Cowboy up

TdF bike rental Lyon

Some friends are interested in seeing a few stages of the tour and they are considering the bicycle touring idea. Do you know of any places in Lyon for bicycle rentals? Another option is day trips from a hotel in Lyon or Grenoble. They are coming into France from Italy.

I've looked through some of the rental threads but didn't see anything on Lyon specifically.

Thanks!

"El Bwana"
    Ibashi is in Lyon.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

waterproof*
    this thread pertains to my interests.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Cowboy up
    Fly to Paris
    Bring or buy a bike and a map
    Put a sammich in a backback
    Take a train to the border with Belgium
    Pedal
    Last edited by Art853; 07-10-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Cowboy up
    I'll throw some Euro pennies at Ibashii's window. I was just in Lyon for the first time via train Paris to Toulouse.

I also suggested my friends would be able to move around by asking people for rides between stages. Just look for the Norwegians with Viking helmets on and they would be happy to give them a lift I'm sure. I think it would be more fun that way, staying along the course where all the people are, rather than returning to a city base each night.

Le MisÚrable
    The place to look first is Cycles Veran, a good LBS just north of downtown on the west bank of the Sa˘ne. I've heard the guy who's usually working there speak a reasonable sort of English. They'll rent you a good bike for a nice price, but not pedals or shoes.

My regular LBS is Sodicycle and I think they rent as well, but it's not in a convenient part of town for visitors. That, and the people who work there are suspect in many ways.

If anyone 's staying in a particular part of town--Lyon is bigger than one might think--I could direct them to the place closest to where they are staying. There are decent bike stores all over the metro area.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

Cowboy up
    Thanks Ibashii. I sent your recommendations to my friends. I hope you are able to catch a stage this year.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Bringing this thread back to life - I'm going to Lyon from approximately the 3rd - 10th of June. Unfortunately this is mostly a business trip but I think I'll get one full day and parts of others to explore a bit. The Cycles Veran shop mentioned above looks like a good place. Wondering if anyone has some fairly recent experience riding around Lyon?

Eddy 53:11
    Rent one of those city bikes with a credit card and ride that damn thing on the TDF route. Post pics and we'll love it!
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I may! Just found out I'll be in Dublin the week before so I'm going to try to ride a day or two there if anyone has any experience with that area.