pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Starting my fourth week with a fractured rib ...

I fractured a rib 20 some years ago in a bike accident and am reliving it. This time it wasn't a bike crash -- I fell on my icy driveway while retrieving an empty garbage can. I knew right off the bat that I'd hurt myself, but initially my shoulder hurt more. I was due to fly to Florida for a vacation with my family in a couple hours. I got on the plane and made it to Orlando. Once we got off, I was in a lot of pain. We made it to the hotel (Hard Rock in Universal Park), got the kids some pizza and headed to a clinic to get some pain medication. After three hours of waiting, getting x-rayed and watching sketchy people addicted to pain medication come in and try to get subscriptions, I left with a subscription for 20 tabs of fairly low grade pain meds. They did work OK, but it was a painful week. The worst is getting up in the morning. The maneuver to get out of bed was painful no matter what I did. Getting in and out of a car was painful. So three weeks and three days later, it still hurts -- maybe 3 out of 10 (it was a 9). It's been so cold in DC, I probably wouldn't have ridden to work anyway. Its tempting to ride on Thursday -- supposed to be in the 50's here, but I know I'll regret it.

Watch those icy driveways!

Non non normal
    Did you hear about the Dr. that was giving all his rib patients free tickets to the comedy club?

Ribs hurt. Get better.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Thank god I don't have a cold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I tend to sneeze readily, for minor reasons, and to sneeze multiple times when I do (I think it's a genetic proclivity; my father was the same). I cracked a rib (ice on the patio) a couple years ago. The first time I sneezed I almost passed out from the pain. Remarkably, after a couple more sneezes something in my subconscious brain learned to turn off the sneeze reflex, and I didn't sneeze again for a couple of months.

Hope you feel better soon. I'd stay off the bike for a few more weeks, personally.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Russian Troll Farmer
    On boxing Day, I went XC skiing....and promptly wiped-out and fell on my @$$. My coccyx has been sore for 2 friggin weeks now!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I fractured a rib 20 some years ago in a bike accident and am reliving it. This time it wasn't a bike crash -- I fell on my icy driveway while retrieving an empty garbage can. I knew right off the bat that I'd hurt myself, but initially my shoulder hurt more. I was due to fly to Florida for a vacation with my family in a couple hours. I got on the plane and made it to Orlando. Once we got off, I was in a lot of pain. We made it to the hotel (Hard Rock in Universal Park), got the kids some pizza and headed to a clinic to get some pain medication. After three hours of waiting, getting x-rayed and watching sketchy people addicted to pain medication come in and try to get subscriptions, I left with a subscription for 20 tabs of fairly low grade pain meds. They did work OK, but it was a painful week. The worst is getting up in the morning. The maneuver to get out of bed was painful no matter what I did. Getting in and out of a car was painful. So three weeks and three days later, it still hurts -- maybe 3 out of 10 (it was a 9). It's been so cold in DC, I probably wouldn't have ridden to work anyway. Its tempting to ride on Thursday -- supposed to be in the 50's here, but I know I'll regret it.

Watch those icy driveways!
    Unfortunately these things are a bit slow healing.

My cracked rib story. A couple of years ago as winter was coming, I decided I could keep in shape with some off-road riding. I bought a cheap Bikes Direct MTB and headed to a local state park. The park is mostly non-technical except for the Orange trail. Of course I make a wrong turn and end up on said Orange trail. There is a short but very steep downhill. Its Fall so the trail is covered with leaves. I start down cautiously. Front tire drops into a hidden rut and stops cold. Me and the rear end of the bike decide to keep going. Next thing, I am sailing through the air for what seems like a long time although it really wasn't. Hit the ground hard and felt the jab in the left ribs. At this point I had ridden this bike less than a mile! After realizing I wasn't dead, I got up and finished the ride, which become increasing painful. When I got home I took a nap. When I awoke, I was unable to get out of bed without my wife helping me. Off the bike for 6 weeks.

Fake President
    Worst part of this is, it's really gonna put a crimp in pmf's barfighting lifestyle.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    If they still hurt after about 2 weeks, likely a break.

Done it a few times, once a car accident, others on a bike.

It takes about 6 weeks to stop hurting a lot.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    If they still hurt after about 2 weeks, likely a break.

Done it a few times, once a car accident, others on a bike.

It takes about 6 weeks to stop hurting a lot.
    Seems like the last few days, it's been hurting more than it did last week. This morning was especially bad. No idea if it's the changing weather or maybe I slept funny. Not enough wine last night? Still, it's nothing like the first week where the pain was off the charts.

Boobies!
    Cracked ribs--fark. My friend and fellow sufferer used to say he would rather take a daily beating than have cracked ribs.

My last time, they hurt less--only because I managed to break some vertebrae at the same time...
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year oldís life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Four weeks tomorrow -- hurts in the morning the most. I must have fractured it in two places. It hurts near the sternum and also near my spine. It was in the mid 50's yesterday after two weeks of bitter cold. I badly wanted to ride into work, but passed. Been off the bike for over a month. I feel like a toad.

I make Eagles fly
    Broke 4 of them 11 years ago, took a long time to heal. The collapsed lung was also fun
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasmak View Post
    Broke 4 of them 11 years ago, took a long time to heal. The collapsed lung was also fun
    At least I didn't get that. I've never had a collapsed lung, but I'm guessing you know it when you do. Got an x-ray to make sure.

Proud luddite
    I wonder if your broken rib injured the alien in your stomach. You should get a scan to hopefully rule that out.

half-fast
    Four weeks tomorrow -- hurts in the morning the most. I must have fractured it in two places. It hurts near the sternum and also near my spine. It was in the mid 50's yesterday after two weeks of bitter cold. I badly wanted to ride into work, but passed. Been off the bike for over a month. I feel like a toad.
    You should stay away from those two places.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Seems like the last few days, it's been hurting more than it did last week. This morning was especially bad. No idea if it's the changing weather or maybe I slept funny. Not enough wine last night? Still, it's nothing like the first week where the pain was off the charts.
    As the pain subsides you start to do more and move more, thus all that activity catches up with you.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Did you hear about the Dr. that was giving all his rib patients free tickets to the comedy club?

Ribs hurt. Get better.
    That was cold.... Congrats!

No sh! T
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I tend to sneeze readily, for minor reasons, and to sneeze multiple times when I do (I think it's a genetic proclivity; my father was the same). I cracked a rib (ice on the patio) a couple years ago. The first time I sneezed I almost passed out from the pain. Remarkably, after a couple more sneezes something in my subconscious brain learned to turn off the sneeze reflex, and I didn't sneeze again for a couple of months.

Hope you feel better soon. I'd stay off the bike for a few more weeks, personally.
    Moral of that story is DON'T SNEEZE, "
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

I make Eagles fly
    At least I didn't get that. I've never had a collapsed lung, but I'm guessing you know it when you do. Got an x-ray to make sure.
    Just short on breath, felt like the wind was knocked out of me. Was not even a concern when I went to the hospital, I figured I had cracked ribs; was more concerned about the separated shoulder and broken clavical.

Walked into the ER, got vitals taken, place went kinda crazy. I noticed the change in climate, but they didnít tell me jack. Finally asked what was going on, they said ď this is for you ď kinda knew something was really odd at that point. Finally talked to the Dr, I figured my shoulder was screwed and he responded with ď I donít even care about your shoulder, your lung is collapsedĒ that is the point I knew.

Btw, chest tubes suck.
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I feel for ya... Iíve done it twice. Most recently accelerating crossovers through a left turn while speedskating. I hit on my elbow and thatís what did it. So I broke my own rib. Seemed like it took forever to heal. 4 weeks of doing nothing and it still was holding me back. Like you (and others) have said, everything you do hurts it. Every motion, heck, when itís fresh it feels like thinking makes it hurt more. I was practicing with my team and managed to finish the workout. I had an hour + ride home and it got super bad on the drive. That drive sucked so bad... All I can say is go easy. It takes forever but you can set yourself back without trying. Good luck! At least you are mostly through it!!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    I feel for ya... Iíve done it twice. Most recently accelerating crossovers through a left turn while speedskating. I hit on my elbow and thatís what did it. So I broke my own rib. Seemed like it took forever to heal. 4 weeks of doing nothing and it still was holding me back. Like you (and others) have said, everything you do hurts it. Every motion, heck, when itís fresh it feels like thinking makes it hurt more. I was practicing with my team and managed to finish the workout. I had an hour + ride home and it got super bad on the drive. That drive sucked so bad... All I can say is go easy. It takes forever but you can set yourself back without trying. Good luck! At least you are mostly through it!!
    Speedskating looks like a blast. What is your take? The closest I have come to the sport is watching on tv.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Speedskating looks like a blast. What is your take? The closest I have come to the sport is watching on tv.
    I did in-line speed for years. I love it. But I mostly cycle now. Great sport, but the group to train with was so small and so spread out. Itís also hell on your feet. Iíd hold around 14mph avg speed with sprints over 20. Itís finicky, you need a good smooth surface, low traffic, etc, I used MUTs. I spent a lot of winter in the squat cage and doing plyos. Unlike the bike, there arenít really easygoing skates. So many small things can put you on the ground. I still have no idea what got in my wheels when I did the rib.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    I bruised several ribs in a harsh mtb crash about 25 years ago. One thing I remember clearly is how bad they hurt for several months afterward. Couldnt put any weight on my chest at all without immediate pain. I would think actual broken ribs would take quite a while to stop feeling tender. Hang in there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    When I was getting my follow-up x-rays after breaking my scapula, the radiologist found evidence of two old rib fractures that had long since healed. I guess at some point I broke those ribs and never went to the doctor or even knew they were broken...