RoadBikeReview Member

Sure-fire method for preventing your dog marking on "his" territory...

that really isn't his- like backyard BBQ grilles and patio furniture. Well, I gotta relay the story of 12 year old Jack Russell. It is long story so if you want to just get to the remedy, fast forward (scroll) to the ending (last paragraph).

It started when we (my ex-wife and I) used to live in Oak Park/Agoura Hills, CA back in 1997 to 2002. We had a house that didn't have access to the tiny backyard so we had to put the garbage cans in the garage. We got two puppies, a Jack Russell and a Basenji. My JRT, Bogie, was house trained but I could never get him to stop his pissing on the trash cans- no matter what I did!! Rubbing his nose in it, spanking his bottom, hosing him and the cans down with water- NOTHING WORKED. It was extremely frustrating having to hose down the entire garage after a weeks worth of dried, sticky, gooey dog piss. We had to live with it but felt fortunate he didn't piss on other things. Fast forward to 2002, during the divorce in and along the way of going our separate ways, I boarded both of my dogs at a rescue for almost 5 years. I finally took the dogs back when I decided to move from SoCal to Boulder (new future wife was getting her PHD at CU). After acclimating my dogs to the new house in Boulder things were great for a long time. Then one night, I forgot to take out the doggie door slide so they were stuck in the house all night. Bogie would normally go out at least once a night to relieve himself. Since he couldn't go out, he decided to relieve himself on my brand new $1000 Denon Reciever for my home theater system. It was like an avalanche after that- pissing on the sofa, walls, beds, my son's toys!!! It was AAAAALL his stuff in his mind!! Had to deal with it- cleaning up all his mess all the time. Cut to present day and now in the new house in Lake Oswego, OR. We decide not to let the dogs have free run of the house. Free-range of the large backyard and sometimes access to the garage through a doggie door I installed. No sooner had we moved in, Bogie starts marking on the nice Vermont Castings BBQ grille and outdoor patio furniture. Even got a couple shots inside the garage too when I wasn't looking!! It had been going on for 2 months now and finally decided to do what I thought about doing to my garbage cans in the first house.

After staying up all night drinking lots of Full Sail and Fat Tire, I being the Alpha "dog" of the pack, decided to piss on my BBQ grille!! I figured with the way dogs think and behave, he won't try to mark on "my" territory once I marked it as such! Well it's been 3 whole days and not a mark on the grill!! I know it sounds a little premature after only 3 days declaring victory, but you gotta understand, this dog did it EVERY day!! Without FAIL!! I think this qualifies as a huge success!!! I just hope I won't have to resort to pissing on my furniture and stuff in the garage!! My Colnago sure would be pissed at me!!
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

Anti-Hero
    first.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Honey Smack!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    first.
    in a number 1 thread.

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Wow. Just wow.
    Dictated but not read.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    first.
    Huh? You lost me.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

corning my own beef
    as I read this....

... I'm marking my office chair.

coincidence? I think not...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
    I'd be pizzed!

You're Not the Boss of Me
    I think the dog is posting in a forum somewhere about how fear of his little tinkle caused his owners to pee all over stuff. Jus' sayin.
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy