Flash! ah–ahhh!

Terra Nova: Is It Sucking?

I wouldn't know, because I stopped watching after the pilot.

Reasons being, and tell me if I'm crazy here, but it seemed that:

• There's only one interesting character (the military commander guy [Stephen Lang], who also played an interesting, albeit evil, military commander guy in Avatar).

• The main character is... a cop? Geez, in a show about dinosaurs, time travel, and a dying Earth, that seems awfully conventional. And deeply boring.

• The stars seem to be the CGI dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are very cool, but, how long can what are essentially special effects hold our attention, all by themselves?

• I don't seem to care about the main family at the core of the show at all. Not sure if that's on me, or if they're just that generic. Yeah, the Mom's Indian. So what?

• The show in general seems to reek of conventionality dropped into the middle of what then becomes a huge gimmick.

The fact that Brannon Braga is one of the two showrunners for Terra Nova does not fill one with confidence. It was Braga, along with Rick Berman, who ran the formerly successful Star Trek TV franchise into the ground, in large part through bad, cookie-cutter writing (and/or okaying of same), lame characters and lame plotlines.

So, I found myself losing interest even before the first episode ended.

Has the show gotten any better, or is on a downward arc already (my prediction after watching the pilot)?
    Last edited by SystemShock; 10-20-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

banned
    My 11 year old daughter seems to like it if that's any indication of the script writer's ability.

My wife and I make fun of the vehicles and the perimeter fencing. No doors and nothing to keep critters from crawling through.

At least the "6-ers" have reduced the number of critters that can bother them by having their "camp" in the trees.

eminence grease
    I hate to admit it but I'm not hating it as much as I thought I would. They've not rolled out the cliches yet and the story lines have at least be clever. I think the greatest risk is that the chief players become cloying, and that's happening in the side stories (disaffected son, cheating wife, ditzy teenaged daughter) but the main plot lines have been entertaining.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Matnlely Dregaend
    I gave up on this show the second week. The writing is terrible.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Brifter" is the coolest cycling word

Sleep Expert
    Yes. .
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can't stand it. No attachment to any of the characters in the show whatsoever. I'll go back to re-watching Battlestar Galactica as a lesson on "how to do TV well".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Totally believable that a stick fence will keep out hungry Velociraptors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I have a theory. So, I'm going to keep watching it to prove it.

Every episode will start with someone getting eaten by a dinosaur. The pilot didn't but that's because they were in the future, not the past. Good cop getting busted by bad cops for the pilot opening. How original.

Nope, it's pretty awful, but like any good trainwreck, provides some entertainment. Of course I've watched it on Hulu around 2 am while trying to fall asleep.

The acting is bad, bad, baaaaaaaad. The writing is bad, bad, baaaaaaaad. The characters have no depth, and need to all be eaten.

Yep, it's pretty bad.

Honey Smack!
    it's my.. "I don't want to think" tv show.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

RoadBikeReview Member
    The only good part about it is Skye.

Still On Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b View Post
    They've not rolled out the cliches yet and the story lines have at least be clever.
    Wait. Are there TWO shows called "Terra Nova" on television this year? Must be, because the one that airs Monday nights on FOX is riddled with cliches, and there's nary a clever storyline in sight.
    Allez Rouge

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Rouge View Post
    Wait. Are there TWO shows called "Terra Nova" on television this year? Must be, because the one that airs Monday nights on FOX is riddled with cliches, and there's nary a clever storyline in sight.
    Well, what I meant was while had established the cliches, they haven't built a lot of stories around them. Yet. I liked the story about the memory virus and I thought this week's story about the kid spy okay.

Maybe it's just Outcast withdrawl. This one is close to that and that one was cancelled.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Well, what I meant was while had established the cliches, they haven't built a lot of stories around them. Yet. I liked the story about the memory virus and I thought this week's story about the kid spy okay.

Maybe it's just Outcast withdrawl. This one is close to that and that one was cancelled.
    Stick to your guns, Terry... if you like it, you like it. Doesn't much matter what other folks think.

Heck, I'm the only person I know who liked Eyes Wide Shut. And I've stuck to that position, even though no one agrees with me, and even though I've come to literally hate Tom Cruise over the years.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    as soon as the son started "acting" i changed the channel and havent been back
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LONG LIVE THE SINGLE DOTS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aindreas View Post
    By the beard of Johnny Depp, that's a good looking man.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    I just experienced rolling brown out a few minutes ago. My stomach feels much better now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland
    Penny loafers are the footwear of cowards.
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    Is it safe to fart in these or will it look like a mouse running down the side of my leg? :p

Tig
    Valar Morghulis
    The commercials were a huge red flag, so I didn't even want to see the pilot.

Still On Steel
    Well, what I meant was while had established the cliches, they haven't built a lot of stories around them. Yet.
    In fairness, you're correct about this. It's the "Yet" that's the concern. The characters are such two-dimensional cardboard cutouts that a gradual slide into yawningly predictable storylines seems inevitable.

Given the hype, and the postponement of the premier while they presumably worked to get things right, I was expecting more than what we've seen thus far. I don't hate it, but neither am I finding a compelling reason to keep watching.
    Allez Rouge

Slightly Opinionated
    It's the only thing of interest on Monday nights aside from the NFL, and most of those games have been pure garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching