Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snowmagedden!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    And you guys in NJ were supposed to get hammered. DC was just north of the dividing line. The weather guys here were pissing their pants with excitement. It has been a dull winter for them. What was that movie about this perpetually depressed weather man working in Los Angeles where every day is the same?

Frankly, I'm happy. 8-12" would have kept me off the bike for weeks (I mostly commute on a MUT), and it's been such a good winter mileage wise.
    "LA Story" featured Steve Martin as the wacky weatherman doing the same forecast every day, who tapes the sunny and 80 degree forecast in advance so he can get away for the weekend. Of course, you know what happens - major storm.

Meanwhile here, after clearing the driveway this morning, it's never stopped and I'm off to do it again.

We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Use my Apps :)
    I usually hate all the hype. We even have a local CBS affiliate that always names storms when nobody else does just to hype them. The local weather guys have been hyping this storm for over a week. I have to say in my area (north central CT) they ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT. WE ARE GETTING HAMMERED! I have to give them credit this time. I can't imagine trying to get anywhere today with a normal passenger car and I like driving in snow. Already cleared the driveway once. Anticipate doing it at least 2 more times,
    "My Elevation" provides accurate elevation information on your Android device wherever you are or wherever you search. Accurate elevation, weather conditions and related Wikipedia data on just about anyplace on the planet!
    Get it on Google Play!

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Northwest philly burbs reporting here. We got about 3 inches of the most annoying mix of snow-sleet-ice-freezing rain I can remember.

I have a big, honking 2-stage snow blower with 6 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds.

The 3 inches of snowcrap we got is so dense and heavy, my snow blower is struggling, which means I'm wrestling it instead of guiding it.

3 or 4 feet of wrestling it forward takes off the top couple inches of snowcrap. Then I back up and hit the same 3 or 4 feet again before moving forward to the next fresh snowcrap.

Also, I have some elderly and disabled people living in my cul de sac, and I've always done their walks and driveways before I do my own.

Was out from 11:30 to 2:30. I'm inside now drying off and warming up, and havin' a beer or 3... before I go out and do one more driveway for the old guy up the street.

My son who is 16 made deals to do some shoveling for $20 per house. But this stuff is so tough, he should have "surge pricing" like uber.

And here's the kicker: it's snowing like hell again right now. And the temperature is falling to the teens later today, so anything that isn't moved will be 3 inches of solid ice.

I'm done with winter. Like, forever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Same here. I ended up using the snowblower as a scraper. I got a great upper body workout, though. I think the predicted 12" of snow would have been better. I always worry about losing power when we have ice

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Same here. I ended up using the snowblower as a scraper. I got a great upper body workout, though. I think the predicted 12" of snow would have been better. I always worry about losing power when we have ice
    Upper body workout indeed! My pecs and lats are on fire. Feels good now... but tomorrow might be kind of painful.

Anyway, I've had my warm up/dry off/therapeutic beers period. I'm suiting up to go back out and attack the old dude's driveway.

One saving grace doing driveways... once I cut a full-width path the length of the driveway, I can then just cut off 6-inch-width slices up and down the driveway, in 6th gear. Yeehah.

Also, after using a snowblower for the past 15 or so years, I discovered two things that keep the chute working instead of clogging:

1. Spray the inside of the chute with silicone spray. Some people use PAM.

2. Keep the augur and impeller running by holding down the left lever even when I'm not engaging the drive. For some reason, I always thought the left and right levers both did the same thing. Dumbass that I am.

I guess learning how to avoid constantly having to stop and clean the chute with the chute-cleaning tool... better late than never.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We got the snow. I heard Lake Placid got 3 feet so far. We will probable end up with about 20 inches. Mass pileup on the 401 in my area, I heard Interstate 81 pulled the transports off the highway. Wish Ontario would do that, many lives would have been saved over the years. They are the terrorists of the 401.
    Last edited by love4himies; 03-15-2017 at 06:40 AM.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    After at least 30 cm by yesterday evening, and we woke up to another 15 cm overnight. Should taper off this morning, as I give the blower it's third shift.

Poor doggie was up to his tackle in it just now and therefore reluctant to do his morning #1.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Seat's not level
    Seems all weather forecasters were raised where it never snowed, rained or had any significant weather of any kind. Any drop of precipitation, breeze or even a cloud puts them into a massive panic mode.

Panic is good for ratings though... Hmmmm
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Drivers stranded, schools closed as Quebec slammed with record-setting blizzard - Montreal - CBC News

Drivers have been left stranded on some highways, and many schools are closed after a record-setting winter storm pounded southern and central Quebec on Tuesday.

All public schools in Montreal and most other school boards in the province are shut. Many universities and daycares are also closed, while city buses are subject to delays.

Most flights at Trudeau airport are cancelled or delayed. Air Canada announced it would waive the fees to make alternate travel plans.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

half-fast
    Southeast PA.

Several inches of incredibly heavy slop.

I dug out a place for the dog to go, around my car, and paid a guy to plow the much too long driveway. Decadent, maybe, but I am glad I did.

This morning I can walk, sit, and stand.

We have met the enemy...
    We got somewhere between 18 and 20 inches, but we were right on the edge of warmer bands, so heavy snow, then sleet, then more snow. And then the temps dropped so everything froze last night.

Hard shoveling--crust, layers and heavy. Imma hurting.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

half-fast
    Didn't you just get your guts re-plumbed? Geez. Take it easy.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Didn't you just get your guts re-plumbed? Geez. Take it easy.
    Well, yeah....
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Troll-ish....
    Well, here in Rochester, I just finished clearing the last of about 25-30" of snow off my driveway. Thank goodness for snowblowers!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, here in Rochester, I just finished clearing the last of about 25-30" of snow off my driveway. Thank goodness for snowblowers!
    I would think in Rochester 25" of snow is called "Tuesday"

Troll-ish....
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I would think in Rochester 25" of snow is called "Tuesday"
    Normally, yes, but these last 2 winters have been very light on snow. I haven't been able to do an X-country skiing in the last 2 months, due to lack of snow. I guess I've got this weekend, but it's probably the last of the season....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12