Thread: Sweet Revenge?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Sweet Revenge?

Hi,

I just got ripped off on an Ebay deal from a bloke in the UK. Sold me "unmarked" Cinelli bar and stem that were bent, gouges, filed from crashes etc.. Seller refuses to acknowledge the damage but I "won" the resolution from Ebay and they will pay me back upon shipping.

I'll still be out $30 and a headache of dealign with this guy. Since he his so convinced these bars and stem are immaculate and I got the deal of the century I figure perhaps I should declare their value to about...$399? I assume he would then have to pay a customs charge...right?

Come to think of it according to the seller these bars and stem are in the upper 5% of ALL available Cinelli bars and stems in the world. I have seen Ebay auctions of some of the finest aske several hundred dollars and still not be of the quality he is convinced of.

I'm not sure how customs works but if I say they are worth $400-$1000 does that put a sting on him?

I know...very diabolical.....[insert mad scientist laugh here]

Or am I just being a jerk...

Thanks,

Simon Barsinister

Uw zadel is niet waterpas
    What would The Dalai lama do?

That's right: He would take the moral high road and not repay a lie with a lie.

Hai.
    I'm not entirely convinced that OP is the Dalai Lama though.

FWIW, I wouldn't bother raising the item's price to get the other guy screwed up with customs. I would go through the eBay claims process, leave him some negative feedback, and be glad it only took me $30 to learn all about deals of the century on the internet.
    Man up, dumb down, and do one gear.

/AYHSMB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced that OP is the Dalai Lama though.

FWIW, I wouldn't bother raising the item's price to get the other guy screwed up with customs. I would go through the eBay claims process, leave him some negative feedback, and be glad it only took me $30 to learn all about deals of the century on the internet.
    Unfortunately the guy is slick. In our dealings he brought up FB and when I left negative he evidently convinced EBay I did so to leverage an outcome. So it was removed.

I get the Dalai Lama deal. I feel semi guilty for considering it but I have to declare a value and I'm seriously unsure what they are worth. All I
    have is the sellers word that I am delusional and the items pristine.

Perhaps I should contact the seller. He would be forced to declare their real value and EBay may compensate me.

Hmmmm

W

Hai.
    Quote Originally Posted by warrena View Post
    I have to declare a value and I'm seriously unsure what they are worth.
    Try to find an MSRP for a comparable bar/stem from Cinelli if the seller marked them as "new" or similar condition. Adjust the price accordingly if the seller noted that they were used.
    Man up, dumb down, and do one gear.

/AYHSMB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Seller's Continuing deception..

Not that I am looking for justification to ream him but as I was packing the item his customs tag says $50, about 1/2 of what I paid and far below his estimate of actual value!

How can he sit there and argue extreme value deny there are any blemishes what so ever and then say the value is only $50?

The actual value may be about $50 at the high end when buying in person, a drunk person who never rode a bike...

Sorry I'm just venting now but this seems like such a great idea, that if he thinks these are worth hundreds of dollars let him pay the duty and try to sell them for that much.

If he had once said he may have over valued them and misrepresented accidently this thread would not exist. But he has been dishonest and manipulative since day one.

The question is do I pay a role in this....Not sure yet...

W

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Not that I am looking for justification to ream him but as I was packing the item his customs tag says $50, about 1/2 of what I paid and far below his estimate of actual value!

How can he sit there and argue extreme value deny there are any blemishes what so ever and then say the value is only $50?
    Because sellers sometimes do that to save the buyer a few bucks on duties when shipping to another country. I don't because the item can't be insured for more than it's declared value... but some do.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

still shedding season
    his customs tag says $50
    I think that's your answer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    Because sellers sometimes do that to save the buyer a few bucks on duties when shipping to another country. I don't because the item can't be insured for more than it's declared value... but some do.
    Well nothing this guy has done has been for my benefit.

BTW I half expect him to pop up here as he was stalking me on some forums where I was attempting to learn how to deal with the situation.

Scary thing...this guy has 1400 100% positive feedback score! He's like the best ebay has to offer! Yikes!

W

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kykr13 View Post
    I think that's your answer.
    So I don't lie to pay back a lie but I do lie to save a liar some cash...

There is some very odd logic going on here and I only take credit for half of it!

W

BTW I I just wanted to make sure he pays out of pocket to somebody the $30 shipping any clues as to how much I should declare the value? As I said based on his description I have seen equal on ebay for close to $400, minimum $200 and those appear to have honest descriptions about blemishes etc...

W

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Well nothing this guy has done has been for my benefit.
    There's nothing the seller stood to gain by declaring a lower value. Declaring a customs value lower than the sale price is illegal. I don't think you trying to inflate the customs value will do anything at all. The seller has documentation of the sale and ebay's decision on the matter so they can prove it's a return item, not a purchase or gift. They won't have to pay duties.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I am a noob and speak only as an old man with lots of life experience and little else to offer. Send them back at his value, write off the $30 and forget the whole thing. In the long run you will cause yourself more grief and stress than it is worth trying to pay him back.

I swear I have lived long enough to know that someone else will pay him back at some point for you. A cheat always gets cheated eventually. The last thing you want is to get into any kind of a beef that involves you sending letters to Customs trying to explain your stated value after a complaint or allegation of fraud from this guy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last edited by elcameron; 08-26-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    You can not plan sincerity; you have to make it up on the spot.

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weston View Post
    I swear I have lived long enough to know that someone else will pay him back at some point for you. A cheat always gets cheated eventually.
    ^^this^^

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Getting Away with it...?

Ok

Enough of of the faux eastern philosophy Lama nonsense.

I prefer the western philosophy of:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

I always thought "karma" a kinda CS way of just not getting involved.

Face it we're already involved with each other. I send this back and the seller will resell with he same description and someone else is ripped off.

Seller said these are worth 95% of the price of the best Cinelli stem and bars available. That will be posted on the customs slip.

I'll be pricing the best available and posting the value as 95% of that.

Thanks,

W

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I "won" the resolution from Ebay and they will pay me back upon shipping.

perhaps I should declare their value to about...$399? I assume he would then have to pay a customs charge...right?
    Ebay will pay you back upon shipping? Or upon delivery?

If it's upon delivery, and the seller doesn't pay the customs charge, you won't get your refund since the package won't be delivered..

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Seller said these are worth 95% of the price of the best Cinelli stem and bars available. That will be posted on the customs slip.

I'll be pricing the best available and posting the value as 95% of that.

Thanks,

W
    You can write that it's worth $5,000,000, a giraffe and 2 nights with Charlize Theron if that makes you happy but he's still not going to have to pay duties on a return item.
    - 10ae1203

Master debator.
    This is why I go to the LBS and pay them $30 extra. I can fondle the goods before I pay them, and if it breaks the exchange process is much easier. Plus if they rip me off, I know exactly where to leave the flaming sack of dog poop.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Upon shipping!

Called and confirmed.

W

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Ebay will pay you back upon shipping? Or upon delivery?

If it's upon delivery, and the seller doesn't pay the customs charge, you won't get your refund since the package won't be delivered..
    BTW This was huge concern as what incentive is for there to accept a return? Ebay is not going to investigate why it never got delivered.

I think some of you may be thinking this is a simple mistake by a well meaning seller and I assure you it is simply a case of fraud.

No doubt.

W

Uw zadel is niet waterpas
    BTW This was huge concern as what incentive is for there to accept a return? Ebay is not going to investigate why it never got delivered.

I think some of you may be thinking this is a simple mistake by a well meaning seller and I assure you it is simply a case of fraud.

No doubt.

W
    No one doubts it's fraud. We just don't want you attempting get him back with a jacked up price or something and then wind up in legal trouble.

Just bill him/e-bay for what you paid.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aindreas View Post
    No one doubts it's fraud. We just don't want you attempting get him back with a jacked up price or something and then wind up in legal trouble.
    It's not even that for me. I'm just trying to explain to him that the scheme is useless because there will be no duties charged on the returned item.

- 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Haha! I couldn't do it!

Ha!

I had every intension of trying this "trick" but when asked at the PO I could only tell the truth, I placed value on every dime I sunk into it, $129.

I guess it boils down to if I want to partake in this behavior in the world. It's obviously a planet full of liars and thieves and we often think those must be the rules.

Once I sent it I really don't even care if I get the money back (not too much anyway!). I did everything as required and am done with the matter.

Interestingly the statement on my resolution page at Ebay stated refund upon "shipping". I called and confirmed this but when I entered the final information it brought up another link stating "refund upon delivery". Of course Ebay who has been shoving the letter of the law in my face over and over on this deal back tracked and said "sorry but that's how it works" when the letter of the law deviated from their advantage....

I will think twice before I ever use Ebay again....

Oh yea Finally I went to a used bike shop and found the exact bars in actually almost new condition for $5!!!!!! I guess I should feel blessed I live in a place where we aren't particularly starving for vintage bike parts as the poor bloke in the UK must be claiming bent and gouged is as good as it gets.

Adios!

W

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Too late to the thread since you've already shipped it back but you could have shoved the bars a few inches up your @ss and then have a buddy take a picture of it. Ship the bars back and then a few months down the road after you have your refund arrives, e-mail him the picture. Obviously this idea is dependant on your feeling towards shoving foreign objects in your @ss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by idris icabod View Post
    Too late to the thread since you've already shipped it back but you could have shoved the bars a few inches up your @ss and then have a buddy take a picture of it. Ship the bars back and then a few months down the road after you have your refund arrives, e-mail him the picture. Obviously this idea is dependant on your feeling towards shoving foreign objects in your @ss.
    Sounds like you probably have a gallery of such images, I'll let you know if I need one...

I think I'm done here....Yikes,

W