Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cheers

So, I Got My Medical MJ Card...

...and it seems to have been a good decision.

I suffer from some pretty serious insomnia, and lately it's gotten even worse. Tried to deal with it several ways, with limited success:

– Exercise (which I do anyway): It's helpful sleep-wise if I exercise in the morning, but if I 'miss my window', i.e. don't go to sleep the instant I feel sleepy that night (which sometimes I don't, due to having to get things done, or anxiety when I don't get things done), then I'm in for a VERY bad night. And if I work out late in the day, that usually makes the insomnia even worse.

– Melatonin: Is *great* at first, but I rapidly build up a tolerance and become all-but-invulnerable to it. Also often causes 'rebound', which is where it'll get me to sleep, but then I wake up again after 4 hours, and then cannot get back to sleep.

– Ambien: Was prescribed this by my trying-to-be-helpful doc, but bad call there, as it will rapidly make you 100% dependent on it to get to sleep at all, and will also make you more than a tad bit cray-cray. Srsly, this stuff should not even be legal, it's horrifying.

– Sleeping pills (Unisom, etc): They work, but they tear my stomach up something fierce, i.e. significant bleeding even when taking them with food... they're much worse than aspirin in this regard. Definitely not something you were ever meant to take often.

The medical MJ, OTOH, has been effective, with little downside so far.

You kind of have to go the consumables route here though, as normal inhaled MJ will leave your system after 2-3 hours (i.e. you'll 'rebound' and wake up in the middle of the night).

Consumables, OTOH, are sort of 'time release' and stay in your system a good 8-9 hours. Used to be that consumables were bad because it was hard to tell how strong they really were, but these have the exact amounts of THC they contain printed clearly on the front label, to the milligram. One annoyance, though, is that they take a long time to kick in.

But I'm pretty happy with the medical MJ so far. It's obviously *huge* when you can't sleep, so to have something that can treat that without the serious side effects and various bad issues of other treatments is muy bueno.

But, surely EVERYTHING has a side effect, yes? Well, with the consumables, if you take too much, you're gonna feel a little slow when you first wake up. So... don't take too much. That's what I do.

Getting my card was pretty easy too, but the dispensary I then went to after the doctor left me a little cold. Great products and variety, and very knowledgeable staff who could rattle off every last detail about their various strains, but when all the 'budtenders' are young cute girls who aren't dressed very conservatively, you kinda know who the place is catering to, and it's not the subset of folks who are actually using it medically.

Still think it should be fully legalized. Props to Colorado and Washington state, who've already done so.

This being teh Lownge, let the stoner jokes... commence!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SystemShock; 04-05-2013 at 03:32 AM.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: I kicked Lance in the nuts. Err, nut.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Kitty: ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its gonna be fun in PO after Election Day.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Eddy 53:11
    Wow. HIH.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

We have met the enemy...
    Dude....that's like , so AWESOME.

(And inquiring minds want to know--so you wake up with the munchies--or more so than usual?)
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Dude....that's like , so AWESOME.

(And inquiring minds want to know--so you wake up with the munchies--or more so than usual?)
    The consumables don't seem to have much of a 'munchie' effect... guess it's the slow release nature of 'em or something. Well, that and you're already eating a cookie or brownie or whatever has the THC in it.

Now, smoking the MJ... yeah, definitely munchies.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Platypius:

Pencil of death
    I have a couple of friends who went that route for chronic fatigue. They say it helped. Sounds like you did all the right stuff - tried everything else first, went through your Doctor.

Glad it helps.

Too bad your supplier isn't MLP from Weeds....
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Great. Jock sniffing is now foreign policy analysis. Awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I completely agree it should be 100% legal. Compared to the pharmaceutical cocktails out there, pot is a much better and natural alternative. I'm glad it's working for you.
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite

Master debator.
    Stoner. I have a CPAP mask connected to an air supply with a bud constantly smoldering throughout the night right at the air intake. I've slept through having my liver removed by angry ex girlfriends. I've also slept through having it put back in by a good friend with a Buck knife.
    Enjoy sleeping at night, rest is something most of us do not get enough of.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

waterproof*
    Glad you've finally got something that works for you

* posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    No stoner jokes here. I had a card before it was legal in WA state. Now that it is legal, I still get it from the same dispensary. The state still hasn't figured out a plan for dispensing it.

I still haven't gotten used to seeing people walking down the street smoking a joint. Pot has always been this thing done in secret. Now, it is just everywhere.

Misfit Toy
    A good friend of mine also uses it for sleep. Her daughter makes cookies, then breaks them up into nightly doses and puts them in one of those day of the week pill boxes. I've heard the honey infusions are pretty good for insomnia too.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for sharing your story. Your comment about the "hottie budtenders" is something that worries me. In MT, our fledgling MMJ industry was all but eviscerated by our conservative "representives" based primarily on how quickly the industry grew. When it came time for the repeal process/voting the dispenseries really didn't do themselves any favors by marketting themselves less as "pharmacies" and more as head shops.

Too slow to be smart
    Sep 2012
    Could this be what has stalled your weight loss process? Are you eating more carbs than before?

As someone who had and still has some trouble sleeping I hope this helps to actually aid in your weight loss and improve your life. No sleep=stress=bad workouts and weight gain.
    ”Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong” - Unknown

Get me to In&Out
    Quote Originally Posted by QED View Post
    The state still hasn't figured out a plan for dispensing it.
    They are likely trying to figure a way to do it without the Federal Government pulling state highway funding. This was how the fed strong armed the states into mandatory seatbelt laws and setting the drinking age at 21. Expect this to be the way Washington and Colorado never "figure it out". Wait for the first few kids who get busted with consumables at school too and you will see the novelty go away very fast.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Too slow to be smart
    Sep 2012
    You think kids don't get busted at school with pot already? I saw it happen pretty frequently when I was in HS from 2005-2008. I knew a guy who even went to school blazed every now and then.
    ”Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong” - Unknown

Get me to In&Out
    I realize they probably do. The minority who didn't vote for it in those states will use it to preach from though. With legalization comes proliferation though. The consumables are going to be the downfall in schools. Nobody has to smoke anything so you won't get caught as easy.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Used2Run View Post
    I knew a guy who even went to school blazed every now and then.
    I knew guys that did that anytime the day ended in "y". So................

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    I realize they probably do. The minority who didn't vote for it in those states will use it to preach from though. With legalization comes proliferation though. The consumables are going to be the downfall in schools. Nobody has to smoke anything so you won't get caught as easy.
    True, it's not as easy to get caught with consumables... but you can still get caught.

Unless they're made hopelessly weakly, consumables have enough THC in 'em that they, well... smell like pot. So will your breath a little bit after eating one.

Platypius:

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    A good friend of mine also uses it for sleep. Her daughter makes cookies, then breaks them up into nightly doses and puts them in one of those day of the week pill boxes.
    That's a pretty hip (and loving) family. Awesome.

Platypius:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    I knew guys that did that anytime the day ended in "y". So................
    ...and how is their band doing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good for you. What state are you living in? I am a Colorado patient and find pot to be a great medicine for lots of alignments. I use it for back pain, depression at times, insomnia, anxiety, and I enjoy it recreationally. I no longer have to take ibuprofen, muscle relaxers, anti depressants, sleeping pills, or anti anxiety meds. I find I am happier these days and am much healthier over all. I would not want to live in a state that would put a responsible adult in jail for such a wonderful plant.
    Buy the ticket, Take the Ride-HST

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
    Good for you. What state are you living in? I am a Colorado patient and find pot to be a great medicine for lots of alignments.
    California. Medical MJ is legal here but not regular usage.

Kudos on your state legalizing it, though I'm sure there's a lot of details still to be worked out, and the feds are still going to try to hassle recreational users no doubt.

Platypius:

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Used2Run View Post
    Could this be what has stalled your weight loss process? Are you eating more carbs than before?

As someone who had and still has some trouble sleeping I hope this helps to actually aid in your weight loss and improve your life. No sleep=stress=bad workouts and weight gain.
    Yup, one problem at a time bro.

Platypius:

Le Misérable
    What took you so long?? If I lived in Cali I would've been treating my potential glaucoma, back pain and insomnia for years.

I love visiting my buddy in SD. We get so high.

///ditto the weight loss concerns--smoking gives you the munchies, and eating it means you're eating something fatty enough to absorb THC, a fat soluble molecule. Beware.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibashii View Post
    What took you so long?? If I lived in Cali I would've been treating my potential glaucoma, back pain and insomnia for years.
    Oh, I had semi-consistent access to teh MJ long before the card. Heck, ppl sometimes use it as barter over here... I helped a friend of a friend move once, and he gave me a 1/4 ounce for my trouble (it was a BIG move, though).

But the dispensary I now go to is better. Walk in any day of the week if you need something, their stuff is very high quality, and they have tons and tons of consumables, which work better for my medical needs (i.e. sleep).

///ditto the weight loss concerns--smoking gives you the munchies, and eating it means you're eating something fatty enough to absorb THC, a fat soluble molecule. Beware.
    Not worried about eating fat so much, more about the carbs. Am switching consumables from cookies to chili lime peanuts.

Platypius:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: So, I Got My Medical MJ Card...

I think they are going to be much more selective in Nj. Insomnia won't cut it here.

But good for you and i too agree with Washington and Colorado.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast