Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Fred the Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II View Post
    I was amazed how many were walking the hills last year.
    What is this "walking the hills" of which you speak?

I don't have the numbers that Bulldozer posted, but I am on track to be ready. I'm following the RAGBRAI training schedule. I was a week ahead of the planned schedule until this week.

This week was not one of those stellar weeks for me. I did get some exercise in, but not so much on the bike.
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

Diphthong
    Quote Originally Posted by rider9 View Post
    What is this "walking the hills" of which you speak?

I don't have the numbers that Bulldozer posted, but I am on track to be ready. I'm following the RAGBRAI training schedule. I was a week ahead of the planned schedule until this week.

This week was not one of those stellar weeks for me. I did get some exercise in, but not so much on the bike.
    My wife has 22 miles in training. I think she's counting on me to carry us all the way across Iowa on the tandem. That's not gonna happen.
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.

Born to chase Ducks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
    My wife has 22 miles in training. I think she's counting on me to carry us all the way across Iowa on the tandem. That's not gonna happen.
    If she pedals on the downhills, does that count? 'Cause you know it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I cannot decide whether the seafoam green Lounge kit is cursed or a suit of armor that protects us...like a lycra St. Christopher's medal.

RoadBikeReview Member

Wristband Numbers

161602! I'm in. Check yours on the registration page if you have not yet received email notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    The problem is I don't know how hard my wood is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    well, riding reduces my homicidal urges, so it's beneficial in that regard.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by stelvio1925 View Post
    161602! I'm in. Check yours on the registration page if you have not yet received email notice.
    Yup...Team Lounge will be sliding in to Sioux Center this July.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Born to chase Ducks
    Yup...Team Lounge will be sliding in to Sioux Center this July.
    LOL! So, where is the "clothing-optional" waterslide this year?!
    I cannot decide whether the seafoam green Lounge kit is cursed or a suit of armor that protects us...like a lycra St. Christopher's medal.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Don4 View Post
    LOL! So, where is the "clothing-optional" waterslide this year?!
    Whichever one comes after the strong $3 Wild Turkey and Cokes.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Diphthong
    Whichever one comes after the strong $3 Wild Turkey and Cokes.
    That was such a good day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got in with my group too. First time for me. Should be interesting. Hopefully I run into Team Lounge during the week!

Diphthong
    Post here if you plan to use a charter service this year. I've pretty much decided to use the Out of State charter service.

One option has the charter pick you up in the ending town the Friday before and then bus you to the beginning town the next day. This probably makes sense for people on the east side of the state. The other option is to get bused back to the beginning town at the end of the week. This make sense for those of us coming from the west. The other option is to just use the RAGBRAI services and work out your own transportation.

Post up and let me know what service you plan to use, especially if you're using the OOS charter.

Shirtcocker
    Post here if you plan to use a charter service this year. I've pretty much decided to use the Out of State charter service.

One option has the charter pick you up in the ending town the Friday before and then bus you to the beginning town the next day. This probably makes sense for people on the east side of the state. The other option is to get bused back to the beginning town at the end of the week. This make sense for those of us coming from the west. The other option is to just use the RAGBRAI services and work out your own transportation.

Post up and let me know what service you plan to use, especially if you're using the OOS charter.
    Probably OOS for me also. Is there a way to sign up as a group?

We should probably talk about transportation to and from Iowa. Are you planning to drive this year? If so, could I hitch a ride?

BTW...picked up one of these for the Subaru...works as a tandem and a single bike rack.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mounts-0.../dp/B0014WKN5U

Diphthong
    Probably OOS for me also. Is there a way to sign up as a group?

We should probably talk about transportation to and from Iowa. Are you planning to drive this year? If so, could I hitch a ride?

BTW...picked up one of these for the Subaru...works as a tandem and a single bike rack.

Amazon.com: Tandem Mount R4: Sports & Outdoors
    We can sign up as a group but that just gets us on the same bus.

I will be driving this year but via KC to drop off my daughter at her grandma's house. You're welcome to join us. We would leave the Friday before and drive to KC, stay the night and then drive to Sioux Center on Saturday (5 hours?). We would do the same on the way back home too: drive to KC, stay the night and finish the next day.

When I bought the tandem it came with a very similar Yakima rack. I did have to buy some brackets for it but now it will fit the Subie.

Shirtcocker

I will be driving this year but via KC to drop off my daughter at her grandma's house. You're welcome to join us. We would leave the Friday before and drive to KC, stay the night and then drive to Sioux Center on Saturday (5 hours?). We would do the same on the way back home too: drive to KC, stay the night and finish the next day.

When I bought the tandem it came with a very similar Yakima rack. I did have to buy some brackets for it but now it will fit the Subie.
    I may just do that. I'd probably have to stay the night somewhere on the way back anyway even if I drove. Don't think anyone else is coming out from CO or the West coast this year or am I wrong?

Born to chase Ducks

I'm planning on signing up with the OOS charter as well. Should I just do it? I'm signing up for another ride tonight, and I guess I might as well spend all my money at once, rather than drag it out!

Also, I will be driving in from Michigan, but haven't sorted out the rest of the logistics yet.

Oh, and 191 miles in so far.

Diphthong
    I may just do that. I'd probably have to stay the night somewhere on the way back anyway even if I drove. Don't think anyone else is coming out from CO or the West coast this year or am I wrong?
    I'm not aware of anyone coming from out west this year besides us. I assume MarkS will do the same thing again this year. We may be picking him up in Omaha.

I know that going through KC adds time to our drive but we won't have to pay for hotels.

Fred the Clydesdale
    I plan to sign up with OOS. I did get my wrist band number.

Woohoo!
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

Go Blue
    I'm not aware of anyone coming from out west this year besides us. I assume MarkS will do the same thing again this year. We may be picking him up in Omaha.

I know that going through KC adds time to our drive but we won't have to pay for hotels.
    If you could pick me up in Omaha, that would be great. I arrive at the Omaha airport around 10:30 a.m. on Saturday. I can hang out somewhere in Omaha until you arrive. (If Henry Porter still is in town, perhaps we can have lunch again.) I am flying out of Chicago on the following Sunday. If I can get a ride to Chicago with someone at the end, that would be great. Otherwise, one of my daughters will come from Chicago to pick me up at the end.

I will ship my bike directly to and from RAGBRAi, so I will not need transportation for my bike.

I will sign up with whatever charter service others are doing. Just let me know where I sign up.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It will be Brancel again for me and SKline1.

Diphthong
    First ride on the RAGBRAI tandem was cut short by a malfunctioning front derailleur. I need to get this thing in shape soon and get some miles on it.

Shirtcocker
    First ride on the RAGBRAI tandem was cut short by a malfunctioning front derailleur. I need to get this thing in shape soon and get some miles on it.
    Ours is finally getting dialed in. We did another 30 this morning after I tightened up the timing chain a bit. Back gears still seem a bit wonky in some combos, but I think it may just be a limitation of the 8 speed setup. It just isn't as precise as my 10 speed double.

Thinking I need to swap saddles also--the Terry Fly that was on it does not work for my butt.

Frog Whisperer
    Ours is finally getting dialed in. We did another 30 this morning after I tightened up the timing chain a bit. Back gears still seem a bit wonky in some combos, but I think it may just be a limitation of the 8 speed setup. It just isn't as precise as my 10 speed double.

Thinking I need to swap saddles also--the Terry Fly that was on it does not work for my butt.
    pssst....you ever try a Brooks......LOL
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Born to chase Ducks
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Why yes, yes I have...and after 77 miles or so, I think the relationship is going to work out...but it's too early to tell!

Born to chase Ducks
    The '83 Trek 560 I built up is all sorted out mechanically -- pending the aforementioned mating of my ass to the Brooks saddle.

I'm happy with the gearing, too. The standard 53-39 crankset with the 12-29 cassette gives me almost compact gearing. In any case, it's close enough for me after trying it on some hills this weekend.

Now, I just have to overcome the single set of water bottle braze-ons, cause one just isn't going to cut it for me.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Don4 View Post
    The '83 Trek 560 I built up is all sorted out mechanically -- pending the aforementioned mating of my ass to the Brooks saddle.

I'm happy with the gearing, too. The standard 53-39 crankset with the 12-29 cassette gives me almost compact gearing. In any case, it's close enough for me after trying it on some hills this weekend.

Now, I just have to overcome the single set of water bottle braze-ons, cause one just isn't going to cut it for me.
    camelback
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Gonna throw on an SLR I have lying around first. Might actually get one of those Velo Orange Swallow copies--for $80 they are a lot cheaper than Brooks.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast