Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fake President

Texas Coast Lowngers... Y'all Okay?

The news seems to be giving rain forecasts for your area in feet, not inches.

Hurricane Harvey is apparently really somethin'.

Maybe it's angry 'cuz it's name is Harvey.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Fake President
    Do. not. want.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, hope everyone out there is ok. I went through Hurricane Andrew down here, so i know what they are going through.
    Stay safe guys.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Way too many folks rode it out... Hopefully they stay safe as all the flooding records are broken.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I'm in Pearland south of Houston. We are somewhere between 15- 20 inches of rain in the last 48 hours, maybe even more and still raining. Since the area is flat, rushing water is not as much of a problem as slow moving or standing water. There is about 2 feet of water in the streets but most homes in my neighborhood are dry. This area used to be rice fields. When subdivisions where built, the streets were dug out to provide water runoff areas. It is so flat here that according to Strava, On a dry day, I can do a 67 mile ride with less than 100 feet of climbing, most of that is a couple of overpasses. Looks like I will be on the trainer for a few days.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
    I'm in Pearland south of Houston. We are somewhere between 15- 20 inches of rain in the last 48 hours, maybe even more and still raining. Since the area is flat, rushing water is not as much of a problem as slow moving or standing water.

There is about 2 feet of water in the streets but most homes in my neighborhood are dry. This area used to be rice fields. When subdivisions where built, the streets were dug out to provide water runoff areas. It is so flat here that according to Strava, On a dry day, I can do a 67 mile ride with less than 100 feet of climbing, most of that is a couple of overpasses. Looks like I will be on the trainer for a few days.
    Geez. Got a kayak?

Stay safe.

PS- If you feel like, update us on how conditions develop throughout the week. I understand that the buildup of water will be ongoing through maybe Thursday, at least.

Last edited by SystemShock; 08-27-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Geez. Got a kayak?

Stay safe.

PS- If you feel like, update us on how conditions develop throughout the week. I understand that the buildup of water will be ongoing through maybe Thursday, at least.

Hopefully he can.

If he isn't under water yet, he probably will be before this is over. And if he isn't, odds are there won't be power or water or food short of National Guard delivery for a long while.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    We are doing OK here in Spring.

We can hear a lot by Facebook - some people are getting water in their homes. It is very hit or miss across the Houston area.

And, at this point, most everyone in the Houston area is isolated - enough streets flood that you can only drive so far before hitting impassable road ways. The luckier ones can reach a grocery store that still has a few cans of beans on the shelf. The stores are selling out of the vegemite and everything.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    We are doing OK here in Spring.

We can hear a lot by Facebook - some people are getting water in their homes. It is very hit or miss across the Houston area.

And, at this point, most everyone in the Houston area is isolated - enough streets flood that you can only drive so far before hitting impassable road ways. The luckier ones can reach a grocery store that still has a few cans of beans on the shelf. The stores are selling out of the vegemite and everything.

Even the "lucky ones" may not stay that way for long...Given the wide area of rainfall with nowhere to go, I wonder how long before sewage starts backing up into homes.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    Hopefully he can.

If he isn't under water yet, he probably will be before this is over. And if he isn't, odds are there won't be power or water or food short of National Guard delivery for a long while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Even the "lucky ones" may not stay that way for long...Given the wide area of rainfall with nowhere to go, I wonder how long before sewage starts backing up into homes.
    It's rough out there, there are challenges, but... let's try to stay a lil' more positive, shall we?

I mean, what's next? Marc: "...And the living shall envy the dead".

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's rough out there, there are challenges, but... let's try to stay a lil' more positive, shall we?

That's what encourages people not to evacuate, not to take precautions and hope that climate change is just a scientific conspiracy. I really hope everyone is okay but knowing that humans are programmed to go down the road that offers least resistance I think things are going to get worse before they get better.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    That's what encourages people not to evacuate, not to take precautions and hope that climate change is just a scientific conspiracy. I really hope everyone is okay but knowing that humans are programmed to go down the road that offers least resistance I think things are going to get worse before they get better.
    No. Just, no.

There is enormous difference between cautious optimism in the face of hardship and clueless, uninformed obtuseness in the face of disaster.

You're talking about dumb people who drive into high water, overtax first responders, and never prepared for a moment for any of this. I'm talking about everyone else.

Optimism comes in many flavors, not just one. My flavor is cautious, 'gotta be smart and/or work for good outcomes' -optimism.

Finally... you did know this hurricane strengthened remarkably quickly in just the last 24-48 hours before landfall, right? Caught a great many ppl by surprise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    We were getting warnings since the beginning of the week that it was going to be a rainmaker - 20 inches over 3 days. While that may seem like a lot, it happens every few years. You stock up on food, stay off the roads, check on the neighbors and wait it out. Texas has grown by millions since the last similar storm and despite warnings, people who haven't been through one don't heed warnings. The ones who prepare to stay aren't the ones who overload the first responders. It is the poor who don't have resources to prepare, immigrants who are unaware, and the elderly unable to evacuate independently. A mass evac isn't reasonable for the Houston area if its just rain. Many of the areas zoned to accept a Houston evac already had people from the Corpus Christi/Matagorda Bay area where Harvey made landfall. Even if only a quarter of the population in the southern part of the Houston area left, the only reasonable route would be 2 interstates with a few hundred thousand evacuees.
    The TV stations are running 24/7 and even coordinating some rescues until(if) the feds get here, local first responders put out the calls for volunteers and were overwhelmed with boats and good'ole boys with jacked up trucks that can go though 3-4 feet of water. A local furniture store owner and Houston icon opened up his furniture stores and said "we've got beds and food if you need a place to stay". The sports talk show guys were taking calls from people who need help and matching up people who can give it. The TX National Guard has already arrived with a convoy of trucks for high water rescues and a few thousand troops to assist. By the end of the week, the refineries will be back in operation and the rest of the country will be complaining that the price of gas has gone up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you look at the radar, the rain has been coming from a couple main distinct bands. We have been getting hosed by this firehose of a band for the last day and a half - because storm is moving so slowly. I have not flooded. And now the storm has finally moved east enough that I am no longer getting the firehose. So, we may survive just fine.

If water runs off now, the remainder of the week may be tolerable.

Fake President
    Jesus. They're talkin' about another 20 inches of rain for the Houston area, yet to come.

Somebody give SE Texas a break. This is redonk.

Fake President
    We were getting warnings since the beginning of the week that it was going to be a rainmaker - 20 inches over 3 days. While that may seem like a lot, it happens every few years. You stock up on food, stay off the roads, check on the neighbors and wait it out. Texas has grown by millions since the last similar storm and despite warnings, people who haven't been through one don't heed warnings. The ones who prepare to stay aren't the ones who overload the first responders. It is the poor who don't have resources to prepare, immigrants who are unaware, and the elderly unable to evacuate independently. A mass evac isn't reasonable for the Houston area if its just rain. Many of the areas zoned to accept a Houston evac already had people from the Corpus Christi/Matagorda Bay area where Harvey made landfall. Even if only a quarter of the population in the southern part of the Houston area left, the only reasonable route would be 2 interstates with a few hundred thousand evacuees.

The TV stations are running 24/7 and even coordinating some rescues until(if) the feds get here, local first responders put out the calls for volunteers and were overwhelmed with boats and good'ole boys with jacked up trucks that can go though 3-4 feet of water. A local furniture store owner and Houston icon opened up his furniture stores and said "we've got beds and food if you need a place to stay". The sports talk show guys were taking calls from people who need help and matching up people who can give it. The TX National Guard has already arrived with a convoy of trucks for high water rescues and a few thousand troops to assist. By the end of the week, the refineries will be back in operation and the rest of the country will be complaining that the price of gas has gone up.
    That's some great 411, thanks.

And from what I've seen secondhand on the telly, yeah, the community over there seems to really be pulling together to help try to deal with this thing. Props.

Frog Whisperer
    and I thought that I was sick of rain here in WI, we have had one of the wettest years to date on record.

You texans, have had that much in the last day!

be safe
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    and I thought that I was sick of rain here in WI, we have had one of the wettest years to date on record.

You texans, have had that much in the last day!

be safe
    I guess its really true that Texans do things bigger.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

RoadBikeReview Member

Texas Rain Gauge -

Yesterday afternoon, I had the idea of putting out a rain gauge. I knew we were getting at least half an inch per hour, so I knew we would have dramatic results.

We got plastic cups and marked off inches, and set them out where they were not getting a stream from the roof or off a tree. One of my sons had the clever idea of adding a couple drops of food coloring to each cup.

We went for dinner at a local place, and checked the rain gauges 4 hours later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Texas Coast Lowngers... Y'all Okay?-raingauge.jpg  

a real member's member
    it happens every few years.
    not like this. the financial damage to houston will be more expensive than katrina. i lived there eight years and never saw anything close.

By the end of the week, the refineries will be back in operation and the rest of the country will be complaining that the price of gas has gone up.
    hope you're right. told my fam in okla to gas up all their vehicles.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    not like this. the financial damage to houston will be more expensive than katrina. i lived there eight years and never saw anything close.

hope you're right. told my fam in okla to gas up all their vehicles.
    I agree. 5- 10 inches isn't uncommon but My house is at 27 and counting. Wow. Actually able to make a grocery store run this AM while the streets drained for awhile. At least the house is getting cleaned inside and laundry is getting done. Bikes are almost perfectly tuned and trainer is waiting.

Fecal indicator
    here in AUS, they've taken ALL rain out of the forecast.

we ended up with around 8 in of rain, but no reported flooding. it mostly came in drizzle and intermittent short, downbursts, but the ground was dry and soaked it up as fast as it fell.

did a 30-mile ride this morning to see how things fared...craploads of leaves and branches on the ground in most areas, several large trees downed, mostly trashy-ass sycamores.

one was blocking a popular bike path near my house, just went over with a saw to trim it back to the curb line. about 3 min into the effort, a guy in a large 4WD truck rolled up and informed me I was doing it the 'hard way'...he tossed a tow strap around the trunk and jerked it out of the way in about 30 seconds.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member

I mean, what's next? Marc: "...And the living shall envy the dead".
    This does happen. Now, there are some reports around Houston of people saying their water tastes funny. --Early on, we lost electricity when a tree randomly fell on our power line - that got cleared up within 4 hours. Other than that, we have kept electricity, cell, phone, and OTA television.

In the last 24 hours, water has crept up on my parents, 9 miles to my east, and my bro-in-law about 20 miles to the SW of me, and each family has had to get out by rescue boats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    In the late 70's, we lived south of Houston in the Lake Jackson area. In '79, we got 23" of rain in 24 hours. Water was within 1 inch (vertical) of coming into our house. It's a helpless feeling.

We have and will continue to pray for victims and disaster relief worker in Texas and Louisiana.

We're in central Louisiana now. Thus far Harvey has given us a lot of rain but no significant issues, certainly nothing even close to what has happened in Texas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast