Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    a real member's member
    a friend who lives on the west side said my old place (near briar forest and westheimer) is under 6' of water.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    a friend who lives on the west side said my old place (near briar forest and westheimer) is under 6' of water.
    Its hard to watch all the coverage. It must be heartbreaking to watch floodwaters rise up to your house knowing that there is nothing you can do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I did not flood. My sister and brother both got water in their houses. The storm would just never leave. Glad it is finally gone. There will still be flooding from the rivers though.

Here is a nice clip of people taking the time to share some water.

https://youtu.be/-vlTWPq7ZY4

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just got back from my parents' house. you could not get into their neighborhood yesterday evening, unless by boat. Today, at 1230 or so, I could drive up pretty close to their intersection and walk/wade the rest of the way. By time I left, the water had run off all the way.

They had about 3 and a half foot of water in their home. The water had all run out, but they have a sunken living room, so that simply just made a pool (all shallow end).

We got a couple garden hoses connected, and we got a siphoning going (the old fashioned way), but the connection was not air-tight, and so this would not run very consistently. I will have to get a siphon pump at sporting goods or boating store, then really get at it. Plus, jam my huge shop vac in my Yaris, and hope I can plug into someone's generator, or hope it will run of the 35amp-hour AGM battery I have been keeping charged up for such occasions.

We need to get a "mud-out" crew to get stuff out of the way for the drywall tear-out crew. My parents may have already lined up the tear-out crew.

My parents have not seen it yet. They would not have been helpful out there today. Maybe tomorrow. But I communicated with them about what to look for. After I put some stuff in my car, and ran it to their hotel, I was saying we wanted to leave the windows open. My mom got worried about burglars. My dad and me looked at her like: "what are they gonna steal? We have already taken a hundred photos, and it is all up to insurance."

Then, my mom says her gold jewelry. Lawd, hep me. I could have grabbed ALL the good stuff and jammed it intro my pocket in five minutes! -If she would have only told me before I left their place!

Well, it will be a long process, but things are moving along. The hotel is treating them really well. A bad thing is it is about to get hot down here, and the mosquitoes only need a couple days to come out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We had broadcast on Facebook that we could loan out our canoe. A buddy from church asked to borrow it. He picked it up this morn, about 1030am, with another guy I have not yet met but a good friend of his, and they headed off.

They showed back up just as I got home - about 730pm. They say they were able to canoe a quarter mile to get to his house, then they were able to work on some stuff and get some stuff out. It all went well. They seemed tired, though. There was water in his first story, but it had really subsided - had been more than 4 foot.

a real member's member
    ^ well done, pjay. good luck.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

take on me
    Hang in there, PJay! The waters are finally, slowly, starting to recede, I hear...
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Hang in there, PJay! The waters are finally, slowly, starting to recede, I hear...
    Thanks! Yesterday, I jammed my huge shopvac into my Yaris and got over to my parents' house. They have a sunken living room, so there was basically a pool. Same for their den/study.

This worked awesome. The shopvac was getting full in about a minute, so lots of dumping out a full tub of water. My back was killing me after 3 rounds of this.

But we had a young whipper snapper volunteer. So, I say, 'hey, do you want to do this shopvac stuff?'

He persisted for about an hour and really got the water out of there.

Their place is a mess, but bit by bit you just get everything moving.

Oh - Also yesterday, my ma finally gets over there, with the key to their recently purchased Taurus - yes, two weeks after getting a new (used) car, it gets flooded - silt on battery, and air filter is sopping wet. Not good.

I attempted to start it, figuring it was gonna be totalled anyway, and I might get a good 3 minutes run time before implosion - just enough to get out of the driveway and parked on street.

So, we move stuff out of the driveway, everyone steps back, knowing I have one run to qualify for Olympic bobsledding, then of course the females continue to meander back and forth down the driveway.

So, after some shouting, they figure out that something is up, and they agree to give us men like 30 seconds of a clear path before they get back to whatever they were doing.

This car is bricked and would not start. Would do nothing. We cannot even get it in neutral - these newfangled cars are a headache. So, part of driveway that would be good for spreading out stuff to dry is occupied by a two ton brick. Oh, well.

The great news is that we are having clear skies, and so stuff is drying out as well as you could hope.

Not all of us were flooded like y'all see on the news. But many many were. Everybody is either recovering, or is helping volunteer or loaning stuff.

Flood recovery goes really slow. Sure, many of us are gainfully employed, and have insurance, but the range of things and tasks is huge. Getting a tank of gas takes a bit of strategy. Milk and eggs are around but sparse. Many have lost all furniture, clothes, appliances, and cars. Many are displaced. Getting to a shelter, then temporary living accommodations, then back home will take months for many. The insurance companies are pretty good. But many have to get car declared totalled, get rental, then work on shopping for a new car. Etc. Etc.

If anyone can donate anywhere, please do. Just check facebook or our local news stations, etc. That is a great way to help from a distance.

My church has maybe two dozen volunteers just coordinating our local efforts, with hundreds of volunteers out there right now. In the first month after Katrina, my church coordinated hundreds and volunteer hours and threw down over a million dollars for temporary housing, food, and supplies - incl. we paid the bill for just about an entire hotel of Katrina refugees. Your donations really help.

Master debator.
    About the donations, be careful you are not getting scammed. Many scams are springing up, and even many legitimate funds being quickly setup trying to help lack the knowledge or infrastructure to effectively help and your money may mostly get wasted.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    We were fortunate came thru high and dry but I have spent the last 3 days and tomorrow helping coworkers clean up. I know it's just stuff but it's tough hauling everything they own to the trash pile and then cutting out all the walls of a house to dry what's left of the house. I won't forget a fellow teacher sitting on the back patio trying to dry out her 7 year old son's pictures and refrigerator art while a dozen people tore up what's left of the house.

The JJ Watt fundraiser is as good as any. He's promising the money will go straight to the people in need. There is supposed to be an armada of trucks arriving this weekend. After seeing the piles of debris down street after street, I think it would be fine if he drove down the affected streets and just hand out multi-hundred dollar gift cards so people get get what they need now. I know we can be jaded about pro athletes but everything I have seen and heard says he is a real decent person. Being such a public figure, I'm sure his actions and fund raiser will be heavily scrutinized.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    Thanks! Yesterday, I jammed my huge shopvac into my Yaris and got over to my parents' house. They have a sunken living room, so there was basically a pool. Same for their den/study.

This worked awesome. The shopvac was getting full in about a minute, so lots of dumping out a full tub of water. My back was killing me after 3 rounds of this.

But we had a young whipper snapper volunteer. So, I say, 'hey, do you want to do this shopvac stuff?'

He persisted for about an hour and really got the water out of there.

Their place is a mess, but bit by bit you just get everything moving.

Oh - Also yesterday, my ma finally gets over there, with the key to their recently purchased Taurus - yes, two weeks after getting a new (used) car, it gets flooded - silt on battery, and air filter is sopping wet. Not good.

I attempted to start it, figuring it was gonna be totalled anyway, and I might get a good 3 minutes run time before implosion - just enough to get out of the driveway and parked on street.

So, we move stuff out of the driveway, everyone steps back, knowing I have one run to qualify for Olympic bobsledding, then of course the females continue to meander back and forth down the driveway.

So, after some shouting, they figure out that something is up, and they agree to give us men like 30 seconds of a clear path before they get back to whatever they were doing.

This car is bricked and would not start. Would do nothing. We cannot even get it in neutral - these newfangled cars are a headache. So, part of driveway that would be good for spreading out stuff to dry is occupied by a two ton brick. Oh, well.

The great news is that we are having clear skies, and so stuff is drying out as well as you could hope.

Not all of us were flooded like y'all see on the news. But many many were. Everybody is either recovering, or is helping volunteer or loaning stuff.

Flood recovery goes really slow. Sure, many of us are gainfully employed, and have insurance, but the range of things and tasks is huge. Getting a tank of gas takes a bit of strategy. Milk and eggs are around but sparse. Many have lost all furniture, clothes, appliances, and cars. Many are displaced. Getting to a shelter, then temporary living accommodations, then back home will take months for many. The insurance companies are pretty good. But many have to get car declared totalled, get rental, then work on shopping for a new car. Etc. Etc.

If anyone can donate anywhere, please do. Just check facebook or our local news stations, etc. That is a great way to help from a distance.

My church has maybe two dozen volunteers just coordinating our local efforts, with hundreds of volunteers out there right now. In the first month after Katrina, my church coordinated hundreds and volunteer hours and threw down over a million dollars for temporary housing, food, and supplies - incl. we paid the bill for just about an entire hotel of Katrina refugees. Your donations really help.
    PJay, you seem to have a positive attitude about all of this. I am sure your parents appreciate what you are doing. People really seem to be really coming together

RoadBikeReview Member

flood recoevry continues.

Things seemed slow the first day, but we were going in the right direction, and the task is so great that you feel like you are not even chipping away.
    Day 2 felt good. Yesterday, day 3, we cleared the house of all possessions to possibly save, got lots into storage space, and the tear-out crew tore out the last of the carpet, and tore out lots of the walls.
    Today, their job will get easier to hit: tear out remaining walls, with no family in their way, and get the drying apparatus going.

We have work in the driveway to do. Sorting, boxing. But very manageable.
    But everyone is getting exhausted, and feeling sick. I hate the papier mache smell now.

And I have to largely abandon the effort to begin teaching this fall semester at my real job.

And, relatively, we have it good. There are many who cannot even get back to their homes yet, or are just now getting back in.

Folks, donate if you can. Plenty of info out there on which organizations are worthy.
    Last edited by PJay; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:08 AM. Reason: correct spelling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Having grown up here, this all seems normal.
    A nice essay by a transplant.
    BTW: I got work done yesterday because a good friend, a Katrina evacuee, was willing to watch my boys for several hours. when she came to drop them back off at home, we chatted, and I commented that I think Katrina was worse. Here, we only had one dimension to our catastrophe: flood water.

Y'all have seen the media of disaster, but also of volunteers. Here, today, we had lines of volunteers in some places just waiting to be pointed in a direction. For Katrina, they turned away volunteers at the Astrodome there were so many.

I grew up here, and so I don't know anything else. But when you hear stories about Texas resilience, and amazing heapings of volunteer work, it is not some little angle of the story. It is real.
    Opinion: I’m new to the state, but I can vouch for Texas grit

take on me
    And now Irma looks like it's gonna do for South Florida what Harvey did for the Texas Coast.

And on top of that, hurricane Jose is roaming around out there as a Cat 4 now, though it seems like it (luckily) isn't going to hit much of anything.

Pretty BAD hurricane season we're having, wouldn't ya say? The getting-ever-warmer Gulf waters seem like they're rocket fuel for these bad boys.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

take on me
    How goes it, PJay & others? Things slowly getting back to normal (we hope)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Slowly getting back to normal. School is in session in all but a few places. Some teachers at school lost just about everything and are waiting on insurance, FEMA or whatever assistance is available. The extent of the flooding was unreal. Our Saturday ride covers 60 miles and at random places along the entire route would be the contents of houses piled on the side of the road and we were at the southern edge of the 18-34 inch zones. The 30+ rainfall totals extends for 50 miles north of here and 100 miles to the east.

take on me
    ^ Wow... that's really something SBR. Sadly.

I think ppl have forgotten how badly Houston and that area of Texas in general was hit, given the procession of hurricanes that happened elsewhere just after (and that's still ongoing).

Puerto Rico is the latest victim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12