RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

Stubbed toe!!!! Whats the scoop???

Hey guys I stubbed my toe today during a basketball game,... Everything I'm reading seems to indicate that this will take a WHILE to heal... But I have really been doing great with my fitness to try to drop weight waking up early to jog and ride my bike eating better.... I don't want this to set me back as far as doing activity... When can expect to get full mobility of my "foot" (nevermind) the toe... I want to be able to still jog ride my etc....

I've signed up for a tough mudder event in Ocotober that I have been looking forward to... Will I be ok by then?????

Thanks guys... I'm flipping out

It does NOT look or feel broken... In barely even swollen just the black nail thing going...
    Kestrel Evoke
    Cannondale R1000

~~Where are all the friendly cyclists?~~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Walk it off, son. Walk it off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Amputate...use a staple gun to close the stump...good to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Really? a stubbed toe?? I thought those hurt like a beeotch for about two minutes, then went away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Paralizer View Post
    Amputate...use a staple gun to close the stump...good to go.
    Also sound advice. You're going to want to use some superglue and a soldering iron as well. Keeps the bleeding to a minimum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Really? a stubbed toe?? I thought those hurt like a beeotch for about two minutes, then went away.
    Yea those do.. That is like level 3 of toe stubbing,in that same category this about a 8.... Black toe... I'm reading that my nail will fall off eventually a new one will grow in... I'm reading that could be months... My question is how long before I can do some physical activity again... I want to continue my exercising... I know everyone is different but I want a ball park figure..
    Kestrel Evoke
    Cannondale R1000

~~Where are all the friendly cyclists?~~

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by R1000 View Post
    Yea those do.. That is like level 3 of toe stubbing,in that same category this about a 8.... Black toe... I'm reading that my nail will fall off eventually a new one will grow in... I'm reading that could be months... My question is how long before I can do some physical activity again... I want to continue my exercising... I know everyone is different but I want a ball park figure..
    As soon as it doesn't hurt. You don't need a toenail to ride a bike...
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Which toe? Nothing displaced?

If it's fractured it could be up to 8 weeks for heavy sports. Otherwise just wait till point tenderness goes away and start lightly.

If it was me, I'd get it x-rayed at my primary doc.
    Dictated but not read.

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I know everyone is different but I want a ball park figure..
    You're in the wrong place for a straight answer. And that is a straight answer.
    Ken
    Ladonna Batiste-Williams: I married a goddam musician, Aint no way to make that $#!↑ right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yikes, that is brutal. Wish I could tell you, though I tend to think Snap's armchair diagnosis sounds about right.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Instant relief

black toe nail indicates that blood has pooled under the nail. Get a sewing needle, heat it up with a cig lighter, (it's gonna get real hot so figure out a way to hold w/o burning your fingers) and when the needle glows red hot, burn a hole thru the nail in the center of the black spot. Pull the needle out and then press on the nail until the blood/fluid build up starts flowing. I've done this many times and once had it shooting in the air like a geyser. Little to no pain with this procedure, just make sure everything is sterile.

By the way, turf toe or stubbed toe ended Jack Lambert's career as a pro football player.

have droids, will party
    I'd say keep riding. If it turns gangrenous, amputate. Then get back on the bike. They way I see it, you'll be saving weight by getting rid of extraneous body parts.

n00bsauce
    Htfu...!
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    See movie "Lost in Translation" for all questions regarding black toe...and yes wrong crowd for straight answers.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Hey! Where's that Lounge sympathy? If multi-million $$$ per season pro athletes can take a month or two off for a stubbed toe, surely we can let this guy get away with a 50-miler today instead of the usually required 100.

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    He obviously died overnight.

RIP.
    Dictated but not read.

Cap'n of Industry
    Well if you didn't die overnight... HTFU. It sucks for while. I had a big black toe after kicking a pallet at work during some shop shenanigans. I had ridden to work and rode home. It was hell for few days and after that it just sucked. Riding was problem free in a week or so. Nail came off in maybe a month and was sore for a few days around the time I cut it free.

Avoid running if it is causing you to compensate or run in irregular manner. Changing your running form is going to slow you down at best and injury is much more likely.