Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

tell me of La Jolla..

its a bit unnerving to have to ask this question, but what do y'all know about La Jolla, San Diego? There's a small chance I may have to relocate for work. I hear its pricey to say the least (but I would suspect my pay would be commensurate).

will know more in the coming months.

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    its a bit unnerving to have to ask this question, but what do y'all know about La Jolla, San Diego? There's a small chance I may have to relocate for work. I hear its pricey to say the least (but I would suspect my pay would be commensurate).

My neighbor had a house there, and I'd ask her, but ever since my tree fell on her fence, she's not been speaking to me.

It is expensive, and beautiful. I can barely afford to visit. Median home prices are just under a million bucks.

It's also the home to this:

Mount Soledad cross controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beautiful place, coastal town, beaches, cliffs above the beaches; higher-end than the beach communities south toward S.D., i.e. Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, etc., but worth it. Fantastic area.

Back from the dead
    The only thing I can offer is that it is pronounced "La Hoya."

Genitive Declensioner

Awesome if you can afford to live in La Jolla proper, that said, any where along the coastal strip is great. If you like being able to ride year 'round, go to the beach and the mountains in the same weekend / (day if you're ambitious) this is your kind of place. Of course I've been here most my life so I'm biased.
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Mehpic
    if you're only working in la jolla, there's a bunch of other local cities with much more affordable housing and not that long a commute. just a fyi.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

Proud luddite
    Living here in Tucson, I'm always jealous of the weather in San Diego/La Cholla. Seems like it's 70-80 degrees year round, maybe with a few days of cooler or warmer weather, but mostly perfect. Winters here are great but of course things SUCK in the summer.

For what it's worth, I was born in San Diego but haven't returned since my family moved away 44 years ago. It was probably a nice place for a baby to be but I don't remember it very well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cflyr View Post
    if you're only working in la jolla, there's a bunch of other local cities with much more affordable housing and not that long a commute. just a fyi.
    definitely could not afford (or even want to try to afford) living in La Jolla proper....I hope I don' t have to make a decision since it'll probably come down to my career vs. the miss's career paths (and she just started a new one).

Proud luddite
    definitely could not afford (or even want to try to afford) living in La Jolla proper....I hope I don' t have to make a decision since it'll probably come down to my career vs. the miss's career paths (and she just started a new one).
    If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Just sayin'...

your text here
    i spent a day in lajolla and have been thinking about it since. its expensive to live and visit, but there are lots of places near there where you can commute.

i heart the left coast. if i could live in sandiego or the pacific northwest i would be a happy man.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Mehpic
    also, SD county is a little more mass transit and bike friendly than places immediately north (OC, LAco, etc), so you've got that going for you. O-side, Carlsbad or Solana are likely to be much less $.

PM me if/when you're getting serious- i have an aunt who is a real estate agent in SD Co.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

Devoid of all flim-flam
    La Jolla -- expensive, conservative, hoity-toity, pretty but not mind-bogglingly so. In all, though, you could do much, much worse than relocate to the area. Along with Vancouver, San Diego is one my two favorite West Coast cities. I like it much more than L.A., SF, or Seattle.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member

thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by 2cflyr View Post
    also, SD county is a little more mass transit and bike friendly than places immediately north (OC, LAco, etc), so you've got that going for you. O-side, Carlsbad or Solana are likely to be much less $.

PM me if/when you're getting serious- i have an aunt who is a real estate agent in SD Co.
    I'll keep this in mind. We'd probably have to rent for the first few months and check out some area locales. LIke I said, I hope this doesn't become an issue, I like the PNW quite a bit currently.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Gorgeous place. A 45 minute commute will get you more affordable housing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    i went to UCSD, which is in La Jolla and lived in that area for around 10 years, like everyone says you don't have to live in la jolla proper, there's cheaper housing if you drive south or east -not north- like everyone said, everything is pristine and gorgeous and expensive and yes it's conservative... I like pacific beach which is immediately south of La Jolla, lots of younger people and more of a beach town

overall you can't go wrong, especially if you have a solid job, i worked in biotech for a while there

as far as bike routes I was not into road bikes back then but there are paths going north along the coast

Not Banned
    I lived in La Jolla many times.
    At the shores, in Bird Rock. It's as beautiful place as you can imagine. Your job better pay fat bank cause you won't find a home under 700K (and that would be for a small place). Condos cheaper in the area east of I -5. Homes cheaper in PB. La Jolla's downfall is it is difficult getting in and out. You have 1 road out to the North East, the ocean to the west, Mt Soledad to your east and one road out to the south. Take a drive down Camino de La Costa AKA the million dollar mile, amazing homes but crazy prices.

Average home listing price in 92037 (real La Jolla) is 2 million 5. Median of the area is just under $800K
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Not Banned
    oh and as far as pay. Here in San Diego we call it the sunshine tax. Which means people work for less just to stay here. So pay here is typically NOT commensurate with standard of living. We get by out here but there is a price to pay. People ask why, we answer "cause it's worth it"
    look me and/or Svend up when ya come out for a look see.
    Ya going into BioTech research of some sort?

PhotonFreak
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Living here in Tucson, I'm always jealous of the weather in San Diego/La Cholla. Seems like it's 70-80 degrees year round, maybe with a few days of cooler or warmer weather, but mostly perfect. Winters here are great but of course things SUCK in the summer.

For what it's worth, I was born in San Diego but haven't returned since my family moved away 44 years ago. It was probably a nice place for a baby to be but I don't remember it very well.
    I currently live in Tucson, though I went to college at UCSD in La Jolla. The week I moved from SD to Tucson, weather in SD was high 72/ low 63F for the week. In early August. When I arrived in Tucson it was 114F... Weather is definitely better in the San Diego area. (today's weather by zip code: 85716: 101F/61F; 92037: 83F/61F ) Overall I don't mind Tucson weather at all -- lots of my friends in SD said I wouldn't survive a year out here, but hot summers don't bother me nearly as much as having to deal with snow/ice/seriously cold weather.

The college was known by many as UC "Socially Dead" largely because so many people had to live well outside of town and commute in due to the high cost of living in La Jolla. On-campus life was pretty dead. I have a nice 1 bedroom apartment in Tucson for the same price as splitting a 2-bedroom apartment (of similar quality) with 3 other people in La Jolla. Oh, the cheapest parking permit at UCSD (which didn't even remotely guarantee a space would be available) was about $800/year. That's the reason I started bike commuting...
    Last edited by PhotonFreak; 10-14-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Not Banned

screw North County

I'll keep this in mind. We'd probably have to rent for the first few months and check out some area locales. LIke I said, I hope this doesn't become an issue, I like the PNW quite a bit currently.
    suburbs is for teh squares, lots of nervous white folk skeered their kids will get beat up in school
    Uptown is where ya want to be. Better food, better bars and yes, we have a velodrome

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    suburbs is for teh squares, lots of nervous white folk skeered their kids will get beat up in school
    Uptown is where ya want to be. Better food, better bars and yes, we have a velodrome
    Do what ATP says. His house was my second home much of last year (I know, you would never know it over in PO), and there is so much to do and so much culture to be experienced just by walking around the area. And there's a velodrome. You could work out a commute route to LaJolla from there plus you would be going the opposite direction of traffic when you would ride/drive into the city from LaJolla. Year round cycling, even if you ride by yourself, you're never alone.
    Retired sailor

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair View Post
    The only thing I can offer is that it is pronounced "La Hoya."
    La Joya, as in Bunny La Joya.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    I work in La Jolla a lot and while some of the views are nice, a lot of the people living there leave a lot to be desired. Too much "snootery" for my liking. I live in a coastal community about 25 miles north. Much mellower and housing is more reasonably priced. You may be well served to look at housing in the stretch between Carlsbad and Del Mar if you must live close to the water.

Riding is year round here. The temps drop between mid November (though not without warm spells) and about the beginning of March. Nothing that simple arm and leg warmers cannot usually combat. I think I broke my riding jacket out only about 5 times times last winter, otherwise it was long bib, under vest and thermal fleece arm warmers. We get little real precipitation, through there are a few months of the year where coastal fog dampens things fairly regularly.

Anyway, welcome to the area if you do head this way. There is a great cycling community waiting to greet you!

Just Plain Bitter
    As a life long SoCal person the "Sunshine Tax" is a reality. Bigbill and ATP are the experts on the area but and highly recommend following what they say. Overall the lifestyle is worth the what you have to go through to get it. There are days the traffic gets to me and say I want to leave. All I have to do then is get on my bike and go for 45 mile ride all with car lane wide bike lanes and smooth paved roads to realize how truly good I have it here. There is also the showing you guys pictures of us Grilling on Christmas day in shorts after a nice 60 mile ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    We have family in San Diego (Mission Hills neighborhood) and have visited there a number of times. I've borrowed a bike each time we visited and did a lot of riding in San Diego area, including La Jolla. Very nice cycling with ideal weather and actual bike paths and lanes, something you don't see much around here. What I remember from our visits to La Jolla were the beautiful homes, great ocean views, smelly sea lions on the beach and some nice restaurants. I rode with the local bike club on a ride from San Diego, thru La Jolla, UCSD, Torrey Pines and back. Fiesta Island in the bay is a nice place to ride away from traffic if you don't mind riding multiple 5-mile loops and sharing the road with tri-guys. Point Loma is another nice place to ride to. Each time we have visited SD, I've ridden about 150 miles for the week just exploring the area.

Oh yeah, Balboa Park is about as nice a city park as you will find anywhere -- including Central Park in NYC. In fact, I think they were both designed by Frederick Law Olmstead. It also has a velodrome that is open to the public.

Old, slow, and fat.
    Stay away from La Jolla itself. Go up the coast and inland a hair and homes become 'affordable.' To y'all mid-westerners, 'affordable' in So Cal is NOT what you're used to.

There's an absolute TON of rides to do. Someone's riding somewhere almost daily. From the Sorrento Valley lunch ride to all the Sat rides (SDBC, Swamis, etc) to racing Tuesdays at the track to the Thursday nite Fiesta Island ride. Lots of ways to stay in shape or get in shape if you weren't before.

Mtn biking is somewhat more limited and/or you have to drive.

The beach cities get way crowded in the summer from all the zonies coming over to escape the heat. That's why I suggested inland a bit. :nod I lived 3mi from the beach in Oceanside. Far enough away to avoid the hassles but close enough to ride/run there.

Watch yourself on the coast. Lots of scenery walking, running, and riding by.

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast