Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch

pretty cool, looks like the launch went fairly flawlessly. lots of youtube vids available if you want to see it...

the booster landings were very synchronized.

waiting to see how the core fared as the video feed was lost.

a big day for Elon Musk and science nerds...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    I watched it live. My late in life love for science makes me wish I payed more attention in school.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Meh. I saw a Saturn 5 launch at Cape Kennedy once. From the video I saw of this launch, it wasn't half the spectacle. I guarantee you that all those people cheering, you wouldn't have been able to hear them over the roar of a Saturn 5-nozzle first stage (not to mention the vibration).
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    This is the biggest rocket since Saturn V , so second biggest ever. I was astounded to see the booster landing. Synchronized and nailed the accuracy. Amazing!

I appreciate the sense of humor too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Meh. I saw a Saturn 5 launch at Cape Kennedy once. From the video I saw of this launch, it wasn't half the spectacle. I guarantee you that all those people cheering, you wouldn't have been able to hear them over the roar of a Saturn 5-nozzle first stage (not to mention the vibration).
    you must be a real hit at parties.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thought it was awesome. Unbelievable technology and kudos to the super smart folks who made that happen. Now let’s see if the Tesla makes it to Saturn.

Neophyte
    The whole Tesla roadster part is amazing. It's a nice reminder that levity is a good thing.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    The whole Tesla roadster part is amazing. It's a nice reminder that levity is a good thing.
    wait until Musk realizes that he left his sunglasses in the glove box!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Being able to bring the one booster rocket back with such accuracy is awesome. Doing two of them side by side is just amazing.

Question - was there any payload in the rocket besides the car?
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not that I am aware of. I read this morning that the main booster was more powerful than anticipated and the cars orbit missed Mars and is now headed to the asteroid belt.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    I read that the next phase of the project is called “Big Falcon Rocket” - BFR. Awesome!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    very cool, but the big rocket may not be a financial success. since the project started the technology for satellites has changed with miniaturization speeding up there will be less need for super-sized rockets to be used as launch vehicles.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Early leader in Pic of the Year award
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch-1371ef36-edca-48a2-ad35-fa5afe755707.jpg  

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    you must be a real hit at parties.
    Heh heh.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Oxtox again.

Check this out. It's a live stream from Starman's Tesla Roadster!

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    very cool, but the big rocket may not be a financial success. since the project started the technology for satellites has changed with miniaturization speeding up there will be less need for super-sized rockets to be used as launch vehicles.
    don't be ridiculous, there is always going to be the need to launch cars to Mars, or the asteroid belt, whichever they mange to hit.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    I thought it was awesome. Unbelievable technology and kudos to the super smart folks who made that happen. Now let’s see if the Tesla makes it to Saturn.
    That is a long side trip.. they may have to stop and ask for directions to.. Mars which is where it is going.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    wait until Musk realizes that he left his sunglasses in the glove box!
    Knowing Musk.. he will probably start an entirely new company.. SpaceX Retrievel.. just to go get them..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, whoops. I laughed at myself on that one earlier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Depends on what the satellite is for, basic comms, tiny satellites are great.. anything with major optics and long life, and more than likely military applications, are typically larger. Also, he could launch 500 of those tiny satellites in a single launch at a much better cost ratio then multiple smaller launches for tiny satellites.

Also, keep in mind, his goal is not to launch satellites, it is to ferry people to far away places.. in which case, he succeeded (so far anyways) in his task.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Wonder where he got the idea to do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8l121LGlWU

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    So it's just a di*k measuring contest?
    So remind me..... could Saturn V land back on earth?

Where do you get that launching satellites is the measure for success? Space X already has rockets that do that. And it's very profitable.

Falcon Heavy's purpose is to supply the Space Station, go to the Moon, and go to Mars. That requires big payloads.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    One rocket can actually launch more than one satellite, so the fact that satellites are getting smaller doesn't necessarily mean a large payload vehicle isn't useful. This will make orbits like geostationary (very high) much cheaper. There's already a paid launch scheduled this summer.

And for those who weren't impress because the Saturn V was bigger, Space X is already on it. The BFR, which is already being constructed, will have a bigger payload than the Saturn V:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFR_(rocket)

The really big deal with the SpaceX stuff is how dramatically cheaper it is than old school rockets. A Saturn V launch cost over $1 Billion (inflation adjusted). Space X will do the same thing for 1/10th the cost. The real barrier to getting to Mars isn't technology, but how crazy expensive getting that much stuff to escape velocity is. Get it cheaper, and Mars will become a reality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I read that the next phase of the project is called “Big Falcon Rocket” - BFR. Awesome!
    Right.

The "F" is for "Falcon".

Right.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

RoadBikeReview Member
    The center stage did not land successfully. Two of the necessary three engines didn't light for the final descent burn, and it crashed into the water a few hundred feet from the ship, at 300 mph. The shrapnel damaged the ship, and Musk says he hopes the cameras survived so they can release the crash footage for the "blooper reel".

On the whole, a hugely successful first test of a new vehicle.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    One rocket can actually launch more than one satellite, so the fact that satellites are getting smaller doesn't necessarily mean a large payload vehicle isn't useful. This will make orbits like geostationary (very high) much cheaper. There's already a paid launch scheduled this summer.

And for those who weren't impress because the Saturn V was bigger, Space X is already on it. The BFR, which is already being constructed, will have a bigger payload than the Saturn V:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFR_(rocket)

The really big deal with the SpaceX stuff is how dramatically cheaper it is than old school rockets. A Saturn V launch cost over $1 Billion (inflation adjusted). Space X will do the same thing for 1/10th the cost. The real barrier to getting to Mars isn't technology, but how crazy expensive getting that much stuff to escape velocity is. Get it cheaper, and Mars will become a reality.
    Yeah but the Saturn V was really loud, so...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast