Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowmagedden!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Snowmagedden!

The weather and news folks in the east seem to be losing their minds over the coming Nor'Easter. I guess because we've had a mild winter makes it all the more overblown. Based on the hysteria I am wondering if is was perhaps a Nor'Easter, not an asteroid, that wiped out the dinosaurs. I'll say my final goodbyes to RBR before I perish

RoadBikeReview Member
    15-20 cm forecast here in Niagara. I may be forced to break out the snowblower. Wish me luck.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member

If these stupid blizzards weren't so expensive to clear I'd just shrug.
    It's Mueller Time

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    We got 10-12cm between yesterday and today. We called it Monday.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I remember when Snowmaggedon was forecast here. Jim Cantore, from the Weather Channel, had camped out freezing his tuckus off at the NCAA stadium ALL DAY....and was regularly being interviewed.

It was kind of neat-after all Weather Channel dweebs like him never come here

And we got precisely 0" of snow out of that entire snow system. Cantore got to watch and report on a whole lot of nothing.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The weather and news folks in the east seem to be losing their minds over the coming Nor'Easter. I guess because we've had a mild winter makes it all the more overblown. Based on the hysteria I am wondering if is was perhaps a Nor'Easter, not an asteroid, that wiped out the dinosaurs. I'll say my final goodbyes to RBR before I perish
    Yeah, I get where you are coming from. But Nor'Easters can pile up huge amounts of snow in a short period of time, making things go from fine to barely passable in 2 hours. underselling bad weather leads to very bad outcomes compared to overselling, so they over sell. Plus it gets viewers. So we are going to see this over and over again, of that you can be sure.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I don't think it's the amount of snow, it's because a week ago it was 70 in NYC.

This after a really mild winter and we were all looking forward and ready for a nice spring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This crazy winter we've had in NYC means one thing: the upcoming summer will be brutal. We're talking drenched in sweat before you make it to the train car... deprived of all will to continue by the time you make it down to street level from your stoop... gasping for air with starved wide open airways... overheating because the ambient humidity short circuits your body's natural evaporative cooling processes... you get the point.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Just got back from a short ride. Sunny and about 44 when I started, snow flurries when I finished. Makes me feel gnarly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    I don't think it's the amount of snow, it's because a week ago it was 70 in NYC.

This after a really mild winter and we were all looking forward and ready for a nice spring.
    Agree, I had a few short-sleeve rides in February and was ready to put away the leg warmers and long finger gloves. The groundhog just updated his forecast to 6 more weeks of Zwift

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Yeah, I get where you are coming from. But Nor'Easters can pile up huge amounts of snow in a short period of time, making things go from fine to barely passable in 2 hours. underselling bad weather leads to very bad outcomes compared to overselling, so they over sell. Plus it gets viewers. So we are going to see this over and over again, of that you can be sure.
    Those in the Philly area might remember weatherman John Bolaris. In 2001 he famously hyped the "Storm of the Century" (coincidentally, it was sweeps week). When Philly got less than an inch of snow he received death threats. Someone actually peed on him in a bar. It cost him his job at the station. So, over-hyping can have a downside

RoadBikeReview Member
    When Cantore showed up in Battery Park the day before Hurricane Sandy, I figured it was just hype. We still left work early that day.

My father, who lives near the water, also figured it was overblown (ha.) Until he saw water coming in under the door His house was one of the few left standing on his block. We had no electricity for over a week IIRC.

Just a couple of days ago, it was like springtime. Now, I'm moving plants into the garage and we're skiing tomorrow (though I'm having doubts due to the predicted wind gusts.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Today I saw my first gopher and blue bird of the year. Also saw a bunch of baby antelope. It's got to be in the low 50s right now and should het 60 on Thursday.

I hope it doesn't screw up my weekend ski trip.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    When Cantore showed up in Battery Park the day before Hurricane Sandy, I figured it was just hype. We still left work early that day.

My father, who lives near the water, also figured it was overblown (ha.) Until he saw water coming in under the door His house was one of the few left standing on his block. We had no electricity for over a week IIRC.

Just a couple of days ago, it was like springtime. Now, I'm moving plants into the garage and we're skiing tomorrow (though I'm having doubts due to the predicted wind gusts.)
    When Cantore shows up in your town its time to leave!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Today I saw my first gopher and blue bird of the year. Also saw a bunch of baby antelope. It's got to be in the low 50s right now and should het 60 on Thursday.

I hope it doesn't screw up my weekend ski trip.
    We had a flock of robins in our yard on Saturday morning (PA). I hope they know how to build igloos.

Proud luddite
    We seem to be locked in a pattern of 90-degree days here in Tucson.....but the fake news liberal media chooses to ignore us!

RoadBikeReview Member
    We had 10 cm overnight with some more forecast throughout the day. Minus 7 C temp.

So, I'll be working this morning.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    In the midst of it here in Mass, and I was sick of hearing about it 3 days ago. It's winter, in New England, snow is expected. Deal. kthxbye.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nodima View Post
    In the midst of it here in Mass, and I was sick of hearing about it 3 days ago. It's winter, in New England, snow is expected. Deal. kthxbye.
    Here in south Jersey, Snowmagedden is a bust. We got some snow, some ice, and now rain. There will be no wear and tear on my snowblower today

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nodima View Post
    Here 10miles south of Albany NY, I'm really in the midst of it too. I was riding in both Jan and Feb. Might not get to ride the bike in March this year. That would be a first. I stare out the window and read the lounge.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It was a bust in DC. I live in the VA suburbs where more snow usually falls and we got maybe 2" (that's 5.08 cm for all you dorks on the metric system). It's cold and windy here. All the trees are blooming. The cherry blossoms are about half out. Pretty unheard of weather for mid March. We often get some snow in March, but not a whole week with highs in the 30's and lows in the low 20's. Especially painful after it was in the high 70's last week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, I was watching some of the news footage and, aside from a 20 car pile up in Chicago (probably due to ice), it didn't look like much of a storm. My dad sent a photo of his yard in PA and it looked pretty, but nothing worse than I remember from my days growing up there.

I just wonder if the weather guys will ever get tired of over-hyping every precipitation event. I always considered them to be the more scientific, no-nonsense branch of the news media but they've clearly strayed from that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Teaneck, NJ, where it is currently 32° and sleeting. They did such a good job scaring people that it's dead. No buses, nothing. Further east, this morning my apartment's promenade was bare and there were patches of black roadway.

It's Mueller Time

Matnlely Dregaend
    Screw Walgreens, I'd be at the Teaneck Road Hot Bagel place stuffing my face!

I miss Teaneck and the FDU dental school...

I will say that the winds are pretty crazy here right now (Montclair). Not that much snow, but it sounds like a sandblaster is being used on my house!
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    Teaneck, NJ, where it is currently 32° and sleeting. They did such a good job scaring people that it's dead. No buses, nothing. Further east, this morning my apartment's promenade was bare and there were patches of black roadway.[/IMG]
    And you guys in NJ were supposed to get hammered. DC was just north of the dividing line. The weather guys here were pissing their pants with excitement. It has been a dull winter for them. What was that movie about this perpetually depressed weather man working in Los Angeles where every day is the same?

Frankly, I'm happy. 8-12" would have kept me off the bike for weeks (I mostly commute on a MUT), and it's been such a good winter mileage wise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast