( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Smartphone enthusiasts, enquire within

So, the wife and I are looking at new phones. We're pretty happy with Verizon as our service, so we're not looking at changing that at all, and she's pretty much decided on a phone, but my nonpickiness has proven difficult thus far.

I'm currently on a Droid Turbo, and am happy with the performance and hardware. It takes sufficiently clear pictures for my needs, and beyond texting and talking, I use the phone for things like email, social media, and streaming podcasts.

My top choice is a Kyocera Dura Force, only available in Verizon stores, but nobody there seems to want to sell me that phone. They use excuses like "Oh, you won't be happy. Try this $900 iDevice instead."

I'm very intrigued by the Note 8, and the pen-like stylus, but I don't like the price tag so much.

The Google Pixel 2 fits nicely in my hand, and does everything I want it to, but I'm concerned with durability.

My concerns are with durability, as I work on ladders a lot and am kind of a klutz; longevity, as our Turbos have developed battery and charging issues; and privacy and security, which I realize is largely an illusion when you're talking about smart phones, but I'm the guy who turns off automatic anything, disables the GPS or location as much as possible, and only uses secure WiFi.

I've also been intrigued by the idea of an unlocked phone, but honestly have no idea where to begin with something like that.

Can any of you moreons shed some light on my situation?

Kthxbai
    -old fuji

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Galaxy S8 Active, though it's expensive and about to be superseded by S9 Active?

Also, "klutz" and "ladder" is a bad combination (works for property management company with ladder policy).

RoadBikeReview Member
    honestly I could probably live with most of the $200 smart phones out there today. Phones are that good. Would love to have a iPhone 10 or Pixel 2, but those prices make no sense to me at all. I am trucking along on an old iPhone 6s and it does more than I need it to do. albeit i like have my 65GB for storing a lot of apps and spotify tunes

For me, going unlocked with a discount plan has been a much better experience than some payment plan-scam. I'm now paying about $40cdn/mo (which is like $30usd/mo) for like 4GB data, with all the usual stuff, LTE, voicemail, etc. I've never come close to using up my data because my home internet provider has member-access Wifi all over the region in urban areas. When I travel to the US i get roaming w data for 10 days for like $15

interesting video from this guy who reviews all the phones, and often finds the $200 ones are plenty good enough, as are the 2 year old phones .... resulting in a global drop in sales of new phones
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kllbOrLfoo

eg like this $200 phone, which is apparently free from proprietary bloat that other cheap smartphones suffer from
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxLOfjaWRvw
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 1 Week Ago at 11:20 AM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Based on your needs, any smartphone will work, just get a good quality case (I am partial to otterbox cases.. practically indestructible).

Things to keep in mind. planned obsolescence. That is the name of the game. Many apps eventually stop supporting previous generations of devices through OS updates which won't install on said previous device (App requires version X, but your phone is stuck at version W and does not support X).

This applies to pretty much both Apple and Android devices.

Nice thing about Apple devices, slightly better security, as it is a more controlled environment, and the operating environment does not need to be built for dozens of different platforms. Apple also does a better job of policing it's app store, although the occasional malicious app does make it through. Short of hacking the phone though, it is impossible to sideload (outside of the app store) applications.

Android, while my preferred choice (even though I have an iPhone, work provides it) is Android, because I like to mess with things (which I am not allowed to do with my work phone, so I maintain a Galaxy S7 as my personal phone which I rarely use). But Andoid is very fractured, many device manufacturers customizing it heavily, and slipping in some nasty crap (yes ATT and Verizon, I am looking at you.. google Carrier IQ). It is also possible to easily sideload applications, which is fine if you know where your application came from, and you trust the source (XDA developers is a good place to find trusted sources, and no I am not referring to piracy, there are plenty of app developers who don't want to pay the app store tolls). This also means malicious software is more prevalent, and Google is not quite as good as Apple in policing the app store, as evidenced by the recent purge of 100's of malicious apps that had millions of installs before being caught. But with Android, you have more flexibility, especially if you like to tinker.

Master debator.
    Motorola Z2 Force edition on sale for $500. Similar to the Droid Turbo 2 with shatter-proof screen and command center, and good enough hardware and camera for a few years to come. My wife does not use any sort of screen protector or case and it's been just fine despite repeated drops and being carried in her pocket getting somewhat sweaty.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products...FUvGwAodiJ8Hsg
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Motorola Z2 Force edition on sale for $500. Similar to the Droid Turbo 2 with shatter-proof screen and command center, and good enough hardware and camera for a few years to come. My wife does not use any sort of screen protector or case and it's been just fine despite repeated drops and being carried in her pocket getting somewhat sweaty.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products...FUvGwAodiJ8Hsg
    Do you have any experience with the MotoMods? All the gadgets and extraneous paraphernalia that goes with that line?

Master debator.
    Not used one myself, but the projector is the one I'd get, it's pretty cool.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Not used one myself, but the projector is the one I'd get, it's pretty cool.
    Looks like there was a slide out keyboard available for the Z, but Motorola killed that particular attachment... bummer, because that would've guaranteed a sale to me.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Great thread.
    Last edited by Eretz; 3 Days Ago at 04:06 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    So, the wife and I are looking at new phones. We're pretty happy with Verizon as our service, so we're not looking at changing that at all, and she's pretty much decided on a phone, but my nonpickiness has proven difficult thus far.

I'm currently on a Droid Turbo, and am happy with the performance and hardware. It takes sufficiently clear pictures for my needs, and beyond texting and talking, I use the phone for things like email, social media, and streaming podcasts.

My top choice is a Kyocera Dura Force, only available in Verizon stores, but nobody there seems to want to sell me that phone. They use excuses like "Oh, you won't be happy. Try this $900 iDevice instead."

I'm very intrigued by the Note 8, and the pen-like stylus, but I don't like the price tag so much.

The Google Pixel 2 fits nicely in my hand, and does everything I want it to, but I'm concerned with durability.

My concerns are with durability, as I work on ladders a lot and am kind of a klutz; longevity, as our Turbos have developed battery and charging issues; and privacy and security, which I realize is largely an illusion when you're talking about smart phones, but I'm the guy who turns off automatic anything, disables the GPS or location as much as possible, and only uses secure WiFi.

I've also been intrigued by the idea of an unlocked phone, but honestly have no idea where to begin with something like that.

Can any of you moreons shed some light on my situation?

Kthxbai
    -old fuji

This does nothing.

Your carrier sells location data at an askance to basically anyone. You can turn location off as much as you want...but in about 15 seconds, the carrier can figure out where you are regardless-and can and will sell that data to anyone.

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/2...-location-data

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/10/t...forcement.html

WRT "privacy" and "security", on smartphones the quantity you have is best described as "none". The Pixel will get reliable updates and upgrades to the OS, the Samsung *might*, the Kyocera probably won't.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Sweet Potato Kugel

Hold that extra pixel

Good info
    Last edited by Eretz; 3 Days Ago at 04:01 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    This does nothing.

Your carrier sells location data at an askance to basically anyone. You can turn location off as much as you want...but in about 15 seconds, the carrier can figure out where you are regardless-and can and will sell that data to anyone.

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/2...-location-data

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/10/t...forcement.html

WRT "privacy" and "security", on smartphones the quantity you have is best described as "none". The Pixel will get reliable updates and upgrades to the OS, the Samsung *might*, the Kyocera probably won't.
    The location tracking is a given, based on exactly what was posted in your first article: your carrier always knows where you are based on network access, and that’s necessary to ensure you’re connected to the right towers. The reason I typically turn off location/GPS is to conserve my data plan.

My biggest concerns are with mitigating risk of data hacking or intrusion. The less personal information that's linked to my Google account, the less that hackers can access when Google gets hacked. That's why I don't necessarily want Google itself (Verizon is a given, as mentioned in the previous paragraph) to save/store my location and other personal data directly to my account. I've done the trendy Google audit when it was a fad a few weeks/month ago or so...the one where all of the clickbait articles said "YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT GOOGLE SAVES ABOUT YOU!!!!!" I completely believed everything linked to my Google account, simply because I made a conscious effort to filter what is or is not linked to that particular account...I knew literally everything that was on there.

Are there any options that are less bad WRT data/account linking and sharing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm in the same boat as you with a Droid Turbo 2 and the battery is starting to slowly decline. Also on Verizon and would like to stay there. The Samsung S8 Active is what I want to get, and I would love to get it unlocked, but I don't think Verizon supports any versions of that phone today.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Russian Troll Farmer
    I'm one of those who agrees with just buying a decent $200 smartphone (my cheap Samsung works just fine; bought it on discount at Costco), but one thing I've found is that you will pay more if you buy it at the physical store. Buy it from the webpage or through a discounter like Costco, and you'll get a better deal. In this day and age, almost anybody can transfer phones at home.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"