one which can be loaded down with panniers and taken on a multi-day tour.

"Racing," "race performance," "pro," and the like means bicycles which are the same shape, the same geometry, as professional bike racers might use. Sure, you can use them if you are old and fat, or never mean to race, but, this is not like your average joe buying a Ferrari for the freeway.

It is like buying an American Le Mans race car for highway use. I mean, sure, it has headlights and windshield wipers, but you get no radio, no sound deadening, no aircon, and steering so tight you'll end up in a ditch if you sneeze.

As more and more cyclists want to ride aggressively on the road who are not competitive athletes, the "endurance performance" segment of the market has been growing.

THIS is your Ferrari, your Grand Touring car -- still stiff, light, fast, sleek, but you get a few more amenities than the pure race machine. The head tube will be just a little higher, the chainstays that little bit longer, the seatstays a little more compliant. They are great for a type of event called a Cyclosportive, or, sportive -- aka fondo, gran fondo, etc.

These are not really races, but, they are fast, aggressive, fun events.

If we used a word like "comfort," which the industry did, when these bikes were first coming to market, their target buyers might pass them up, looking for higher performance, and, buyers who truly wanted a COMFORTABLE bicycle could be confused by the sporty machine they ended up with.

So, perhaps the jargon is not as awkward as one might think.