We have met the enemy...

Strip House and sell kitchen, appliances etc for cash?

A friend's construction company is redeveloping, and they have a perfectly good house from which they are trying to recoup some cash.

If i get involved, does a % of sales seem like a decent form of compensation, and if so, how much?

The plan is for some weekends with a Craigslist ad or two, hopefully people will remove the stuff they want, but I think we will have to do some ourselves to minimize damage. I would be doing this with my neighbour who works for the construction company, who would also be trying to make a little extra money.
    "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." Reinhold Niebuhr

waterproof*
    sure, why not?

get it in writing.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

half-fast
    run away.

do i read this right, in that you intend to have strangers wander in and demo portions of the building?

this sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Back from the dead
    The only way this would make sense from a business perspective is for you to pay a flat rate for the contents of the house. You get it all out and put it somewhere, and then you sell all it off over time. But you'll need to have the space to store all the stuff, and the time to deal with all the yahoos who want to buy it off Craigslist. I just can't see this as being worth the time and effort. If you did it on a large scale (lots of houses), it makes sense. But one house? No way. You'll end up with a lot of crap no one wants, including you. And you probably won't make that much money anyway.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    run away.

do i read this right, in that you intend to have strangers wander in and demo portions of the building?

this sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    Yeah, I had the same concerns. I thought we could mitigate this by removing stuff--but then that starts to sound like serious work.

Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair View Post
    The only way this would make sense from a business perspective is for you to pay a flat rate for the contents of the house. You get it all out and put it somewhere, and then you sell all it off over time. But you'll need to have the space to store all the stuff, and the time to deal with all the yahoos who want to buy it off Craigslist. I just can't see this as being worth the time and effort. If you did it on a large scale (lots of houses), it makes sense. But one house? No way. You'll end up with a lot of crap no one wants, including you. And you probably won't make that much money anyway.
    You have reminded my about the hell that can be Craigslist...

The last CL ad I saw was a similar project in Long Island--and as I think about it, he had his ad running for weeks.

I don't think there is a rush to try to get the house stripped in a hurry; OTOH, I'm not keen on sitting over in some house waiting for Craigslist foolz to show or not as the spirit moves them, and the house is not close enough that I can pop over to complete a sale or two, a and get back to my own stuff.

Thanks guys.
    "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." Reinhold Niebuhr

half-fast
    I take things out of places all the time, and most of the time can't hardly give it away.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    I take things out of places all the time, and most of the time can't hardly give it away.
    Interesting. The market for used kitchens is doing pretty well here--partly because the 1%-ers rip out perfectly good kitchens that are the wrong color, and redo them--and the rest of us who need to remodel are shopping used. But the guys that remove and resell for charity are doing it the right way, since they can store and wait for the right customer to show up.

Used windows and doors seem to sell well--same thing--either through the recyclers or the direct charity guys like the Habitat store.

Used plumbing is a hard sell--but I managed to give away a nice cast iron tub that we removed that some first-time renovator was delighted to get.

I think I'm going to recommend the owner donate the stuff and get the tax write off--less work for me, or maybe I'll do some dismantling in return for first dibs on things that I need,

half-fast
    1%-er kitchen cabinets are a lot nicer than p-lam office storage, so you might have a little better luck.

Habitat gives a slip stating what you gave for the tax man. Plus you get to feel all warm -n- fuzzy inside.

We have met the enemy...
    Thought I would update this for my imaginary friends.

We were able to sell the kitchen and most of the fixtures, plumbing and a lot of the doors and windows. Also some trim and built-ins. It took me about an hour a day on Craigslist for responding to emails--and I sacrificed a few Saturdays and let my own projects languish.

Some annoyances with people grabbing stuff on the sly, & not paying for it, but also some great conversations with guys (and gals) trying to 'get 'er done' on a budget.

All in though we should almost break $20k with the last sales--and I will probably donate some stuff to teh local used building supply place.

Best of all--I got slate/bluestone for my own house, along with belgian block and brick pavers--all of which will be put to use on my own house this fall, weather permitting.

And I have some cash in my pocket too.

half-fast
    So you did all right, then. Good. Cash is good.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Best of all--I got slate/bluestone for my own house, along with belgian block and brick pavers--all of which will be put to use on my own house this fall, weather permitting.

And I have some cash in my pocket too.
    Very good. Have you ever thought of starting a business offering renovators an opportunity to sell what they're ripping out or demolishing? It's not as far fetched as it seems. There is such a thing as an "estate sale." You could call it "A Second Home-Goods ."

I'll send my lawyer over to get the paper work started.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Did this on a small scale when we remodeled our kitchen. I sold the old cabinets, appliances and sink on CL and gave away all the broken stuff. We didn't make mutch but the cash came in handy for trips to the Home Depot and eating out, plus we didn't have to pay to have it removed.