Failboat Captian

Speedgoat Rant (NNC related)

I posted a thread a couple of days ago about my torturous commute, and have decided that I need a new commuter. I'd like to just get a new frame.

Many years back (8-10) a buddy of mine spent a not so small fortune on a custom build up of an Ellsworth Truth (MTB for the uninitiated) through Speedgoat. He was all up about how they have this virtual fitting service on the web site that will get everything sized right for you. I played with it a bit for giggles back then and I thought it was pretty cool.

As all of the LBSs around me seem to be big shops that employ high school and college kids, I decided I start looking for a frame through the Speedgoat virtual fitting. The information they ask for has become a lot more detailed since I played with it all those years ago. It took me the better part of an hour to enter all the personal measurements and measurements for my current commuter. I also entered a bunch of info into a text box telling them what my issues were with my current bike. So I figured it would be able to give me a more specific set of measurements to look for in a new frame and components.

Apparently, I was wrong. What I got was an email from someone at Speedgoat asking me what I was looking for and a few questions about my riding background. I responded with a lot of what I had put into the web site. He just wrote back asking me what kind of bike I currently have and what size it is? REALLY??? So I responded that he already has all of that info and asking him what the point of entering all of that info into the web site. I guess it's just to make you feel like they are smart enough to do something with that info and be impressed with them (I'm not), so that they can email you and ask you what bike you'd like to buy from them.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to try to find a quality bike fitter spend a couple hundred bucks getting a fitting to help me buy a <$500 frame, but I may have to. How do you find a good bike fitter, as opposed to just someone who claims to know how to fit bikes? I relate this to boot fitting in the ski industry. Every ski shop will tell you that they do it, but finding someone who really knows their s#!t is difficult unless you know who to ask.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

waterproof*
    Dude, it's not that complicated. You can fit yourself with just the basic measurements and a bit of tweaking.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Failboat Captian
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Dude, it's not that complicated. You can fit yourself with just the basic measurements and a bit of tweaking.
    That's what I originally thought. But then why is it that I have to have my saddle nose-up, just to keep from sliding all the way to the front of it, and that my Brooks B17, with over 2000 miles on it and pushed forward, is rubbing me raw on an 18 mile commute?

I found the fit calculator on Competitive Cyclist, and the measurements it gives are almost right on with my current commuter frame, except that they want me more stretched out than I currently am.

I guess it seems that all I can do is keep playing with the geometry. I have enough parts, including a steerer tube extension, that I can probably get into a better position. I'm just tired of the pain and was hoping to learn something from a fit calculator that would help me either get my current setup correct or show me that I need a different frame.

I think I've just been in a bad mood since that last commute.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

n00bsauce
    Uh, lots of people have their saddle a bit nose up, like me. And maybe the Brooks is not the right saddle for that frame and your butt? Fitting is not a science, regardless of how many people try and make it one. It's personal. Even the best fitters using the most "scientific" methods will tweak stuff for weeks or months after you're fit, even change the fit as your riding style, fitness and age change. Too many variables to reduce to a formula. DIY is still a good method.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad View Post
    ...why is it that I have to have my saddle nose-up, just to keep from sliding all the way to the front of it, and that my Brooks B17, with over 2000 miles on it and pushed forward, is rubbing me raw on an 18 mile commute?
    I bet an experienced rider / fitter could spot what you're doing wrong, with about 2 seconds of looking at you on the bike.

But, just guessing: B17's are known for favoring a slight nose-up position, which is why they are reco'd for bars level with saddle, or higher.

The rubbing, who knows, could be lots of things.

Just remember to start a fitting with the feet, then use the saddle up/down fore/aft to get the knees in the right place over the pedals, then reach and elevation are last.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I think the speedgoat of 10-or almost 15 yrs ago is not the same as that of today. I remember back in the mid 90's I used to buy tons of mountain bike stuff from them. At that time they were based in Laughintown PA and it had the feeling of a very small shop with very nice, personalized service. I really liked their wheel builder back then
    I sort of lost touch with them, but I noticed it looks like they sold the name to a bigger shop in IL?