Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subaru Dying?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Since you live in MA, the big question is: How much rust do you have?
    Nothing visible on panels, definitely some rust underneath though. Actually, it looks pretty good for 8 New England winters.

Frog Whisperer
    there is a big difference between auto repairs and auto maintenance. What you describe is maintenance.

My rule of thumb is, if a car cost's more than payments (and insurance difference for brand new) for 3 months running, it MIGHT be time for a replacement. BUT, only if you are buying NEW. If you are buying used, you might just bett better off with "the devil you know"
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    You should probably stop driving the car or you may make matters worse. If a head gasket is bad the coolant could be leaking into the cylinders and down into the crank case. Check your oil, see if it's getting muddy brown looking. No sense blowing the engine over a bad head gasket, its fixable now but if you keep driving it things will get worse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Got rid of my Forester few years ago,it had 140.000 kms on it and it's been a pain in the butt since day one. The last 2 workshop bills came out at 800 Euro each just 3 months away from each other. Get rid of it and buy a Toyota.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Got rid of my Forester few years ago,it had 140.000 kms on it and it's been a pain in the butt since day one. The last 2 workshop bills came out at 800 Euro each just 3 months away from each other. Get rid of it and buy a Toyota.
    We had a similar experience with an outback (2006ish). Got to point of $1000 repair bills every couple months (boot failures, ignition system issues, transmission vibration that was never fixed, A/C leaks, etc.). Cut the cord on it. A newer car was a known payment amount with no unexpected repair bills.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Closure: Found out the new Subaru dealer near us is fantastic. Called Friday Night, had an appt to drop it off Sat AM. Did so, and were given a 2018 Outback for a rental.

They had the car fixed and waiting Tuesday night, ended up doing a bit more preventative maintenance, T-stat, water pump, and a fan, but all of that is great, as the cooling system is now effectively redone. Ended up around $1800 all in, and don't feel bad about it. The mechanic did have a funny comment about the fan installation done by the other mechanic, which was "I would not have installed it that way...but it will work" No idea what the other guy did, but I think this dealership will see more of our business in the future.

At this point, we'll drive it for another couple years it seems.

Interesting how little difference there is/was between the 2010 and the 2018. Most of the change seemed to be in the infotainment system, and location of e brake. Otherwise, pretty much exactly the same as what we have. Given 8 years of body style, they must be about ready for an update.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nodima View Post

Interesting how little difference there is/was between the 2010 and the 2018. Most of the change seemed to be in the infotainment system, and location of e brake. Otherwise, pretty much exactly the same as what we have. Given 8 years of body style, they must be about ready for an update.
    I thought that a couple of years ago they made the Outback body taller, with seemingly less floor space behind the passenger seat (in order to increase leg room for the rear seats). I know that the body is taller (important to a short person who likes roof racks), but am not sure about the length of the cargo deck.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Most of the change seemed to be in the infotainment system, and location of e brake. Otherwise, pretty much exactly the same as what we have. Given 8 years of body style, they must be about ready for an update.
    There's a bunch else different and given the complaints about the '17 and '18 Infotainment units, you are likely better off with the older. The "biggy" on the 18's is when you turn the head unit off, it powers back on in whatever mode you last used, at whatever volume you had playing, when you start the car.again This is driving people nuts, no pun intended and is a hot topic on the SubaruOutback.org forum. Only current work around is to manually dial down the volume knob to zero before shutting down.

And as BTW, $1800 for the HG and add'l work is cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    I thought that a couple of years ago they made the Outback body taller, with seemingly less floor space behind the passenger seat (in order to increase leg room for the rear seats). I know that the body is taller (important to a short person who likes roof racks), but am not sure about the length of the cargo deck.
    Nope. Same thing. Just wheels, facia of bumpers/fog lights and infotainment center. think 2019 04 2020 new design
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    We had a 2013 Mercedes GL450 at 90k everything started to crap out after $6500 in repairs in 9 months my wife had enough.

Traded it in for a 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6liter and my wife could not be happier I've got a 2013 WRX STI after ringland failure and spun rod bearing at 30k I chose to replace engine with a turnkey rebuilt 400+ hp (at the wheels) beast the smile I get when I severely punk Porsche owners in cars that cost 4X what mine does makes it the best $25K I ever spent.

Subarus are an investment treat it as such.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    And as BTW, $1800 for the HG and add'l work is cheap.
    Rear brake job on a Volkswagen late model is around $600 at the dealership. A job I can do in my garage for $120, including brake bleeding and refurbishment of ALL parts. So yeah. That's an excellent price. Indeed.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Low rep power
    The money I'm not spending on a new car is going into the new boat fund. Just sayin' ;-)
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Only current work around is to manually dial down the volume knob to zero before shutting down.
    Just like the old days - i.e. like every car my wife and I have ever owned until getting our (OK, her) VW Alltrack. We sure do get spoiled quickly.

That said, I do agree that the infotainment system in my Crosstrek sucks. It's not so much the need to manually turn down the volume as it is the painfully slow response of ANY function it has. The real problem with the lack of an auto-volume reduction function is that there's about 20 second lag after turning the key when you CAN NOT turn down the volume.

Want to search for a different artist on your ipod using the infotainment system? You better be parked.

Otherwise, a fun little car so far but definitely not in the same league as the Alltrack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Just like the old days - i.e. like every car my wife and I have ever owned until getting our (OK, her) VW Alltrack. We sure do get spoiled quickly.

That said, I do agree that the infotainment system in my Crosstrek sucks. It's not so much the need to manually turn down the volume as it is the painfully slow response of ANY function it has. The real problem with the lack of an auto-volume reduction function is that there's about 20 second lag after turning the key when you CAN NOT turn down the volume.

Want to search for a different artist on your ipod using the infotainment system? You better be parked.

Otherwise, a fun little car so far but definitely not in the same league as the Alltrack.
    This is a problem across the board for all vehicle manufacturers. Keep in mind that it takes around 3 to 5 years to introduce a new model of vehicle. The technology in the car released to day, based on how quickly technology outpaces itself, is pretty much ancient by the time the car is released for sale, and will appear to be considerably slower and outdated than what you are used to. Electronics in cars have to withstand a lot more abuse from heat and cold than regular electronics (every look at the specs for most things and you will see a temp and humidity range for them).

It would be nice if the manufacturers stopped putting in proprietary infotainment units that are hard linked to the other subsystems of a car to make them easy to replace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    This is a problem across the board for all vehicle manufacturers.
    No it's not. The stereo in our 2017 VW displays NONE of the response lag or glitches that our 2018 Crosstrek does and neither do any of the stereos in my friend's cars as far as I've noticed.

I expect (hope for) Suby to release a software update at some time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    Subarus are an investment treat it as such.
    like ice cream is an investment. tasty, but it's melting fast and gone once used up. like all cars are. A handy consumable item.

ie the opposite of an investment.

I like Subarus. I was surprised that at the ride quality of a 2015 outback I tested .. not too far off the ride quality of my air suspended E550. Too bad their stereos are abominable though! kinda the main reason I keep my merc (oh and 4.3s 0-60)
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
    Nope. Same thing. Just wheels, facia of bumpers/fog lights and infotainment center. think 2019 04 2020 new design
    'cept the biggest difference - that it appears a manual transmission is no longer available in US. A big plus for keeping the 2010.

It does sound like a redesign coming for 2020.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    'cept the biggest difference - that it appears a manual transmission is no longer available in US. A big plus for keeping the 2010.

I have a CVT Crosstrek XV and was really against the [auto - anything] coming from only manuals. I can testify that the CVT not only gets better fuel mileage but it actually rolls at lower rpm at speed. Never an issue, ever. The daughters have a 5-sp, same year and make but roll at considerable amount more RPM at highway speeds then our CVT. Don't underestimate it.

Just a side note.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I have a CVT Crosstrek XV and was really against the [auto - anything] coming from only manuals. I can testify that the CVT not only gets better fuel mileage but it actually rolls at lower rpm at speed. Never an issue, ever. The daughters have a 5-sp, same year and make but roll at considerable amount more RPM at highway speeds then our CVT. Don't underestimate it.

Just a side note.
    Thanks, that is good info. We noticed the CVT because we did not notice the CVT on the loaner car. Not against an automatic, but still like having the stick. Finally had to succumb to technology a couple years ago when replacing my truck, and it has been fine. How do you like the Crosstrek?

RoadBikeReview Member

Yeah but CVT and paddle shifts are great.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    like ice cream is an investment. tasty, but it's melting fast and gone once used up. like all cars are. A handy consumable item.

ie the opposite of an investment.

I like Subarus. I was surprised that at the ride quality of a 2015 outback I tested .. not too far off the ride quality of my air suspended E550. Too bad their stereos are abominable though! kinda the main reason I keep my merc (oh and 4.3s 0-60)
    I hade the base stereo in a 2011 and it was one of the worst I ever had. Only my 2004 Explorer was worse. (best 1991 Honda Civic (alpine)).
    Pulled it out and OEM speakers too.
    DIRT BOY

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Thanks, that is good info. We noticed the CVT because we did not notice the CVT on the loaner car. Not against an automatic, but still like having the stick. Finally had to succumb to technology a couple years ago when replacing my truck, and it has been fine. How do you like the Crosstrek?
    Overall, it has taken a few winters of lake effect snow to appreciate it. I would never do all seasons in the winters up here. We'd go weeks never breaking daytime single digit °F. Greasy icy roadways.
    Last edited by Eretz; 05-21-2018 at 02:48 AM.
    -

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Too long.
    Last edited by Eretz; 05-21-2018 at 02:50 AM.
    -

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Thought I's drop in a doggie foto.

Last edited by Eretz; 05-21-2018 at 02:51 AM.
    -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12