donuts?

star trek convention

went to my first star trek convention this past weekend... and i dressed up in a DS9 uniform (security of course).

i had fun and it was interesting to have people ask if they could get a photo with me. i was told i really looked the part.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

dog is my co-pilot
    Awesome. And my avatar approves of this thread.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Morticus: Discreet sex? Oh hell no, I want to high-five people as I walk down the hall.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day,it blew my teenage mind

waterproof*
    pix or it never happened
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
    went to my first star trek convention this past weekend... and i dressed up in a DS9 uniform (security of course).

i had fun and it was interesting to have people ask if they could get a photo with me. i was told i really looked the part.
    We need pics. Where are they?

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtor View Post
    We need pics. Where are they?
    on other people's devices. i think i can find one...
    -Steve

donuts?
    -Steve

off the back
    If you're gonna go as a Trekker, DS9 would be the correct choice. Best of the Star Trek franchises.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    If you're gonna go as a Trekker, DS9 would be the correct choice. Best of the Star Trek franchises.
    Disagree. Nothing tops the original series. I like my Star Trek with extra cheese.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

dog is my co-pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    Disagree. Nothing tops the original series. I like my Star Trek with extra cheese.
    And Shat provides that in spades.

My personal list would go something like this:

DS9 - Awesome, at least once Worf and O'Brien show up and the Dominion War starts. Not so great before that. In later seasons, probably took more chances and did the most to break out of the Star Trek 'formula' than any other series. In said later seasons, is probably the one ST series that ppl who don't like Star Trek might like. One of the key writers from it (Moore) went on to create the new Battlestar Galactica series.

Classic - Awesome, at least Seasons 1 and 2. Lots of episodes written/adapted from and by classic sci-fi writers. Nimoy was terrific. The final season (S3) was pretty bad though, the show was winding down and it really showed.

Next Gen - Awesome, starting around late Season 2. Sucked pretty hard b4 that, ppl forget that. Any episode with Riker clean-shaven is a red flag, 'cuz that's early Next Gen.

Voyager - A big plate of 'meh' until Jeri Ryan showed up and Kate Mulgrew FINALLY figured out how to play Capt. Janeway. The Borg-related episodes are good though.

Enterprise - Never got into it. Archer and T'Pol were about the only interesting characters. The writing was notably 'paint-by-numbers' in the few episodes I saw. Had a lot of promise as a 'raw' version of Star Trek during space's 'pioneering days', but the way they wrote it was rote Star Trek, not innovative at all.
    Last edited by SystemShock; 04-29-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Morticus: Discreet sex? Oh hell no, I want to high-five people as I walk down the hall.

Platypius:

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    And Shat provides that in spades.
    Yes he does.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
    Nerd! Just kidding. I'm a closet Trekkie. Never been to a convention. I admit I'm only familiar with the original series though. In the other series does the "red shirt" guy dies?

William Shatner SNL skit Get A Life 1986-12-20 by efly2020
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

dog is my co-pilot

That's a great (even iconic) SNL sketch, but I've always thought it ironic that Shatner would be dressing down Trekkies.

Why? Because Shatner goes to the conventions as a headliner and collects the $$$ while having this sourpuss look on his face like he hates being there. He also tends to cut his on-stage time at the conventions short. And also because he wouldn't have had nearly as big a career without Star Trek.

I'd agree that something like 20% of the crowd at an ST convention fits into the 'get a life' category, but there's a great many who do not. I even see married Trekkies bringing their kids quite often... they're just normal ppl who really like Star Trek.

Bottom line, Shatner's more than half a tool, and him ripping on Trekkies, i.e. the ppl who helped MAKE him, is pretty disingenuous.

I suspect on some level he never really 'got' the show, to him it was just another job, and the whole 'vision of a better future where mankind DIDN'T destroy themselves, where we all learned to come together and get along' -thing that Gene Roddenberry had just went over his head. Remember, ST originated at the height of the Cold War, just a few years after the Cuban Missile crisis. And during a period of intense racial strife in the USA as well.

It's still a very funny sketch though.

Last edited by SystemShock; 04-29-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Platypius:

Dr. Buzz Killington
    I was an outcast when I attended one of these conventions. I was one of six people that didn't live with their parents.

dog is my co-pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    I was an outcast when I attended one of these conventions. I was one of six people that didn't live with their parents.
    Stereotypes die hard.

Platypius: