Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Heh heh.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Oxtox again.

Check this out. It's a live stream from Starman's Tesla Roadster!

Pretty awesome. Reminds me of this:

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Right.

The "F" is for "Falcon".

Right.
    Well said.

Anyone who used to play Doom and used the BFG knows exactly what the 'F' stands for...

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Meh. I saw a Saturn 5 launch at Cape Kennedy once. From the video I saw of this launch, it wasn't half the spectacle. I guarantee you that all those people cheering, you wouldn't have been able to hear them over the roar of a Saturn 5-nozzle first stage (not to mention the vibration).
    Paging Buzz Killington...

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    The really big deal with the SpaceX stuff is how dramatically cheaper it is than old school rockets. A Saturn V launch cost over $1 Billion (inflation adjusted). Space X will do the same thing for 1/10th the cost.

The real barrier to getting to Mars isn't technology, but how crazy expensive getting that much stuff to escape velocity is. Get it cheaper, and Mars will become a reality.
    That is indeed a big part of it, and props to Space X for cutting launch costs dramatically. The old giant 'cartel-ish' aerospace companies not only really 'milked it' on launch costs, but they adamantly refused to innovate, for fear of making less money if they did.

They were very overdue to get shown up by an upstart like Musk.

But another key part of 'Why no Mars yet?' has been some unfortunate pork-barrel thinking over at NASA, plus a surprising conservatism/lack of innovation from them as well.

If you read up on the 1989 'Space Exploration Initiative' proposed by the H.W. Bush administration (which was all about a manned mission to Mars), it got sunk by excessive costs, i.e. Congress said "no effing way".

That happened because NASA insisted on using the manned Mars missions to justify a whole bunch of other stuff it 'wanted', but did not need, in order to get us to Mars. Stuff like very large orbiting space stations with spaceship construction drydocks, lunar bases, orbiting fuel depots, you name it. Adding hundreds of billions of dollars to the cost.

Then, ON TOP of that... NASA ignored some logical/obvious huge cost cutters, such as making the return-trip fuel on Mars by utilizing the carbon and oxygen in Mars' CO2 atmosphere.

This would've greatly reduced the size/mass of the spacecraft, and thus, the # of heavy-lift booster launches that would be necessary to do a manned mission to Mars. But, NASA was very much stuck in old-school groupthink, and couldn't conceive of doing anything particularly outside-the-box at the time (and maybe still can't).

The result of both the pork-barrel internal politics and the lack of innovation was that the 1989 proposal was costed out at $450 billion, or nearly $1 trillion in today's dollars. They also wanted to do it over the span of 20+ years, thus virtually guaranteeing massive cost overruns, and/or cancellation by some future administration (JFK, on the other hand, wisely set a firm 'by the end of the decade' date for the first Moon mission... and NASA met his goal).

All this pretty much made Bush's Mars proposal dead on arrival shortly after it was proposed, and we haven't really been serious about doing a manned mission to Mars since. Though many a President has made cute noises about it, without really committing the necessary money/tech/resources, or giving a firm date, a la JFK.

Worse, we're still stuck in the same kind of thinking on the pork-barrel side of things, after all these decades, and even after the obvious lesson of last time's failure.

Google the 'Deep Space Gateway' or the proposed lunar bases of recent years... none of which is needed to get us to Mars, even though they're massively expensive, and are being (falsely) justified as being necessary or even mandatory in order to get us to Mars.

Last edited by SystemShock; 02-08-2018 at 02:58 AM.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Cool stuff. I didn't get to watch it as it happened due to having to be at work but incredible even watching it after the fact. Plus, it made me smile when I saw this...

Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Pooped a refrigerator.
    How much do you want to bet the first Decepticon to reach Earth will be disguised as a Tesla Roadster?
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    So what is the big deal with 'MARS'? Just another red planet.
    BANNED

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    How much do you want to bet the first Decepticon to reach Earth will be disguised as a Tesla Roadster?
    I believe the aliens will think we're a race of mannequins and disguise themselves as walking, talking mannequins, in a tragically misguided effort to make us feel comfortable.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    https://www.livescience.com/61680-wi...-in-space.html

Radiation Will Tear Elon Musk's Rocket Car to Bits in a Year
    "All of the organics will be subjected to degradation by the various kinds of radiation that you will run into there," Carroll said.

Organics, in this case, doesn't mean the bits of the car that obviously came out of animals, like its leathers and fabrics. Instead, it includes all the plastics in the sportscar and even its carbon-fiber frame.

"[Those materials] are made up largely of carbon-carbon bonds and carbon-hydrogen bonds," Carroll said.

The energy of stellar radiation can cause those bonds to snap. And that can cause the car to fall to bits as effectively as if it were attacked with a knife.

A knife cuts those bonds in a straight line. But radiation will split them at random, causing organic materials from the leather seats to the rubber tires to the paints to — given a long enough time span — perhaps even the carbon fiber body to discolor, flake, and splinter away into space.

And under the harsh glare of the unshielded sun, Carroll said, that process could happen fast.

"Those organics, in that environment, I wouldn't give them a year," he said.

Materials with fewer bonds holding them together will disintegrate first, Carroll said. Anything hidden behind an inorganic (no carbon bonds) shield would last longer, though eventually even the plastic woven into the convertible's glass windshields would discolor and come apart. The sturdy carbon-fiber parts would likely be the last to go, he said, over a much longer span of time.

Eventually, the Roadster would likely be reduced to just its well-secured inorganic parts: the aluminum frame, internal metals and any glass parts that don't shatter under meteor impacts.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    There is a reason the 'man on the moon' costs so much. Most people would want to come back.
    BANNED

Avid smart-ass
    On a related note, has anyone checked to see if this guy is still on planet Earth?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch-thestig.jpg  
    2015 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon
    2015 Scott Solace 30

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12